Are you eating 1200 calories a day?

Options
banks1850
banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
Maybe you shouldn't be. Not everyone should be at a 1000 calorie (or close) deficit. For people who are close to their maintenance weight, I.E. people that have a BMI of 28 or less (if you don't know, click the tools tab and click the BMI tool) clinical research suggests that you should have no more then 500 or 600 calorie a day deficit, for people that are at normal BMI (25 or less) should be at a deficit of 500 or under. Why? You don't have the fat reserves to warrent this type of deficit, generally speaking, with the high deficit, and normal or slightly overweight BMI your body needs the fuel to continue supplying energy to your body. It WILL get that energy, if you have a large deficit, it will compensate by pulling energy from lean tissue (muscle) and that leads to less muscle mass, and a slower metabolism (because muscle at rest burn's 3 times the calories as fat of the same weight).

SIDE NOTE:
People with very atheltic bodies shouldn't rely on BMI as much because the calculation breaks down for people with very low body fat %

NOTE: I am not a doctor, nor am I a registered dietician, I am just a layman who has done some serious research on the topic and asked my doctor about it. He has concured.

Replies

• banks1850
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn't be. Not everyone should be at a 1000 calorie (or close) deficit. For people who are close to their maintenance weight, I.E. people that have a BMI of 28 or less (if you don't know, click the tools tab and click the BMI tool) clinical research suggests that you should have no more then 500 or 600 calorie a day deficit, for people that are at normal BMI (25 or less) should be at a deficit of 500 or under. Why? You don't have the fat reserves to warrent this type of deficit, generally speaking, with the high deficit, and normal or slightly overweight BMI your body needs the fuel to continue supplying energy to your body. It WILL get that energy, if you have a large deficit, it will compensate by pulling energy from lean tissue (muscle) and that leads to less muscle mass, and a slower metabolism (because muscle at rest burn's 3 times the calories as fat of the same weight).

SIDE NOTE:
    People with very atheltic bodies shouldn't rely on BMI as much because the calculation breaks down for people with very low body fat %

NOTE: I am not a doctor, nor am I a registered dietician, I am just a layman who has done some serious research on the topic and asked my doctor about it. He has concured.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update! Since I have so much to lose, I can eat 1800 calories and supposedly lose 1 lb a week, woo hoo! But thanks for the advice for the skinnys out there. :laugh:
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks banks,
    That's interesting. I'm 5'7" and (last time I weighed myself) was at 139, only a few pounds away from my goal of 135. Really I'm not unsatisfied with where I am now but still, just one day to see myself at 135. Anywaaaayy, maybe that is why I am always a little over what MFP tells me I should be eating. I eat a good, well balanced diet and I make an effort listen to my body and to eat when I am hungry and not when I am bored, stressed, emotional, etc..
    I guess I am just saying it's reassuring to hear that what I am doing is maybe ok.
    Of course we'll see in May when I'm FINALLY allowed to get back on the scale.
    What is the day exactly?!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Banks - so last week I tried your recommendation of eating a little more (current BMI of 24) and voila! I lost a pound! Looking forward to weighing in this Monday and seeing what's happened this week (I don't live and die by the scale - but I can't join your challenge just yet! - the scale is still a motivational tool for me, and I need all the motivation I can get!).
    :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey Banks,

I was looking at the calories given to me by ediets right now, based on my height, weight , age and activity level and based on working out 3-5 days a week (They average your workout to be around an hour each time), they have me on a calorie range of 1600-1700 (Seems like most of the meal plans average out to around 1630-1650) a day. That seems high on days I don't work out but low on days I go, which I guess averages out?? I emailed the ediets nutrition people to ask about working out and my 55 minutes on the elliptical 4 days a week and how much I burn and if I am eating enough, etc and they replied with

"The amount of exercise you do is considered in the total amount of calories you need for maintaining weight. Then we subtract the calories needed for promoting a deficit between the intake and the "usage", giving us the calories you need to eat. Do not worry about the numbers from the machine since they are irrelevant in this equation."

I haven't been following their meal plan close really but had used the calories as a guideline for a long time, espcially when first starting this, so I knew sort of how much to eat. If I were only working out 1-3 days a week, my calories would be in the 1400-1500 range.

Anyway, just wanted to get your take on how much they are giving me.

