Nervous for my first 5k

Options
Ok I need some advice from "runners"...I'm doing my first 5k tomorrow and have no experience in things like this, what should I expect/do beforehand/ afterwards?? So far I've been doing c25k but have only completed 2 weeks out of 9 (I did both weeks twice but that's just cause I haven't run in years and years). I can't imagine running the whole thing and at this point would be happy if I could run half of it but I'm still gonna try (and hopefully not be dead last lol). I'm gonna try my hardest and even if I end up walking the whole thing (which I'm not gonna do) it's still better than sitting on the couch. Any helpful info would be, well, helpful. Thanks!!

Replies

• verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    bump-- I need some replies :-)
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Dont stress yourself and take it at your own pace. Although it is a race you aren't competing against anyone but your own boundaries of what you think you can do :) I completed a 10k in March and I was still nervous doing a 5k this past Friday. I am not a runner and I dont think I ever will be. Just enjoy the burn!

edit: remember to stretch and hydrate! lol
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I did my first one this past February. For me the thing to remember was to not overdo it at the start. Personally I do better overall if I just keep at a steady pace throughout, maybe sprint a little here and there, but don't get yourself winded at the start. I'm assuming it's a fun run type deal, try your best to get a good time for yourself, but don't hurt yourself trying to be the fastest person there if it's your first 5k and you're just getting the feel of distance running.

Hopefully some of this makes sense.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Just finish. It is still a 5k even if you walk some or all of it. Many people will be home in bed when you are finishing your race. Go have fun and you will have a time to try and beat for your next race. :-)
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    first dont change anything food wise. eat what you are used to. otherwise you may be dealing with an upset stomach (no fun!)

given that you havent fully trained for this race, start off slow. big mistake of a lot of runners is to start off too quickly. if you do this you will suffer for the remainder of the run.

when you get winded, walk until your heart rate goes down a bit and then run again

have fun and enjoy the guilt free eating after the race. :)
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous, getting off the couch is the hardest part.

Run when you can, walk when you need to. You're not going to run the entire distance but that's OK.. you are still in "training".

Eat something light but filling the morning of, something that won't upset your stomach (at least for me). Make sure you make it to the race plenty of time before the start, even if it's just a charity run/walk you don't want to be scrambling to the start line, thats just more nerves you don't need. I like to get there at least an hour in advance.

HAVE FUN!!!!!! <-- most important.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    For your first one, just try to take in and enjoy the experience. I have done about a dozen races now and I still feel a bit queasy for the first 1/4 mile or so. I tell myself that if I can just make it through this song I will be ok. My goal for my first was to do it in under 40 minutes without walking and I was able to finish im 33:43.

You shouls also read this, it helped me a lot before my first race:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

Good luck and HAVE FUN!
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    Hello! I was in your shoes not too long ago. I have never ran in my life until late December and ran my first 5k in March. I was really nervous and wondered if I would even make it, regardless of all my running weekly at the gym. You will be nervous but if you have been running up until that point, you will be just fine. I have ran one each months since March, so last Saturday was my third and each time I improve my time. From the first to the second, I had improved my time by 5 minutes and some odd seconds so I was really happy about that. Then last Saturday, my third, I placed 3rd in my age group. :) Just expect that the, 1. if you are not used to running outside as much as in, you will feel differently somewhat when you are done. 2. Your nerves might not settle until you are well into your first mile and 3. you will feel super invincible when you are done and then you will want to run another and another and..... Good luck!!!

Neecy
  • verapamil
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definately take all this info/advice in. It is a walk/run (with jogging strollers and dogs etc) so I know I won't be able to run the whole thing and honestly would be ectastic if I ran half. I'm already excited for my next one and I haven't even done this one yet!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Eat what you'd normally eat before exercising. Drink what you'd normally drink. Use whatever restroom facilities they have before the race, because if you're anything like me, nerves make you have to pee. :embarassed:

Just imagine it's any other day of exercise, but instead of using timed intervals, run until you need to walk, walk until you can run again, and repeat until you cross the finish line.

I like to listen to music and pretend I'm dancing to the beat. And I can use music to push myself further. "Keep dancing! You can keep dancing until this song is over."
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Start slower than you think you should. It's not easy given the adrenaline and the speed of your fellow RUNNERS.

If you don't outpace yourself early, you'll have SO much more energy for the rest. You're going to do better than you think, I guarantee it.
  • kprangernix07
    kprangernix07 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are hydrating 24 hours prior, but also make sure you pee before you run! Eat a good breakfast, but I wouldnt recommend dairy or eggs... they will just upset your stomache. Listen to some music on your ipod before hand, and get all jazzed up while you get a good stretch in. Dont go all out the first mile, you will need to pace yourself... but about mile 2 I usually hit my groove and its easier to run than the first mile. Remember to BREATHE! And just take it easy! You got this! Keep it light and care free. Your nerves will help feed your energy... so dont stress too much! Run through the cramps - if you get any... Don't forget to stride it out at the end, and finish strong! Then get a big ol glass of water and congratulate yourself on an awesome job! :) Good luck! you'll be great!
  • verapamil
    Options
    have fun and enjoy the guilt free eating after the race. :)

I am looking forward to that part too :laugh:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
  • peprwpr
    peprwpr Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5K today. It was an awesome expirence. I was no where near ready for it. I ended up walking most of it. But, I did run in intervals. I had a "runner" that was with me, and she kept me going. Run to that sign, then walk............run to that stop light.........walk, etc. She kept me focused and going. We just kept the pace slow & steady. For me it was about finishing, not my time. And, my time was ugly. But, next time it will be better.
    Good luck, and just enjoy it!! You got this!!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first on June 2nd. And I'm FREAKIN OUT!!

No point in worrying now. Just try your best. I'm can't wait to hear how great you did!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k last weekend. I have been running for one year before and I am still using the Galloway method or running.I run one minute and walk one minute. Repeat until I cross the finish line. Enjoy yourself,go slow.
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k last week, Saturday. I turned on my pandora, my c25k app and followed it. I was told that I needed to pace myself and go very very slow in my pace that way I could finish w/out hurting for a week thereafter.

Good luck to you. I wish you a successful and injury-free run. :)
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Great job getting to this point. I ran my ran first 5K about 6 weeks ago only 3 weeks into the c25K program myself. I just did 5K #2 last weekend and am only on week 7. You will be fine. I chose to interval run both of them just like the program but did a 2 minute run/ 2 min walk. I was with a friend who was less prepared than I and we probably only ran 1/3 of the race for #1. #2 went better, running half of it but it had a ton more hills so we finished in about the same time.

Eat something light in the morning (I did a mini-bagel with peanut butter and a Gatorade Prime right before the race), but like someone else said, something you're used to. Run your own race... it'll be easy to start trying to run with others when the race starts, but race against yourself! I let the pack spread out then just kept picking off people in front of me!

The other part for me was encouragement. Looking up, I was amazed how many other runners cheer each other on. I've loved it and make a point to smiling, nodding, something... GOOD LUCK! You got this!
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just walk to the tune HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE......try not to miss a beat and for heavens sake....HAVE FUN !!!!!!! :laugh: