Week 1 Day 1 C25k

Options
Did my first day of C25k this morning. I was feeling pretty bad about my fitness level when I got done. I did the whole thing but only was able to jog 4 of the 8 jogging parts but I walked the entire time at around 2.8 mph. But then I started reading some posts and saw this closing on someone's signature "Don't worry about how fast you are going, you are still lapping the person on the couch." Sorry, I can't remember who's signature it was on but it was so uplifting to me and thank you for posting it. I could have still been on the couch watching TV, napping or reading. So, I then decided to not be so hard on myself and tomorrow when I do it, I'm aiming for 5 of the 8 jogging parts and if I have to do Week 1 over again to get it right, I will!!!!

I found out on Monday that I'm pre-diabetic and am insulin resistant with extremely low Vitamin D and borderline hypothyroidism. Gosh, no wonder I've been feeling like a slug. However, as all of you know, pre-diabetic and insulin resistance can be fixed with diet and exercise. A friend pointed me to MFP and I love the food tracking features and especially the part at the bottom that shows what you will weigh in 5 weeks if you eat this way. That's so motivating to me.

So, any tips or suggestions you can give me, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 Day 1 today as well. Hopefully in 9 weeks we will both be posting about our 3.1 mile runs.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting out there! That is in awesome quote :) Good luck getting your diabetes under control, I am also hypo (Hashimoto's Disease). You can do it, and you will do it. Keep it up!

PS. I am also in OH! :) Got to run in the rain this morning, it was beautiful!
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just finished W5D3 (20 min run) and I impressed myself because I actually ran/jogged the entire 20 min. You have to push yourself harder than you ever have with this program but it is very rewarding. It may seem near impossible at first, but then you start improving and thinking "Wow, I may actually be a runner one day!"

FYI, I run at a minimum of 5.2 mph and walk at a minimum of 3.2 mph
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first week - and I have actually seen several people with that saying either as their signature or as just a saying on their profile. I am doing a self-modified version of C25K. It was difficult for me to time my walking/jogging accurately and I tried using the podcasts but they were too boring for me so I just use my iPod. I am starting by walking for a song and then jogging for a song - depending on the song I jog for a song and a half. I am not pre-diabetic so to say but I guess I would be considered pre-pre diabetic. I have a pretty strong family history of diabetes so I am hoping to stop it before it starts. MFP is wonderful in my opinion and I like the 5-week outlook at the bottom too, it feels like it gives me something to work towards.
    p.s I am in Ohio too :)
  • debduv
    debduv Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone. KatApple: I made a quilt for my son out of all of his baseball t-shirts. I have a picture somewhere. I will try to post it for you.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Did my first day of C25k this morning. I was feeling pretty bad about my fitness level when I got done. I did the whole thing but only was able to jog 4 of the 8 jogging parts but I walked the entire time at around 2.8 mph. But then I started reading some posts and saw this closing on someone's signature "Don't worry about how fast you are going, you are still lapping the person on the couch." Sorry, I can't remember who's signature it was on but it was so uplifting to me and thank you for posting it. I could have still been on the couch watching TV, napping or reading. So, I then decided to not be so hard on myself and tomorrow when I do it, I'm aiming for 5 of the 8 jogging parts and if I have to do Week 1 over again to get it right, I will!!!!

I found out on Monday that I'm pre-diabetic and am insulin resistant with extremely low Vitamin D and borderline hypothyroidism. Gosh, no wonder I've been feeling like a slug. However, as all of you know, pre-diabetic and insulin resistance can be fixed with diet and exercise. A friend pointed me to MFP and I love the food tracking features and especially the part at the bottom that shows what you will weigh in 5 weeks if you eat this way. That's so motivating to me.

So, any tips or suggestions you can give me, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I have a very similar background to you--I found out that I am insulin resistant and have PCOS in May 2009. I was told that I have a thyroid disorder, but none of the bloodwork panels could "confirm" hashis or hypo. I have been working doubly hard to try to lose the 49 lbs I gained with the disorders. I am starting C25K this week and am excited to see others like me on this journey! Best wishes to you!!
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just did W1D2 this morning. My legs were really stiff and sore yesterday and this morning, but actually feel much better after this morning's workout. Have you done day two yet?
  • frecklesthehen
    Options
    i read the directions wrong and spent my "first week" jogging 30sec walking 90sec. I now consider that a pre-week. Maybe doing a modified week like that will help you.
  • orlandosgoddess21
    orlandosgoddess21 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant too! Now it's only been a few days but I have been exercising everyday and I feel great. I'm starting smaller doing EA Active for twenty minutes cause I'm not at a 5K level yet, but I feel so much better. If the running made you feel defeated, maybe start smaller? But either way GREAT JOB!!
  • CAN_DO
    CAN_DO Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i am also on my Week1 Day of C25K alot harder that i thought it was i am going to try again tomorrow as i onlhy did 25mins out 30mins but i did 3 jogs and walked the rest, the only probably is that i live in Hastings which is know for its hills there is not where you can do this on the flat and where no one will see you x

