Burning out

Options
I am burnt out on working out! I've been at the gym/bootcamp/personal trainers 3 - 5 days a week for 4 years. What are your thoughts on (temporary) diet based weight loss combined with walking rather than full out training?

Replies

• thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I started a low carb, high protein diet with just casual walking and that's how my weight loss started.
  • kbutlerrvt
    kbutlerrvt Posts: 41
    Options
    Eating better and doing something is better than doing nothing! Your emotional health is important as well!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great plan. Read this article:

http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html
  • kpetty60
    kpetty60 Posts: 14
    Options
    Cardio is the first line of defense. Anything that gets your heart rate up is what you want. Time, not distance, is the key to a cardio workout.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel qualified to answer your question, but I admire your tenacity!
    One thing I suggest would be to switch to a sport - more for the fun than for the "workout". Racquetball, tennis, basketball, volleyball, soccer, things like that?

You've worked so hard - your body might appreciate the break, and your brain might appreciate the fun! :)
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am burnt out on working out! I've been at the gym/bootcamp/personal trainers 3 - 5 days a week for 4 years. What are your thoughts on (temporary) diet based weight loss combined with walking rather than full out training?

I'm also cutting down on my training. I think diet is the key to weight loss and the training gives it a boost. I think it's a good idea.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! I would set a date to start up again, just to prevent a "slippery slope" derailing of your plan. Give yourself ample time to recover though, maybe 2 weeks or more.
  • Kimikaze79
    Kimikaze79 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started a low carb, high protein diet with just casual walking and that's how my weight loss started.

I have started on "my version" of the Paleo diet. Simply because I find I am sensitive to cows milk and wheat. I have been doing this loosely for 2 weeks and have lost 2.5 pounds in that time with only walking as a "workout". Hoping this will keep up!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The stuff I've been reading and following recommends strength training 3 days a week with cardio 2 days a week. I find it much easier to do my workouts at home. There are lots of free workouts you can find online and apps on your phone. Sounds like you definitely need to change it up and find some way to fit exercise into your life with a little less work. Good luck!