Wieghts? Were do I start?

Options
*WHERE! WHERE DO I START!....just grammar Nazied myself.
I've lost 35 lbs the past three months doing LOTS of cardio. I've built lots of muscle as well using only squats and jump rope/running/ellipctical for my legs. Yoga and calisthenics. I RARELY use weights. But now I'd really like to start toning even MORE. Building some serious muscle. Where do I start? I want to buy 15 lbs dumbbells and start using those. NOTE: My apt gym doesn't have dead weights and most of the time their machine is broken anyways. On Fridays I go to a nice gym to use their equipment, it's just across town.

6969923476_8888919bd1.jpg
This is my "Before" photo. by Khrystina the Ninja, on Flickr
3 months later
7113911025_7a0e286999.jpg
fitness by Khrystina the Ninja, on Flickr

Some advice or help?I would love to tone my biceps more, and the back of my thighs.

Replies

• funky_stripes
    funky_stripes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    wow ! I don't have any advice for you, but I just want to say that you look fantastic!
  • Lampy00512
    Lampy00512 Posts: 117
    Options
    Holy crap, you look great! :drinker:
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started with the book... the New Rules of Lifting For Women. It explains lifting and sets you up with routines and pics. It is not the be all, end all but certainly helped me get started.
    good Luck and I agree.... YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    To build muscle, you should do a calorie surplus. Here's a good starting point: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

As far as exercises go, once a week lifting won't be enough, so on the other day you could do bodyweight exercises. I've heard good things about you are your own gym by mark lauren.

You look great! Congrats on your success!
  • nottarzan
    nottarzan Posts: 1
    Options
    You look amazing!! Check out this website. It has helped me to get focused. Best of luck!
    http://blog.questproteinbar.com/the-rachel-mac-workout/
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a 40 lbs set for $20. Do curls, squat press, triceps exercises, use them when you do crunches, use them for oblique twists. You're looking amazing, keep it up! Gooooo Wildcats!
  • mosertheninja
    mosertheninja Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yup, GO CATS!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Have you tried P90x? Ive seen some tone *kitten* women that did it.
  • mosertheninja
    mosertheninja Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the P90X dvds but I prefer to stay away from anything that I have to do in my living room.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Starting STrength
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was NOT ready for that before and after lmao. thats all i got. lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just looked through bodybuilding.com and found some routines...
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nice Before and After...

I'll help ya out.

How many days a week can you go?
    What do you feel are your Trouble Area's?
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How much is 'a lot of cardio' - coz you look like you've got things pretty sussed! :P
  • Kikers123
    Kikers123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Go to the website weighttraining.com, they have some really good workout plans! You can create a profile if you want, and they give you a workout plan to stick to. Most of them are free! You can also just click the workout plans tab in the top corner if you don't want to create a profile. I just heard about it today, and I really love it already!