HRM - Calories Burned - Tachycardia

Options
xd2005
xd2005 Posts: 8 Member
So I have a HRM and I'm wanting to ensure I am truly counting calories correctly.

As a background, I'm 31, 138lbs and I have a naturally higher heart rate. Part may be fitness, but some is just natural (have been to the Dr., even did a 24 hour holter monitor and everything came back fine, just fast heart beat). This was a few years back and I think it has improved a little since then (generally not over 100 resting), but is generally upper 70's-80's.

Anyway, my question is if I need to treat the HRM results differently because of this? Is % of max heart rate all that matters, or does increase from resting heart rate also matter? Am I burning fewer calories when my heart rate is at 120 than someone with a resting heart rate of 60?

As reference, I believe my max heart rate is probably in mid-190's (did a run last night and hit 194, averaging 180's...yeah, I was pushing myself a bit).

Thanks.

Replies

• realwombat
    realwombat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Xd,

If your resting heart rate while up and about is high 70-80s, that is completely normal. Tachycardia is (technically) anything over 100 bpm resting, and you don't appear to be anywhere near there.

There are many lifestyle issues that may affect your resting heart rate, including smoking, drugs (recreational), medications, diet and level of fitness. Your heart rate is related to a concept of cardiac output - how much volume of blood your heart pumps every minute. As you exercise, your cardiac output improves and over time, that often results in lower resting heart rate.

So, to answer your question... No, you should not treat your HR zones any differently, in my opinion.

Good luck,
    MJ
  • xd2005
    xd2005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks. You are correct, it's not at Tachycardia levels.

The 70-80 is while sitting, if I stand it does jump to over 100, but I'm guessing that is more of a dehydration issue than medical (possibly combination of both). I was just worried that I stand up and begin a workout already at 100-110 before taking a step, thus making it seem like I'm working harder than I actually am.
  • realwombat
    realwombat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you have a HRM, observe the "curve" your heart rate does. For example, it might go up to 110 really quickly and easily, but in order to reach around 85% of your max HR might still require a considerable effort.

Do keep a close eye on hydration, and keep drinking PLENTY of fluids. If you have means of monitoring your blood pressure, that might be worth keeping an eye on, as well.

Just take things easy and carefully, and don't overdo it... Good fitness level will come with time, and every bit of exercise counts for the better :-)

MJ
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure the max HR and rest HR settings are correct on your HRM.
  • Loren321
    Options
    I have a similar question as posted here.

I have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). My resting supine position heart rate is about 60 bpm. In order to be diagnosed w/ POTS during a tilt table study your standing heart rate must increase 30 bpm or more and you must have some of the POTS symptoms (i.e. chest pain, shortness of breath, fainting, dizziness, blah blah, blah).

When I am doing everything I need to do to help manage my POTS and my body is super happy my heart rate on a 45 - 60 min comfortable run/jog for me is like avg 155(ish). But since I have been lazy for a few months and let my health back-slide my heart rate is at an avg of like 170 for a half hour slow run. FYI: Other than the POTS, I am pretty fit at like 23% body fat, 5'10 160lbs.

I noticed that my fitness pal is predicting my calorie burn at almost half my actual calorie burn (per my Polar Fitness Watch).

It seems maybe I should tack on some extra calories...but i don't know how to determine how many. I should probably just ask my Dr...:flowerforyou:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    RHR in 60-70BPM is normal. Continue to measure your RHR lowering it is a sign of good fitness.

You should back off on your runs for a while. Try to keep your heart rate around 160 and build up to an hour 3-4 times per week.

By doing this you will improve your aerobic fitness, (and you will see that RHR drop)

Running to hard the most common mistake with new runners. It leads to injury, and a slower overall pace. There will come a time when that speed work will get you tuned up for a race. But you have to have a good fitness base to absorb it.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    FYI when I first started trying to lose weight my RHR was around 95BPM

It is now 55BPM