HRM input/opinions needed! Buying one this weekend.

Options
I've scrolled through some posts from the past on HRM's but thought I'd throw this out there- would like your input on the HRM you have and whether you like it or not, type, cost, where you bought it, what you use it for,etc. I don't want to spend a fortune, but want something reliable for running, beachbody workouts,etc.

I've seen a lot on the Pilot models...am wondering if wearing the chest strap is necessary for accuracy- it seems like such a nuissance! Is it uncomfortable while working out?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    Chest strap is absolutely necessary.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I use a Timex Fitness HRM with chest strap mainly for cycling. It has a good calorie counter and heart rate zones. I got it at Academy for $100. It's easy to use and I use it as a regular watch all the time.

I tried the Polar brand and was disappointed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I use a Timex Fitness HRM with chest strap mainly for cycling. It has a good calorie counter and heart rate zones. I got it at Academy for $100. It's easy to use and I use it as a regular watch all the time.

I tried the Polar brand and was disappointed.

I tried the TImex brand and was disappointed.. the calorie count is very inflated.

To OP:
    Personally I use Polar.. and always will use Polar. I like that they are easy to use, set up, and give a good realistic estimated calorie burn unlike Timex and some other models people have posted about.

I also see that you are a female.. so if you can wear a bra, then you can wear a chest strap... it's not much different. If you don't want a chest strap, then don't buy an HRM because you will just be wasting your money.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar RCX5 - ridiculously OTT, expensive and I love it so much. Cheaper Polar models are aces though - I had a now-discontinued Polar for years and it was basic but solid.

Best thing about Polar imo, apart from being dead simple to use, is battery life. They just go on and on like any other watch, whereas others need charging frequently.

Definitely recommend a cheap Polar though, particularly for a first hrm :)
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I USE SPORTLINE XS. FROM WALMART. 50 BUX. CHEST STRAP INCLUDED. VERY SATISFIED WITH MY PURCHASE.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I would not buy anything but Polar and yes, a chest strap is essential. If you want a cheapie without one, you may as well wear nothing.

Look for Polar on Amazon -- will be cheaper than anything you can find local I'm sure.
    I have had POlar FT4, FT7 and now FT60.

Tried and returned many others ---
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yes you need the chest strap but it just goes right under your bra.

I have the Polor FT60 but it has more features than I need. When I get my next one it will be cheaper and the only thing I really need is a timer and an accurate calorie burn count.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried a Mioglobal triumph without a strap. It was horrible at picking up my heart rate at high cardiac intervals. Just got a PolarFT4. Super simple with chest strap. I love it! got it from a local Sporting Good Store. Polar ! Polar! Polar! lol! Good luck! :)