Thanks!
    Tami
    (again, my numbers are I am 193 (as of this morning, yes I looked! LOL!), 5' 5" and 33 years old. I work out 4 days a week and do 55 minutes on the elliptical + strength-training. I am probably going to start adding more and more walks/hikes to the days I don't hit the gym, since the weather is nice.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I do all healthy day, no snacks, even the 100 cal ones, I just can't eat all my calories, and I'm doing just fine with it....
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hey Banks,

I was looking at the calories given to me by ediets right now, based on my height, weight , age and activity level and based on working out 3-5 days a week (They average your workout to be around an hour each time), they have me on a calorie range of 1600-1700 (Seems like most of the meal plans average out to around 1630-1650) a day. That seems high on days I don't work out but low on days I go, which I guess averages out?? I emailed the ediets nutrition people to ask about working out and my 55 minutes on the elliptical 4 days a week and how much I burn and if I am eating enough, etc and they replied with

"The amount of exercise you do is considered in the total amount of calories you need for maintaining weight. Then we subtract the calories needed for promoting a deficit between the intake and the "usage", giving us the calories you need to eat. Do not worry about the numbers from the machine since they are irrelevant in this equation."

I haven't been following their meal plan close really but had used the calories as a guideline for a long time, espcially when first starting this, so I knew sort of how much to eat. If I were only working out 1-3 days a week, my calories would be in the 1400-1500 range.

Anyway, just wanted to get your take on how much they are giving me.

Thanks!
    Tami
    (again, my numbers are I am 193 (as of this morning, yes I looked! LOL!), 5' 5" and 33 years old. I work out 4 days a week and do 55 minutes on the elliptical + strength-training. I am probably going to start adding more and more walks/hikes to the days I don't hit the gym, since the weather is nice.

So I gather they take the total weekly calories, include workout calories, average them out and give you the same calories for every day of the week? I'm not sure if this is the best way (truely not sure, I'd have to look around). I can see the merits in it as it is probably much easier to maintain a specific calorie count every day then to customize it daily based on your exercise. I can't imagine it's a big problem though, at least until your bmi is around 25 or so. With the fat stores available I think this would probably work for you. Would it be better to eat the exact (or close) numbers every day instead? Probably, but that is much harder to do as you have to keep a much closer eye on your calories. So I imagine this way would be fine, the numbers look about right. For your weight/height 1800 or so is a maintenance calorie. So that would be an average of around 150 calories a day deficit, but if you add in 4 days a week of 55 minutes on the eliptical (call it 500 calories just to make it neat) your looking at just shy of 1 lb a week loss. Which is pretty good, you might even be able to bump the deficit up another 50 to 100 calories a day (if you think it won't make you feel to hungry.).
    The big variable in this is how much muscle you have, because the more muscle the higher your RHR is. If you have a heart rate monitor, you may want to confirm this by wearing it all day (24 hours) on a day when you don't work out. That will give you a pretty accurate measurement of your Resting Heart Rate and you will know with more certainty whether this is the right amount for you.
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks!
    This is really interesting. I am currently at a BMI of over 30, so I'll stick with the 2#/wk setting. I now definitely look forward to changing it once I get down to a BMI of 28!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hi Banks - so last week I tried your recommendation of eating a little more (current BMI of 24) and voila! I lost a pound! Looking forward to weighing in this Monday and seeing what's happened this week (I don't live and die by the scale - but I can't join your challenge just yet! - the scale is still a motivational tool for me, and I need all the motivation I can get!).

Wow, so.... I'm not COMPLETELY full of it? :laugh:

Seriously though AJ, I'm very happy for your sucess, it's nice to know what we do actually makes a difference sometimes! :flowerforyou:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Banks - I'm asking for a little advice, you seem to know what's going on around here :smile:

I started out at 165 -- want to be 140-145.
    Over the last week I've added 200 calories/day (2 cups of milk) to my diet. I'm now eating around 1400 calories. I do count/eat my excercise calories.

Currently, my numbers are:
    156 lbs, 5'7", BMR 1410, BMI 24.4
    3 days 35 min cardio & 2-3 days strength.

What would you recommend my calories be?
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I do all healthy day, no snacks, even the 100 cal ones, I just can't eat all my calories, and I'm doing just fine with it....

I agree with you there. I haven't eaten all my exercise calories ONE TIME. I always have at least 400 left over...I just can't eat any more!!
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i have to eat 500 more a day due to the fact i'm still breastfeeding.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Banks - I'm asking for a little advice, you seem to know what's going on around here :smile:

Over the last week I've added 200 calories/day (2 cups of milk) to my diet. I'm now eating around 1400 calories. I do count/eat my excercise calories.

