This whole "moderation" thing...

Options
Kooraloo
Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
I really struggle with. When I get home from school (or on the weekends when I'm home) I have the INTENT of eating healthy and ignoring the plethora of desserts my parents bought (brownies, 3 x different ice creams, popsicles, ice cream bars, chocolate, cookies, etc.) but every day I end up eating sugary things.

Normally it would be fine, like "one brownie and then I'm done", but once I start, I can't seem to stop. I keep telling myself, "NO, don't do it. Just one. Stop now." but I can't seem to stop.

It's mostly just desserts, other things I'm fine with.
Other than a lack of strength and control, what else could possibly be fueling this?
I'm working on my willpower by making sure that I don't have any sweets and stuff with me during the day (I get intense cravings during school, too) but when I get home, things suffer.... Lately I've been having serious cravings for greasy junk food too, but I've been able to control them. The thing is, halfway through whatever I'm eating-- and once I finish it-- I start feeling really sick and gross and afterwards I feel really nasty and guilty.

any help would be highly appreciated!! Thank you!

*EDIT: I forgot to say: I seem to have these cravings a lot BUT the compulsion is a lot more manageable if I know it's not ready (i.e. at home, at school, within a 10 mile radius of me)

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Before you eat something, log it. You're more likely to resist if you knew, going in, how much of your daily allowance is being used up. Also, don't eat a whole brownie. Take say, a quarter of one, and go elsewhere to eat it. That way, you have to make a conscious effort to come back and eat more.

You may also want to talk to your parents about not buying so much junk food.
  • raayfrancy
    raayfrancy Posts: 100
    Options
    What helps me - is that I'm a slow eater. I really get to enjoy every bite. When you eat at a normal or fast pace, sometimes, you get caught in this momentum because you didn't get to reach satisfaction.

Maybe try eating slowerr? :o

Best wishes, girl! xo
  • mkrainville7409
    mkrainville7409 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Before you eat something, log it. You're more likely to resist if you knew, going in, how much of your daily allowance is being used up. Also, don't eat a whole brownie. Take say, a quarter of one, and go elsewhere to eat it. That way, you have to make a conscious effort to come back and eat more.

You may also want to talk to your parents about not buying so much junk food.

I love this idea... I think I might try it for myself - the harder you make it for yourself the easier it is to not want it.
    Talk with the parents and ask them to stop buying so much refined sugar! you could tell them to invest in a Juicer and you can take natural juices and make your own frozen pops (I do that at home with Carrot, Pinapple, Apple.. all sorts)
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
    Logging before I eat is definitely something I will try! I know that I often freak out when I'm done and look at what I log!

I've tried the "1/4 brownie" trick but that's also a moderation issue for me... can't seem to do it. I think that maybe if I cut it up and repackage it it might work.... but having a giant container of open brownies definitely works every ounce of will I have.
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    I love this idea... I think I might try it for myself - the harder you make it for yourself the easier it is to not want it.
    Talk with the parents and ask them to stop buying so much refined sugar! you could tell them to invest in a Juicer and you can take natural juices and make your own frozen pops (I do that at home with Carrot, Pinapple, Apple.. all sorts)

Ooh, a juicer sounds really nice! I already eat a lot of fruit during the day and it'd be awesome to make my own healthy popsicles and juice! I've talked to my parents about buying less junk food, and my mom totally agrees-- she's been buying a lot less and helping me with choosing healthier options. Although NOW she doesn't buy the full sugar/calorie/etc brownies, now she buys the reduced carb kind that still has a lot of sugar. My dad on the other hand... he's a "larger" person (and his health is suffering because of it, all the weight from his stomach has caused his spine to go weird and earlier this year he had to get a bone taken out or else he suffered a 75% chance of become paralyzed because it was pressing on his spinal cord, and other problems) but he seems to not want to change. I've asked him to at least keep his snacks separate or not to give them to me, but he always buys a lot and always keeps them everywhere. When my mom and I try to crack down, he always sneaks and eats them and gives them to me.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have found eating slower does help. As for brownies, I cut them up and put them in the freezer, then when I want one I eat it frozen, that way you HAVE to eat it slow or break your teeth! No defrosting in the microwave allowed! It's actually pretty good as it slowly melts in your mouth.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    yeahhhh eating sweets and cookies and stuff slowly, or pre-logging them doesn't help me much, to be honest.

Willpower is overrated. If there is a pan of brownies sitting on the counter, put them in a cupboard or fridge. 'Out of sight, out of mind' works WONDERS. Maybe ask your parents if they can be more discreet with having junk food sitting around in plain sight, until you feel you are in a groove to be able to have a small serving every once in a while. The less you eat all those sweet desserts, the less often you will crave them.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, eat it somewhere else!
    When I want chips, I will leave the bag in the kitchen and when I want more I have to walk back into the kitchen so I am more aware of whats going on, also try consuming it with a whole glass of ice water so you get fuller.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider avoiding desserts altogether for a week or so... basically until you feel that they no longer hold as much influence over you. Once you find that you really can just walk past the desserts for a few days, try taking one, aware of its calories and your own limits, and see if moderation doesn't come a bit easier to you.

Ultimately, you want to be able to enjoy and appreciate each individual dessert to its fullest. As it is, eating them is probably more out of habit and curiosity. I have a tendency to do the same.

Another thing you could try is just really slowing down how quickly you eat them. Force yourself to realize how good the bite you're currently having is... we often end up concentrating on how good the NEXT bite will be instead of enjoying the one we already have.

