diabetic and sugar lows..

Options
im trying to diet... but i eat like all the time it seems.. but i have alot more sugar lows where i have to have something with some carbs.. then i blew my diet... i dont know really what im doing wrong.. i havent taken my metformin for over a week now.. but after i eat.. i clean house.. and i also have a very bad back.. so i clean 5 minutes at a time then sit.. cause of the pain.. but somehow i burn off the carbs that i ate.. so i eat more.. then do the samething.. and end up back where i started.... any help would be greatly appreciated...
sam

Replies

• Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar lows can be very dangerous, are you glucose testing? We are all different and what works for one person may not work for the next. This sounds more like questions for your Dr. or Diabetic Nutritionist as they will know your case and what is best for you. As for general diabetes advice may I suggest...
    http://dlife.com/
    www.diabetes.org
    I have found both of them helpful
    On MFP I would suggest joining this group, some very friendly helpful people
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/529-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance

My best wishes in your quest for health
    Panda_1999
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
  • imsomony
    imsomony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, you should most certainly be checking in with your doctor about any diet/exercise you're doing. A trained professional will be able to give you the best advice on staying healthy throughout your journey. I've got a lot of diabetics in my family though, both type 1 and type 2, so I might be able to give some advice?

#1 - get back on your Metformin! It was prescribed to keep you healthy and alive! If you don't feel like your sugar levels are balanced with it, talk to your doctor about another kind of glucose-controlling drug. Also discuss your insulin dose and brand, as sometimes the 2 can work against each other and you may need a new kind. It's a balancing act =)

Sugar lows are not good, that means you're not eating enough and not eating healthy while you're doing it. As a diabetic, it's essential that you eat balanced regular meals, and have light snacks between if need be. That means you've gotta be a food nazi, and I know that's gonna be hard... but the alternative isn't weight gain... it's death.

Carbs also aren't good. Remember, sugars are carbs, and your body isn't going to process them in the usual manner. If you're having a ton of sugar lows where you have to eat carbs to bring yourself back up, then your food intake as it is isn't working. I'd recommend moderating and cutting down on carbs, and upping your protein and fiber. Protein and fiber will help you feel more full for longer, and you can process them better. You can still have carbs, I'm not trying to say you can't eat them at all... but with carbs tends to come high sugar content, and when you peak, you also crash. Try to stay away from bleached processed carbs, as nutrients are stripped and all sorts of additives are in there that aren't good for you. Could you post an example of your days worth of meals so folks can take a look?

It takes more than 5 minutes to burn off what you eat, no matter how hard the intensity. But with a bad back, you should make sure your exercise is low- to no-impact so you don't trigger spasms or worse issues. Make sure you're stretching before you clean so your back is more limber, and the surrounding muscles are loosened up as well. You could take a walk around the block, perhaps stretching your arms while you do it... and that will help you burn some more while you're at it!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've known a few fellow diabetics who never tested to see if they were low they just assumed because they felt shaky and had cravings they also never learned how to level out and ended up binging. Go see your endocrinologist or your nutritionist and get some facts. If nothing else eat a small healthy single serving of carbs (15g) its usually recommended to have a juice or fruit, then retest in 15 minutes. Once you're in the normal range it should hold for a couple of hours. Pain actually increases blood sugar so your light exercise wouldn't be enough to cause lows unless there is something else wrong. GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! this is a support community not a clinic and it sounds like you need the later.