Maybe we should all become C25K buddies :)
  • kkmarie11
    kkmarie11 Posts: 114
    Options
    im on day1 week 6 i didnt start from the beginning since i was already running a full mile per day and was in pretty okay shape so stick through it its so worth it! Don't worry about your speed either i do it on my treadmill and i find if i run at .5 of a lower speed i stick through it and will do the whole thing because if i run to fast im more likely to quit the whole point is to finish it so even if your running at a slow speed at the end of 9 weeks at least you finished it built your endurance and then you can try getting faster and faster. slow and steady wins the race!
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The first day I did C25k, I thought I was never going to finish. The run intervals seemed impossible. Every muscle hurt and I could hardly breathe. The next day, I couldn't move without pain. BUT, as I got stronger, it didn't hurt as much. I could run longer, and my lungs no longer ached. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! If you need to repeat a week, no biggie. I ran 2 miles last week, and am working up to 5k. It may take me a while, but I'm going to get there :)
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first week! I started this program April 30th and am loving it! Remember though, it's not the speed that is the key. First you need to build up your endurance...hence the interval patterns. I use the treadmill and set the speed at 3.0. When I thought wasn't challenging me enough I tried upping the speed, but then I wasn't able to complete the workouts. So instead I have been slowly increasing the incline. By W3D3 that I finished today, I am still at 3.0 speed, but my incline is now at 1.5. Gives a fantastic burn...especially the calves.

You just need to figure out what works best for you. Don't feel like you have to run as fast as others around you. You'll get there one day, but not at the beginning. Slow and steady my friend! YOU GOT THIS!

PS-When I decided to do this program, I started a group on here to see if anyone else wanted to start at the same time. We post our thoughts after each workout and are here to support each other. You are welcome to join it...though we are around Week 4 now. Or might I suggest starting your own to see who is interested. It may surprise you...I started the group with myself and now we have 99 members!
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Well done! I also ddid week 1 day 1 of C25k today. I'm a total novice, so it was quite a challenge, but I plan to stick with it.
  • Mar1l1ze
    Mar1l1ze Posts: 16
    Options
    I did D1W1 today and thus far I'm feeling very motvated to go on - LOL ;) I'm loving this thread and hope we all get to the end together.
  • shiobeh
    shiobeh Posts: 12
    Options
    I just finished C25K Week 1 Day 1 too. I was surprised that I was able to finish the whole 20 minutes! I was not confident that I'll be able to do all of the intervals so I jogged slowly at first and when I was comfortable enough with my pace, I tried to go a little faster but not too fast that I won't be able to catch my breath. I go slowly again with 5-10 seconds left because I'm afraid I won't be able to recover during the walking interval. I don't know if what I did is right, but it sure felt good. I'm trying to build up my endurance first and then maybe I'll go with speed in the later part of the program.

Also, aside from the warm-up walk I also did dynamic stretching before doing the intervals and did cool-down walk and static stretching after the intervals. I also made my own playlist, I chose about 16 upbeat and slightly upbeat songs and chopped them in 1 and 1 1/2 minute length. I used them as my signals on when to walk and jog. I even have songs for my warm-up/cool-down walks and stretches!
  • CAN_DO
    CAN_DO Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Please add me as a friend if you are doing the C25k so we can motivate each other.

I am doing Day2 after work today. let hope i could do better than Day 1, cant believe how unfit i am. but it will be well worth it!! x :)
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    In the 'run' sections go very very slow. It isn't a 60 second sprint, it is a 60 second super-slow jog. That's where I started anyway. :)
    [I completed c25k in Oct 2011 and just finished my first 10k a few weeks ago]
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Also, do the training outside. It is so much more freeing and rewarding than the dreadmill.
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great advice Leila. I find I have been getting winded after about 40 seconds, but it's probably because I am going too fast. I did do a bit better on Monday than on Saturday .

I think I am going to repeat week 1 next week.