Good luck!
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Everything you eat, think in terms of how much effort will it take to work off, or whether it is worth the value for the calories. For example, a few weeks ago, was offered a slice of pie. I checked the cals, 480, thats almost a 5K run for me. Not worth it :)

If I was going to consume 480 cals, I'd rather have four-five pieces of fruit for that amount.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Weekends are a killer for a lot of folks, unfortunately. It's also difficult to obstain when someone else (in your case - your parents) are doing the grocery shopping. I agree with the 1st poster, log it first and you're more likely to stick with your meal plan. One of my hardest challenges is NOT eating what the kids do during snack times. For this reason I keep yummy trail mix on hand because I buy the MOUNTAIN TRAIL MIX from Walmart and there is a little bit of everything in there, even chocolate! It really helps curb my cravings and it's a good protein option too.

Ask your parents to pick some up for you and reach for it next time you get the urge to indulge. You may surprise yourself by how well it works especially because the protein helps you to feel full longer.

Here's a :flowerforyou: !
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Moderation doesn't work for everyone. Some people can have a bag of cookies in the cupboard and it will last a month. Others will intend to have only one and wolf down the whole thing in an hour.

For some people, it's easier to swear off certain foods, or to at least decide that these are not foods that they eat regularly. You have to see what works best for you. Willpower is notoriously not very powerful, and there are current theories arguing that it's limited. Google "ego depletion" and "willpower."
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Eating highly processed carbohydrate foods and expecting to have that mythical thing called 'willpower' is like telling telling a crack addict to use his willpower to stay off the crack then handing him a crack pipe...

Start eating foods high in protein and fat, and limit your carbohydrates to vegetables, and when you're feeling comfortable with this, then maybe even try experimenting with some tubers (eg. sweet potatoes). Eat some fruit, as an every now and then food, maybe tops of 2 serves a day. Avoid any grains.

The above diet will take time to transition into, but you will find yourself being far more sated and in control of your mood, emotions and appetite which will lead to more in-control eating habits. Don't expect to not slip up if you try this though, any major shift isn't easy.

Most important, find what works for you.
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    Hmm, these are really good ideas! I'll definitely try the eating slower and in a different room. Thanks so much, people!!

Everything you eat, think in terms of how much effort will it take to work off, or whether it is worth the value for the calories. For example, a few weeks ago, was offered a slice of pie. I checked the cals, 480, thats almost a 5K run for me. Not worth it :)

If I was going to consume 480 cals, I'd rather have four-five pieces of fruit for that amount.

For me, 300-500 calories is no big deal because I burn over 1200 every day with my sports practice. I've tried, but when I put it into context... it's not that bad. But when I think about it just by itself, like, "holy crap, 500 calories? That's practically a meal!" (at least, for me it is), it definitely makes me pause.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know I eat out of control when I get really hungry. Try to make sure that you are eating often enough that you are not starving when you get home from school. Also ask your parents to keep fruit around the house so that you can eat it when you have sugar cravings. Bring fruit with you for when you get sugar cravings during the day and you are away from home. An apple or a banana is prepackaged LOL and will fit in most purses or backpacks.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I know I eat out of control when I get really hungry. Try to make sure that you are eating often enough that you are not starving when you get home from school. Also ask your parents to keep fruit around the house so that you can eat it when you have sugar cravings. Bring fruit with you for when you get sugar cravings during the day and you are away from home. An apple or a banana is prepackaged LOL and will fit in most purses or backpacks.

Same here.. I can go all day without food, but then I get home, smell food, or see the fridge, and I'll eat the whole thing. Err did, before I started this journey. Now I eat a number of times trhoughout the day, have lots of protein, and rarely if ever get hungry. Today, my rest day, I worked out side all day on the yard, hardly ate, and I am not hungry at all.
  • Kooraloo
    Options

For school, I usually bring 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 cup snap peas, 1 stalk celery, 1/2 cup mix of broccoli & cauliflower, and an apple. I'm definitely not starving when I get home from school, it just seems like as soon as I walk in the door (which leads straight to the kitchen x.x) everything I've eaten just kinda... disappears.
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    Eating highly processed carbohydrate foods and expecting to have that mythical thing called 'willpower' is like telling telling a crack addict to use his willpower to stay off the crack then handing him a crack pipe...

Start eating foods high in protein and fat, and limit your carbohydrates to vegetables, and when you're feeling comfortable with this, then maybe even try experimenting with some tubers (eg. sweet potatoes). Eat some fruit, as an every now and then food, maybe tops of 2 serves a day. Avoid any grains.

The above diet will take time to transition into, but you will find yourself being far more sated and in control of your mood, emotions and appetite which will lead to more in-control eating habits. Don't expect to not slip up if you try this though, any major shift isn't easy.

Most important, find what works for you.

I was starting to ease into something like that before my dad went out and bought a vast majority of the desserts & chips & other processed crap that I have at home right now, but as soon as that happened my healthier eating habits disappeared. That diet definitely made me feel better and I'm trying to wean myself off the snacks to go back to it!
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I give myself one day a month that I eat what I want I can't do just a little bit either so I control myself the rest of the time and just think no I can eat that on my bust day :)
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If moderation's a problem .

I suggest you get on the special k diet for 2 weeks just so you can get a feel for eating in moderation.

I did the diet myself and now I can say without a doubt you will learn how it feels to eat in moderation!

(At first you wont like it but eventually you get use to it just as long as you stick with it)

I sure did .