Anyone feel vulnerable (but trying!) when they started?

Options
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this MFP thing but would really like some friends for support. I love the idea of taking back control of my life and starting to get healthy but didn't know it would be so daunting! Have written a few blog entries and have only just opened my diary/blog to public/friends because I thought before this was something that I had to do alone.

I feel ultra vulnerable though, didn't realise "I'm unfit now, should probably change that" actually had a lot of pretty intense reasons behind it! It's finally dawning on me how much of an impact this has had on my day to day life. Did anyone else get a massive wake up call on the impact their weight/fitness has on them by joining MFP? Any tips/help/support/advice (or hey, maybe the occasional virtual high five!) would be appreciated. Feel free to add me, all the friends/ motivation I can get is appreciated :)

Replies

• enjayer
    enjayer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you'd like. :) I am fairly new as well.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    I started the beginning of this month, and feeling vulnerable at ANY weight is perfectly normal. It's when you begin to hold your head up high and walk a little straighter and begin to own pride in yourself that you find a little more confidence. With each little victory (even if it's only a victory to you), your confidence grows, and your vulnerability shrinks...

Remember, you are a beautiful creation of God, and he has NEVER made anything bad! Please feel free to add me as a friend anytime!
  • holdondreamaway
    Options
    Being fit was something I always put off until later when I was younger, like I'll just deal with it later. It was a pretty big hit to realize later would have to be now or I'd be doing more work in the long run. It's taken me almost a year, but I've finally got my confidence back. It's really daunting to start, so I looked at every little step as success. I took my goals 5lb at a time, I saw every workout as good for just getting there. After doing things like that for a while I've stopped wanting to work out just for the extra calories to eat, now I just want to move my body, tone up and lean down. The key for me was remembering this is a lifestyle change. Diets don't work and living the way I did will just take me back to the start. I will always aim for a certain net calories now, I will always work out in some way, I will never eat the same types of foods. If one or three weeks go by with no change on the scale it's not that big of a deal, this process will just go on. If something isn't working for you, change it. Try different things. If you see something questionable or interesting in the message boards, open a new tab and google it for yourself. Being informed only helps you make better choices. Remember that people are different. Personally, MFP started me with too few calories to be able to be happy and functioning. I even stopped losing at one point because I was eating too little. Once I adjusted up a little, I was much happier and started losing again. It's worth it to look into your bmr and tdee to see if you want to try an adjustment too. I think a lot of people on this site forget how hard it is just to make the step to start, but you're not alone. High five to you just for starting.
  • EowynWard
    EowynWard Posts: 9
    Options
    I feel vulnerable too. I was proud of being chubby for a long time and now that its gotten out of hand I feel like I can't turn around and tell people I'm losing weight. I don't feel like I can turn to my regular friends for support when I've been drumming about 'big and beautiful' for so long.
    I find myself being guarded about it towards my friends face-to-face so cyber-friends are much better for motivation! add me if you like, I'll do my best for cyber-high-fives!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people who have tried unsuccessfully to lose weight (or lost weight and then regained) feel the vulnerablility of possible failure or ridicule. I get that. I was that way too. One of the most liberating things for me in my blog I have openly posted my weight and update it as I lose and my challenges along the way. I feel that it is important for me to be honest about where I am at, because if I lie about my weight (which I have done my whole life) I am doing myself a disservice by lying to myself. Doing this online was easier to start with and now I can open up to my family about my weight and goals. I never wanted to open up about weight loss attempts, gym routines, etc. just incase I failed (like I have so many times). I have a big goal (no pun intended) lol to lose 68lbs. I have never lost more than 20 at any given time. Confidence in your ability takes you a long way! Good luck!!