Leafy Greens Recipes Please!!

Options
nixirain
nixirain Posts: 448 Member
I get a produce co-op share every 2 weeks and today there were some greens I have never cooked before. I need some tasty recipes/preparation methods for these! I really need recipes for the greens, but any recipes for the stuff I got are welcome!!

Here is what I got this week:
Toscano Kale
Radishes
Zucchini/Squash
Beets
Collard Greens
Celery
Cabbage
Fennel
Cucumbers
Red Kale
Avocados
Broccoli
Butter Lettuce
Onions

Thanks!!!

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Any of the greens would be great sauteed with onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil.
    The fennel could be grated into a salad or you can roast it.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Steam your greens a bit to wilt them but not to the point that they lose their color. Blend half an avocado with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup lime juice to dress the greens. Also tasty mixed with some fresh, chopped jalapeno if you're into spicy.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Steam your greens a bit to wilt them but not to the point that they lose their color. Blend half an avocado with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup lime juice to dress the greens. Also tasty mixed with some fresh, chopped jalapeno if you're into spicy.

This sounds yummy!
  • nixirain
    Options
    Any of the greens would be great sauteed with onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil.
    The fennel could be grated into a salad or you can roast it.

This sounds yummy too!!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Mexican Shrimp Cobb Salad
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 as main course • Size: little over 2 cups • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 7
    Calories: 288.4 • Fat: 10.6 g • Protein: 28.7 g • Carb: 25.1 g • Fiber: 8.8 g • Sugar: 3 g
    Sodium: 588 mg

For the Shrimp:
    16 oz cooked large shrimp, peeled
    chipotle chili powder to taste
    1 tbsp lime juice
    salt to taste

Creamy Cilantro Tomatillo Dressing
    Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 43.3 • Fat: 2.4 g • Protein: 2.1 g • Carb: 3.7 g • Fiber: 0.3 g

1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
    1/4 cup light mayonnaise
    1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
    1 small jalapeno, seeds removed, leave them in if you want it spicy
    1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
    1 tomatillo, husks removed, chopped
    1 clove garlic
    1 scallion
    juice of 1/2 lime
    1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
    1/8 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
    1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender.

Makes 1-3/4 cup.

For the Salad:
    6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
    15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup grilled corn kernels (I used Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn)
    2 tbsp red onion, divided
    2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
    juice of 1/2 lime
    1 seedless cucumber, diced
    2 cups diced tomatoes
    1 ripe hass avocado, diced
    1 cup reduced fat Sargento Mexican Blend shredded cheese

Directions:

Rinse shrimp and chop into large chunks. Toss shrimp with a little salt, chipotle chili pepper, and fresh lime juice.

Combine drained beans, corn, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.

In a large glass trifle dish or clear bowl, layer salad ingredients starting with the lettuce, black bean mixture, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cheese and shrimp on top.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    This is a lighter version of a traditional Portuguese soup.

Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
    Servings: 4 servings • Size: 1/4th • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7
    Calories: 284.1 • Fat: 5.0 g • Carb: 37.6 g • Fiber: 5.5 g • Protein: 22.6 g • Sugar: 2.4 g

Ingredients:
    1 lb reduced fat, turkey sausage
    1 lb kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 medium carrot, sliced
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    6 cups fat free chicken broth
    3 medium new or red potatoes, peeled diced into 1/4 inch pieces
    1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
    salt to taste
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:

In a large pot, cook sausage over low heat. Turn and cook until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool. Cut sausage into slices. Remove fat from pot.

Add oil to pot, add onion and cook on medium until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.

Add broth carrots, and black pepper, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Add sausage, potatoes, red pepper flakes and bring back to a simmer. Cook covered for about 4 minutes. Add kale and bring back to a simmer. Cook partially covered until the potatoes and kale are cooked. Adjust salt if needed.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Sauteed Collard Greens with Bacon
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 72.9 • Fat: 4.5 g • Protein: 3.1 g • Carb: 6.8 g • Fiber: 2.4 g

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 slice bacon, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 bunch collard greens, washed and dried
    salt

Remove the tough stems that run down the center of the leaf. Then stack a few leaves, roll and slice into thin strips.

In a large saute pan, heat bacon on low heat. When bacon fat melts, add oil and garlic, saute until golden, about a minute. Add chopped collards to the pan, season with salt and cover.

