Who upped they're calories and didn't lose weight?

Options
Hi just out of research who upped they're calories & didn't lose weight or gained ?
I've upped mine from 1200 to 1700 gross a day losing slightly more but see I should up them more?

Any insight?

Replies

• 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When I upped mine, I did it gradually. If you jump from 1200 to 1700 there may be an initial gain, but it will level out and you will start losing again.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose, but I find that I maintain and feel so much better with more calories. I eat about 2200 a day for maintenance, so I would say about 1900 net for steady loss is a good plan assuming you are decently active :D
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you up them? Depending on how long you were at your lower cal intake you might stay the same weight or gain a little bit before your Metabolism resets and then you'll start losing...

You're recommended to wait about 4 weeks before you re-evaluate. It took 2 weeks for me, but everyone's different.
  • asteelman4
    asteelman4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When i first started i had mine to about 1200 a day but before i started to change my eating habits i was eating over 2000 calories a day which was really horrible for me at least.. I heard that the most you are suppose to eat a day is at least 2000 a day so thats what mine is now set on! && its just enough for me! Maybe up it a little more everyday and see if you notice any changes?
  • PtownKween
    PtownKween Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    well 1200 to 1700 is a lot. maybe try 1200 then 1400 then 1700 every week or two
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose! I upped mine for a month and gained 5 lbs, put them back down to around 1300 and i'm losing again!!

I am pretty small tho, only 5'2", weigh 132 lbs and have a desk job, so my BMR is low and so is my TDEE apart from on training days!

Everyone is different i guess!! x
  • KathieSwenson
    KathieSwenson Posts: 179
    Options
    You may have also upped them to much. Generally when you up you up to 1400 which is the next activity level setting. Most people only up by a few hundred not by 500 calories. 1700 may be you maintain calorie range in which case you need to decrease back to about 1400. Since you were at 1200 to loose which I am assuming is probably 2LBS per week, Then you may need to bring it down a little. I would keep watching it. IF You are still maintaining after 4 weeks and not loosing or gaining, I would decrease to 1400 and see what happens.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yes..... you've upped your gross calories, but your net is still really low becuase of all the amazing workouts you do. i think you should try and increase your net to at least your BMR
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I upped mine just 2 days ago from 1580 to 1820 after being stuck on a plateau for a few weeks. A friend asked about the weekly net calories info you can get and I had a look at mine and saw I was averaging around 1300. Bit low for someone who's exercising 6 days a week!

Hoping the extra calories to fuel the extra exercise gets everything moving again!
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    There is a lot more to it than just gross calories. The new thing Im going with is eating around my BMR in NET calories. I eat a good portion of my exercise calories, and Im feeling a lot better mentally and physically. When I was aiming for 1200 gross or net, I was always feeling deprived. Increase until you feel comfortable with it and make adjustments as you see how things work.
  • CampinGal34
    CampinGal34 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am at my 4th week....went from 1300 to 1800. I have not gained or lost anything. I was told to give it 4-6 wks since I was at 1200/1300 for so long. I figure at least I'm not gaining, right? We shall see!!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to accomplish and how active you are! If you are highly active, you could eat 1700 and still lose. But that rather sounds like maintenance calories.
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes..... you've upped your gross calories, but your net is still really low becuase of all the amazing workouts you do. i think you should try and increase your net to at least your BMR

^^^This! I also end up really low net cals and sometimes negative. I stalled out when eating 1200 a day so I also jumped right up to 1700. I lost 3 the first week and then another 1.6 the next week. I have to try really hard to eat more. I have been eating some of my exercise cals back also. So sometimes I eat between 1900- 2000 or more depending how much I work out. :) Good luck...keep at it, it does work! Eating more and still losing makes me happy haha!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    upped mine from 1400 to 1700 and nothing but massive 3 kilo gain in 4 weeks.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I upped mine gradually also. I was at 1200 then 1300, then 1500. Last week I was at 1700 and dropped a pound. I am aiming for 1800 this week.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I was on mainly 1300 went to 1500 lost 1lbs then to 1600 list 1.5lbs next I upped them to 1649 lost 1 lbs been 1700 this week weigh ins Tuesday
    I do Zumba class 2x week wii Zumba 2 intense 4 times a week
    I'm not sure to stay on 1700 or increase to 1750 then 1800

I've started strenght training low

I'm now 203lbs
    My BMR is 1628 my TDEE is 2200

I'm 5ft 2 and 42 I'd like to be 136lbs

Thanks for your replies
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Haha your my weightloss fairy god mother :)) xx
  • Razzlebari
    Razzlebari Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had been going up and down and up and down, hovering on the same 3 pounds for MONTHS on a 1500ish calorie diet (I'm 5'7" with a BMR of around 2000 and daily cardio workouts). Once I upped my calories to 1700 NET (ie: usually 2100-2200 total, with my workouts), I've been steadily losing for a few weeks, now. It's nice to not stress about calories, since I usually end my day with a few left over, and I'm REALLY pleased that I'm losing steadily, instead of this up and down baloney.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    After being on a six month plateau I upped my calories for six days and gained at least a pound a day (went from approximately 1400 to 1900 cals/day) In my head I know there is no way I could have gained that weight because everything I have read says it takes a 3500 cal surplus to gain a pound, but the scale says different. Beyond frustrated at this point. Beginning to wonder if I will EVER be able to live/eat/exercise like a "normal" person....I highly doubt it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Who upped they're calories and didn't lose weight?

Every single person used to validate the Bodyweight Simulator at http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/ ??