Major fruit problems.

Options
Just started my diet recently and discovered that eating fruit hurts, literally. Anytime I eat banana, strawberry, pineapple, or apples my stomach attacks me for roughly 45 minutes. I feels kinda like heart burn and it starts at the stomach and the pain make its way up in surges of pain. Anyone one else ever have this problem?

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just started my diet recently and discovered that eating fruit hurts, literally. Anytime I eat banana, strawberry, pineapple, or apples my stomach attacks me for roughly 45 minutes. I feels kinda like heart burn and it starts at the stomach and the pain make its way up in surges of pain. Anyone one else ever have this problem?

Have you ever been tested for food allergies?

Have you tried eating them cooked? Any difference? I know there is a condition where people can not eat them raw, but cooked are usually okay. I can't think of the name at the moment and google is NOT helping. I have seen it discussed on another forum.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Or also if it is unusual for you to eat fruit it may be too acidic for you look up low acid fruits and try reducing portions
  • sarahreischel
    Options
    The fructose in fruit can be a trigger for intestinal problems in some people. Different people are prone to have difficulty breaking down certain enzymes and you may be genetically prone to have difficulty breaking down the sugar in fruit. If you have recently increased your fruit intake, I would take it down a notch. Start with one serving of fruit a day, and maybe try eating it with something else. Like adding blueberries to your oatmeal in the morning. Baby steps and see if that helps, if not, you may need to see your dr for an alternative.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Those are all fairly reactive fruits.
    - banana and pineapple are tropical fruits, which are pretty high on the list if you have allergies or oral allergy syndrome
    - strawberries are high in histamines
    - apples are very high in fructose

Maybe try blueberries for a start. Maybe watermelon. Try eating something else before the fruit or with it. I often can't eat fruit on an empty stomach. Try some canned or cooked fruit to see if you tolerate it better.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't see any fruits in your diary other than one apple.

Is there more that you weren't tracking? Or is it the fruit snack smilies that are causing the issues?
  • Freedom_Frog
    Options
    Um, I don't see any fruits in your diary other than one apple.

Is there more that you weren't tracking? Or is it the fruit snack smilies that are causing the issues?

I've eaten a little of the other fruits I've discussed after having the apple just to see how they affected me but i wasn't enough to be rally worth mentioning in the food diary. And no to the smilies. Fruit snacks are just a weakness of mine even though they are supposed to be for my kids...upsets the wife... (o^_^o)
  • catlips
    catlips Posts: 5
    Options
    My husband has a digestive disorder and many fruits and veggies are hard for him to eat. Keep track of what you eat and the symptoms and ask your dr. if it persists...
  • negative187
    negative187 Posts: 23
    Options
    yeah, i love fruit but can no longer eat any fruit thanks to it triggering off my IBS.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with apples. Sharp, throbbing pain in my stomach whenever I eat one on an empty stomach. I find it helps a lot to eat it with something, like peanut butter.