Simmer covered until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Ratatouille
    Eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic and onion sauteed with fresh herbs. Perfect way to use up your summer garden vegetables.
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup • Old Points: 2 pt • Points+: 3 pt
    Calories: 103.6 • Fat: 1.1 g • Protein: 3.8 g • Carb: 23.2 g • Fiber: 5.4 g • Sugar: 3.1 g
    Sodium 96.4 mg without adding salt

1 large onion, chopped
    2 red bell peppers, chopped
    3-4 small zucchini squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
    1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
    4 large tomatoes, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1 bay leaf
    1 sprig rosemary
    2 sprigs of thyme
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
    olive oil spray (I used my Misto)

In a 4-quart dutch oven or saucepan, spray a pan with cooking spray. Cook the onion and the garlic on low heat until soft, 5-6 minutes, do not let garlic burn. Add eggplant, peppers and tomatoes, bring to simmer covered for 15 minutes. Add zucchini, simmer for 10 more minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the herbs, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Sprinkle on the bread crumbs and cook another 5 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Pasta with Italian Chicken Sausage, Peppers and Escarole
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 297.7 • Fat: 5.5 g • Protein: 20.6 g • Carb: 47.2 g • Fiber: 7.5 g • Sugar: 1.1 g

Ingredients:
    12 oz Ronzoni Smart taste pasta (or whole wheat or low carb)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 lb Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing
    1 medium head escarole, rinsed and torn into bite sized pieces
    1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Directions:

Rinse escarole and tear into bite sized pieces.

Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water. Reserve 1 cup water before draining.

While pasta water boils, heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil; when hot add onions, peppers, garlic, salt and pepper.

Cook until soft, about 4-5 minutes.

Add sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon and cook until golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.

Add escarole, cover and cook 2 minutes; remove the cover, stir and cook about 3 more minutes or until wilted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

Add cooked pasta, red pepper flakes, reserved water and Parmigiano Reggiano, toss well and transfer to a large serving bowl. Serve immediately.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Summer Tomatoes, Roasted Corn, Crab and Avocado Salad
    Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 2 pt • Points+: 3 pt
    Calories: 130.8 • Fat: 6.1 g • Protein: 8.8 g • Carb: 11.7 g • Fiber: 4.0 g • Sugar: 2.6
    Sodium without salt: 263.4 mg

Ingredients:
    12 oz lump crab meat
    1 pint grape tomatoes, cut in half
    1 hass avocado, diced
    2 hot peppers such as serrano or jalapeños, diced fine (seeds removed for mild)
    1 1/2 cups roasted corn kernels
    1/3 cup chopped red onion
    2 limes, juice of (or more to taste)
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro

Directions:

In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion.

In a large bowl combine chopped crab meat, avocado, tomatoes, hot pepper and corn. Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss. Adjust lime juice, salt and pepper to taste
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    Roasted Broccoli with Smashed Garlic
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1/4th of broccoli • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 126 • Fat: 7.5 g • Protein: 4.3 g • Carb: 13.7 g • Fiber: 5.7 g

1 1/2 lbs broccoli florets, cut long with part of stem
    6 cloves garlic, smashed
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    kosher salt and fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 450°. In a baking dish combine broccoli, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Roast broccoli about 20 minutes, until broccoli is browned and tender.
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    kale - make kale chips or add to soups. most greens i also just sautee with a little garlic. you can eat the beet greens and the radish greens sauteed too! if you don't like raw radishes, you can braise them in a little stock and serve them a warm veggie. roast the fennel - cut into thick slices rub with a little olive oil and roast till tender (this mellows out the licorice like flavor) or you can shave it into thin slices raw with a little red onion and orange segments and dress with a citrus vinaigrette for a salad. don't waste the stalks and feathery bits on the fennel either - use them as a bed to sit a piece of salmon (or other fish) on and bake.
  • yubafarm
    yubafarm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    From a kale / collards lover:

light version: chop and steam the greens until desired tenderness, toss with salt, lemon juice and black pepper

alternatives: add some vegetable broth, balsamic vinegar (helpful if you find them bitter), or a blend of toasted sesame oil and ginger

try raw kale - chop into very thin strips, toss with toasted sesame oil, balsamic, lemon juice and salt (acquired taste, many love it, not my fave)

entrees: add kale to soups, any vegetable stir fry with onions, garlic etc.; stir fry or steam and add to eggs

if you're feeling adventurous, google "kale chips", many recipes for toasting them in oven but they are really best made in a dehydrator, if you really feel adventurous try this, but warning these are addictive and watch the calories from the cashews, I add fewer cashews to mine: http://prideandvegudice.com/2011/06/12/cheesy-kale-chips/
  • heidikat72
    heidikat72 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    oh and beets are easy to roast too - wrap in aluminum foil and roast until you can easily pierce with a fork. they are much easier to peel after you cook them.
  • nixirain
    Options
    Awesome ideas guys!! I see I am not the only skinnytaste.com fan out there :smile:

I love all these ideas and cannot wait to try them out this week!

Thank you for the tip about the roasted beets and the idea about the radishes, I have SO MANY!!! LOL