Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

you don't have to work out to increase muscle mass...

Jezebel9
Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
?
http://hypnoticsubliminals.blogspot.com/2010/05/use-hypnosis-and-visualization-to.html

In fact, one study took two groups of people to test this claim. One group exercised the muscle in their pinky finger with a small weight (that weight must've looked so cute!). The other group only visualized exercising that muscle, without even lifting a finger.

So what happened? The group that actually performed the exercise increased the muscle mass in their pinky. Obvious. The group who only visualized also increased muscle mass!

Any thought on this?
But I find working out very enjoyable, and I guess I am better at working out my muscles than visualizing working out my muscles.

Replies

• Where was their muscle mass increased ? In their *kitten* ? (I'm being somewhat serious too).

Also, can't imagine how much mass. They're probably talking 0.123 of a gram.
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Where was their muscle mass increased ? In their *kitten* ? (I'm being somewhat serious too).

That made me laugh! I saw another study that did the same thing with bicepts. I would give it a real try, but I really do enjoy working out more than just visualizing it.
    8)
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    It does make wonder if this could be helpful developing therapies for people who have mobility problems?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I've been doing it all wrong :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    i'm gonna go far out on a limb here and say this is rubbish.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Yep of course this is true.

<--- this bicep was made without any weightlifting at all...

*this statement is now void as I have changed my profile picture.*
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    This is definitely true...my big toe feels really stronger after thinking about it.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Didn't Star Wars teach us this years ago?
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    If this were true I would have gotten my first pull-up 6 months ago.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,177 Member
    didn't read past blogspot.com
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    This makes me laugh lol
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    I don't know. I visualized working out for years there and while I did increase mass, muscle mass? not so much :smile: