Pre-mixing protein shakes

Options
I am new to the world of protein shakes. :drinker:

Is it okay to premix the shake for later? I mean the powder kind, not premade. I'm not sure if anything happens to its "properties" if it isn't consumed right away.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    yes...its ok...but I dont usually bother since it takes a few seconds...but its fine....might be some settling..you could get a blender bottle then when you are ready just shake it
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I think it'll be gross by the time you're ready to drink it lol. It really only does take a few seconds to make. I keep a plastic baggy with one serving of my protein powder in my purse for when I need it, and keep a cup in my car and at work, that way all I need is water.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    yes...its ok...but I dont usually bother since it takes a few seconds...but its fine....might be some settling..you could get a blender bottle then when you are ready just shake it

Thanks. I just ordered a blender bottle.

Incidentally, the banana cream flavor from Optimum Nutrition is surprisingly good. It's like banana pudding.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Thanks. I just ordered a blender bottle.

Incidentally, the banana cream flavor from Optimum Nutrition is surprisingly good. It's like banana pudding.

Same! I got some GNC pro performance whey w/ banana cream flavor... tastes like a banana cream pie milkshake or something, I was pleasantly surprised!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    AllMax chocolate peanut butter tastes like a Reese's :)

Back on-topic though, you can premix if you want but I strongly recommend you refrigerate if you'll only drink in a few hours and are at home or something as protein does start to breakdown once it's mixed. Also pre-mixing and leaving it untouched for too long can result in the bottle getting an unpleasant smell so don't let it sit for a few days unrefrigerated, preferably drink within a few hours of making it and enjoy! Just remember to rinse the cup after
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    In the world of sport's nutrition, it's usually recommended to add water to dry mixes and drink immediately (this comes from my big book of OTCs and supplements) but I wouldn't overstess little things like this...just as long as it's not sitting in direct sunlight for over a day
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Just shake it up before you drink it and keep it in the refrigerator. It is not recommended to freeze it and would probably taste nasty if it got warm (not that some of them don't start nasty).
  • spynoodle
    Options
    Thanks, All.

It won't be unrefrigerated for long. I'm just trying to avoid keeping powder at work and home.
  • DevotedWife
    DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In response to spynoodle not wanting to have powder both at home and at work, I've used the little sectioned containers for traveling w/baby formula to take supplements on-the-go. You can find them in the baby section in most stores. I believe they also make similar containers specifically for supplements.

51UKsMIBmzL.jpg
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    In response to OP not wanting to have powder both at home and at work, I've used the little sectioned containers for traveling w/baby formula to take supplements on-the-go. You can find them in the baby section in most stores. I believe they also make similar containers specifically for supplements.

51UKsMIBmzL.jpg

Brilliant! Thank you.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/All-In-One-Shaker-Cup/14654076

keep powder on the bottom, mix when ready
  • DevotedWife
    DevotedWife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Thank you.

You're very welcome! I'm glad at least one person found/finds it to be helpful.
  • sarahreischel
    Options
    I frequently make mine ahead of time if I am going to blend with fruit (which makes them much yummier). It doesn't affect the properties of the powder at all, and the only thing that ever happens is some separation. This is easily fixed by refigerating the shake until you're ready to drink it and then shaking it up again.
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just mixed mine for tomorrow! I've found that pre-mixing stops it from having a distinct 'powdery' taste to it and gives it more time to properly dissolve. just my two cents :)
  • spynoodle
    Options
    In response to spynoodle not wanting to have powder both at home and at work, I've used the little sectioned containers for traveling w/baby formula to take supplements on-the-go. You can find them in the baby section in most stores. I believe they also make similar containers specifically for supplements.

51UKsMIBmzL.jpg
    The baby department is one department I never wander into! Thank you!
  • spynoodle
    Options
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/All-In-One-Shaker-Cup/14654076

keep powder on the bottom, mix when ready

Also a very awesome idea! Thank you!
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    I make a Protein Smoothie at home with your choice of Protein Whey (no cholesterol) blended with Unsweetened Almond Milk and Frozen Fruit and perhaps fresh (if fruit flavored) and Ice if not. I then place it in a insulated steel thermus and put it in a cooler packed with Ice. I can shake it up once I pull it out of the cooler if I have to.

I've found that having it ice cold right after a work-out (home is over 30 min away from the gym) I feel refreshed by the time I hit the car. I also find it tastes just fine as long as it's ice cold. Just Sayin.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You can get a Spider bottle, it's a protein shaker but can be used for many more things - I have the 2Go version which is a 600ml bottle, it has a pill compartment sort of like what was shown above but also has 2 container compartments for powder and what have you in case you don't want to make a shake right away