Giving up on dieting

Options
I got into the habit of dieting at too young of an age. Now that I'm a little older and have my own child I just want to be healthy. I'm trying to just give up the whole "dieting" and just begin leading a healthy lifestyle. One that my son will know and won't have to know the term "diet." I've done absolutely everything from low carb to juice fasts and hcg diets and protein diets. They all either didn't work altogether or were a short lived success. I lost over 60 pounds after having my baby (I was in the gym three days after giving birth and refused the hospital food to have apples and coffee) I was strict, determined and I'm back down to my pre-pregnant body (154) but have had the worst struggle with the last 10 pounds. I get into such a strict "no carbs, tons of protein, lots of cardio" kind of mindset, obsessing over calories and everything that comes with it. I get tons of advice from everybody but I just want to know a good plan for ME. Working a ton throughout the week I don't have lots of time for the gym but try to squeeze in a few workouts throughout the week. I've been doing 1200 calories since I first started my weight loss last July but have since upped it to 1400 as I seem to binge eat at least once every couple weeks. Any advice is very much appreciated. <3

Replies

• Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Awesome weight loss so far! I used to be a total cardio person. I am still very much into cardio but I do some strength training that is included in the Jillian Michael videos. It has really helped sculpt my body. I would suggest some strength training. Start off small by doing a video such as Jillian's 30Day Shred. It is only like 25 minutes per workout and would be easy to incorporate at home. I always did it in conjunction with the treadmill or elliptical. Join a group doing a video so you have support and motivation. I plan on buying a video that is mainly strength training after I get finished with a few other videos I've bought.

Good luck!
  • kpetty60
    kpetty60 Posts: 14
    Options
    Eating healthy is the lesson here. Most, if not all, of us got to where we are by eating whatever we want, whenever we wanted, and in portions that could have fed a few small third world countries.
    Coming to grips with eating healthy and to start moving (i.e. exercise) is the prime directive here.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I would set your goal to 0.5 per week and just eat a healthy, balanced diet, everything in moderation. That way it isn't a 'diet' as such, it's just a healthy way of eating that will teach your son good habits :-)
  • Cassandraemilyann
    Cassandraemilyann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Awesome weight loss so far! I used to be a total cardio person. I am still very much into cardio but I do some strength training that is included in the Jillian Michael videos. It has really helped sculpt my body. I would suggest some strength training. Start off small by doing a video such as Jillian's 30Day Shred. It is only like 25 minutes per workout and would be easy to incorporate at home. I always did it in conjunction with the treadmill or elliptical. Join a group doing a video so you have support and motivation. I plan on buying a video that is mainly strength training after I get finished with a few other videos I've bought.

Good luck!

I've heard a ton of good things about the 30 day shred. I think I might finally give it a try and see where I get. Thanks a ton!
  • becfrogs
    becfrogs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear! I see so many ppl dieting but never truly changing their eating habits long term.....and before long they struggle and gain back twice what they lost. I have fallen for this myself throughout the years too. Developing good eating habits and allowing a few unhealthy choices along the way helps balance everything out. Great post!! :)
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all you have achieved so far!! You have done so well!! Years ago, I went through the apple and coffee diets, calorie counting diets, yoghurt and black coffee diet ( can't drink black coffee ever again-lol)- lost a LOT of weight and ended putting it all back on plus another 40 lbs.
    I am a lot older than you, and have finally discovered "the secret" for me, at least.
    Firstly don't cut back on food too much- your body will go into starvation mode. 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks is best.
    Cut out fried stuff as much as possible. I spray and bake my vegetables for a roast dinner, dry fry in a nonstick pan or just use a little spray. ALWAYS have low cal snacks ( I even keep a low cal muesli bar in my bag ), and importantly for me- start moving.
    I was getting breathless making the bed, my first walk around the block made me think I was going to have a heart attack! I am walking briskly for 5.5 km ( an hour) at least every morning. Because of a few problems I can't do a lot of other exercises, but there is a gym due to open here soon, 1 block away, and I have already spoken to the Instructor re some upper body strength training. It surprised me as I got older, that I was losing strength, that is something I had never thought about.
    The word "diet" does not exist for me- it lives back in the days when I lost and regained a lot of weight because as soon as I had a bit of a blowout with food, I would simply give up. This is a lifestyle change, and life is for living, including the celebrations which come with it. The main thing is to get back on track the next day, and not to feel guilty. Anyone who denies themselves any kind of treats whatsoever is going to end up feeling so deprived. I have found that if I dine out or attend a celebration, I have whatever I feel like having ( without being really silly) and then over the next few days I cut down on cals a bit, like fruit and yoghurt for lunch or low cal homemade soup and a roll for dinner. That is what is working for me.
    I haven't been on MFP very long. I did join in the Million Kilo Challenge ( Australia) in February, and managed the 10 kilos in 10 weeks. It has finished now, so I am continuing on here, this is a great place. Have lost another 2.8 kgs since and still on the way down.
    Good luck with your journey, I wish I had continued on many years ago, you are all an inspiration to the oldies!!!! :)