Oh man! You flatter me, but I'm no better at this then anyone else, I just have a really left sided brain so numbers are pretty easy for me. Which is why I'm so good at researching things I guess.
    Ahh, I'll go by the numbers that I get. Assuming a somewhat active lifestyle, you should be at around 1950 calories for maintenance weight. Considering you are at a normal BMI I would probably recommend no less then 1500 calories a day. If you exercise, make sure you add in your exercise calories to that total. These things usually take a bit of tweaking, but that, to me, seems like a good starting point. I wouldn't expect much more then 1/2 to 1 lb a week of loss for average. AND, since you are at a healthy BMI, you should be mixing weight training in and really playing around with your exercise routine. You really want to try to keep your body off balance, keep your muscles guessing because muscles that are efficient at an exercise burn less calories to perform it.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Oh man! You flatter me, but I'm no better at this then anyone else, I just have a really left sided brain so numbers are pretty easy for me. Which is why I'm so good at researching things I guess.
    Ahh, I'll go by the numbers that I get. Assuming a somewhat active lifestyle, you should be at around 1950 calories for maintenance weight. Considering you are at a normal BMI I would probably recommend no less then 1500 calories a day. If you exercise, make sure you add in your exercise calories to that total. These things usually take a bit of tweaking, but that, to me, seems like a good starting point. I wouldn't expect much more then 1/2 to 1 lb a week of loss for average. AND, since you are at a healthy BMI, you should be mixing weight training in and really playing around with your exercise routine. You really want to try to keep your body off balance, keep your muscles guessing because muscles that are efficient at an exercise burn less calories to perform it.

Thank you... I'll give it a try. I'm on your scale challenge, so that pressure won't be there, we'll see what happens in May :smile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Wow, so.... I'm not COMPLETELY full of it? :laugh:

Seriously though AJ, I'm very happy for your sucess, it's nice to know what we do actually makes a difference sometimes! :flowerforyou:

Of course you're not full of it! :tongue: You're great - thanks for the support. I really think that the reason this has worked for me, is the SUPPORT component! So thanks again to Banks and to everyone.
  • banks1850
    Options
    just wanna bump this for another day or so, just so some of the people who don't frequent the site quite as much get to read it.
  • arubabound
    Options
    thanks for bumping...because I don't always get a chance to read all the posts....on the days I don't excersise I feel like I have too many calories.....and I'm tempted to go WAY under.....just to make up for not excersising....but I do feel that as long as I eat less than my BMR calories I should lose weight....maybe slowly..and that I can maintain better because I'm eating "normal".Does that make sense?
  • banks1850
    Options
    thanks for bumping...because I don't always get a chance to read all the posts....on the days I don't excersise I feel like I have too many calories.....and I'm tempted to go WAY under.....just to make up for not excersising....but I do feel that as long as I eat less than my BMR calories I should lose weight....maybe slowly..and that I can maintain better because I'm eating "normal".Does that make sense?

aruba, there are very specific times when you should eat under you're BMR. Usually Obese people can maintain calories under bmr until they are out of the 30's (BMR wise) but if you aren't obese, then eating under your BMR probably isn't a very good idea. Remember, BMR is what your body needs to function without adding in the calories needed to do ANY physical activity (like brushin your teeth, turning the page on a magazine, watching tv...etc) so staying consistantly below it is bad news for the body generally.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I think if everyone would see what their maintenance calories are with a calculator, such as the one of those pasted below, they would then realize that 1200 calories is not a set in stone number and also, they would realize that you CAN eat the calories given to you and still lose because you are still significantly below the calories you would need to maintain.

The first one is pretty cool. You can figure out your maintenance calories and also the deficit you would need for weight loss and significant weight loss.

Keep in mind that they are all a little different, so just average them out. But, it does give you a good idea of where you are at and what you need to do for YOUR body.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html
  • banks1850
    Options
    I think if everyone would see what their maintenance calories are with a calculator, such as the one of those pasted below, they would then realize that 1200 calories is not a set in stone number and also, they would realize that you CAN eat the calories given to you and still lose because you are still significantly below the calories you would need to maintain.

The first one is pretty cool. You can figure out your maintenance calories and also the deficit you would need for weight loss and significant weight loss.

Keep in mind that they are all a little different, so just average them out. But, it does give you a good idea of where you are at and what you need to do for YOUR body.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html

I think tam, you may be starting to feel the frustration that some of us "ole timers" feel. It's the nature of a post board to keep having to repost things, but it still becomes frustrating after a while. :happy:
    After a while you get used to it, but it still gnaws at you from time to time. People who first come on here are sometimes looking for drastic changes, not realizing that doing anything body related that causes drastic changes can only have serious consequeces.
    It's like Newton's 3rd law "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" this is SOOOOO true with the metabolism, the key is to keep the actions small and spaced out so the reactions to it aren't so horrible and difficult to deal with. Loose 20 lbs in 2 weeks and your body might just get pissed off and want to eat everything in sight for the next 2 weeks.