Crunchless Abs.. any ideas??

Options
I was just wondering if there are any other type of exercises I can do to strengthen and tone abs, other then crunches and sit ups?

Replies

• hahandel
    hahandel Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Planks
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I tried Hip Hop Abs which is marketed towards not doing situps and it was ok for me and the moves made sense but it is basically just doing cardio while tucking in your tummy. I stopped doing it because I wasn't getting much out of it and went back to situps and leg lifts and I feel better doing it the old fashioned way :bigsmile:

Planks are great too!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't do any isolation work (crunches). My abdominal muscles got noticeably stronger by focusing on compound weightlifting moves like squats and overhead press.
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Leg raises, v-ups, flutter kicks, hanging leg raises, overhead squats, reverse crunches, planks, side planks, tuck jumps, jumping rope .... there's a ton of things. Look them up.
    You can do a myriad of things by simply lying on your back and lifting your legs at different heights and speeds. Lift and hold at 10", then 20", then 30" then drop. Do one leg, scissor kick. Raise them up and down, in and out, side to side. Knees in to chest. Hold some weight in your hands straight up while you do this too for a different twist. ..... there's another, russian twists. Turkish get-ups. The list is endless.
    If you have one of those exercise/swiss balls, try crunches on those - they're different than doing on the ground and you won't get bum sores (if that's why you don't want to crunch).
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    P-L-A-N-K-S are killer good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I don't do any isolation work (crunches). My abdominal muscles got noticeably stronger by focusing on compound weightlifting moves like squats and overhead press.

^^^^^This! And running!
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Especially side planks, omg the first time I did those, my abs were sore for 2 days!
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Strength training and yo go. Balancing poses really make you use use core.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else mentioned, certain yoga and pilates moves really hit the abs--I'm thinking "boat pose" or "the teaser." You can google them for examples/videos.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    planks, ab vacuums, and in my zumba classes that I teach, I do a lot of hip-hop ab moves....just a lot of dancing and pumping my hips. You can see my obliques and my V..if I did not have stretch marks from 6 kids, my tummy would be amazing...no crunches or sit ups at all.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    great ideas...thanks!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I love planks, too! Regular and side, make sure to use proper form and hold if for a bit and you'll really feel your abs engaging! You can start with 30 seconds at a time and move up in 10 second increments as it gets easier for you.
  • TrishaB74
    TrishaB74 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses! There were a few that I've never heard of, so I will look into them. Sounds like Planks work best for alot of you. I appreciate all the great ideas! :-)
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. It was helpful to ma also. :) My abs are sore right now from the sit ups and crunches I did yesterday. I am thinking I would like to try these planks though. :)
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

this.

basically, any sort of free weight exercise you do will strengthen the abs if you use proper form. and you definitely want to use proper form for safety's sake!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

bow_down.gif

Seriously...what she said...and just because public worship doesn't quite illustrate my point well enough...

:flowerforyou:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    tuck jumps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    crunches are silly.

Weighted full barbell squats and deadlifts work the abs isometrically (as they are designed to function) and well, hit your entire core. They load the abs with far more weight/work than pretty much anything.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts. Problem solved. I'm on my way, by the southern hemisphere summer comes around I'll be much closer to a full 6 pack and I will not have done one single crunch or situp haha
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options

bow_down.gif

Seriously...what she said...and just because public worship doesn't quite illustrate my point well enough...

:flowerforyou:
    Again
    I like front squats since they really force you to use correct posture (or the weight falls) keeping abs tight, shoulders back, chest up, chin up, toes out, etc.