hypothyroidism

Options
So I was just wondering....do anyone here take herbs for their hypothyroidism? I have been doing more and more research on do's and don'ts of foods and herbs and other stuff and just starting out I am getting more and more depressed and discouraged.
My doc tells me that my levels are a really good but I feel no different.

Replies

• Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I know Goats Rue is good for lowering TSH levels.
    Do you have any idea of what your numbers are? (I have thyroid issues as well). A lot of old school doctors think that TSH of 0.5-5.0 is fine, but this is simply not true!!! It should be 0.5-3.0 If its above 3.0 then it is hypo. If its below 0.5 then its hyper. I would not take your doctors word on it being normal or not. Inquire and get the actual numbers. If its outside of the 0.5-3.0 range, get another doctor (or even an endocrinologist!) You may need synthroid/levothyoxrine to control it. I am very "crunchy" and im all into other alternatives, but if you have a real issue with your thyroid, herbs only help so much. Also, TSH levels are not the only thing that should be checked. Get Free T3s, Free T4s, T3, and T4s checked.
  • MelChrissa
    MelChrissa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty good docs as she does check all the above. She told me I am at a 3.0. Yes I am on Levothyroxin.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    3.0 is good...but if you are still having symptoms, then it still may not be low enough. Sometimes doctors only take into consideration the numbers when really it shouldn't be the only thing they consider.

Goat's Rue may be helpful...but whatever you do, stay away from fenugreek.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    oh and just wanted to mention, when you get your blood work done, try your best to get it tested as close to waking up as possible. As the day goes on, thyroid function varies. Thyroid as soon as you get up is the best reading you can get.
  • MelChrissa
    MelChrissa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty good docs as she does check all the above. She told me I am at a 3.0. Yes I am on Levothyroxin.

Honestly at 3.0 I'm half dead..I cannot go over 2.0 or 2.5 I really start feeling it; sort of depression, hair loss, achy hands/feet, tired, etc.

I also take t3 medication without I'd be catatonic...so about 80% of thyroid folk need t3 with their t4 medication. It's not you, it's your doc. Google "top thyroid docs" and you can find one in your area via about.com or Mary Shamon's website, I have an excellent doctor I found through that (actually two, a naturopath and my endicrinologist). You have to educate yourself via thyroid books and get a new doc if they say "you're fine" and you're not...that means your doc doesn't know how to help you.
  • Wisewoman888
    Wisewoman888 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use herbs prescribed by my Naturopath Herbalist and I feel fabulous!

Mail me if you want any more info!

No meds purely herbs, life saved through herbs, the Dr's misdiagnosed me as no thyroid problem at all
    yet I almost had a heart attack one night with a thyroid storm!

No hesitation with recommending this path at all.

WW