Parents I would like your advice

Options
Ive started running and I love it. Once in a while I run past a park and I think to myself I would love to use that park for strength training. How would you feel about it if you took your kids to that park and a grown woman of 25years was doing pull ups on the monkey bars??

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I personally would probably have to hide a giggle but I don't see a problem with it. I could say people having more issues if it was a man cause men get the bad end of the stick when it comes to people fearing them.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are worried pick a time early in the morning or mid evening when there would be a lower volume of kids there
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I do admit I'd giggle to myself but I think I'd be more impressed by her tenacity to go so far to achieve her goals than anything. :happy:
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If the park isn't busy, GO for it!!!! Usually early AM no ones there!! Some people may cause some beef about it, but just ignore them. If no ones there exercise away girl!!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you're not kicking the little kids off to do them I'd have no problem with it. In fact, I've considered it myself! The only thing that holds me back is that I'd embarrass myself because I suck at pull ups!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You have the same rights as anyone to be there and play with the equipment. If I see you doing a pull up, I'll just think "damn, I wish I could do that."

ETA: just make sure you take turns. =D
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would not have a problem with it as long as you did not have a problem with my kids playing and expect them to stay away while you worked...my son is 4 so no monkey bars for him yet, but if he was old enough I'm sure that he would want to go across them every now and then. If you were fine with that I wouldn't have a problem with you working out on the playground.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think anything...go for it!
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I do that type of thing all the time (although I'm not quite strong enough for pull ups). But I will hop on the park equipment to do tricep dips off the sliding board, step ups off the platforms to the slide, and just general lunges, push ups and varied big muscle moves.

What's nice that in some Chicago parks, there are sit up benches, and dip/pull ups bars that have been recently been installed.
  • pushing40soon
    Options
    "She's got the guts to actually do what I was contemplating... she's SMOKIN'!!!" :smokin:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are worried pick a time early in the morning or mid evening when there would be a lower volume of kids there

I agree with this.
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I agree, wouldn't bother me at all. If you are worried about it, as the others suggest, I would go earlier in the morning. Good luck. Have fun!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    My own kids think I'm a freak when I try swinging the monkey bars. Gotta prep for Tough Mudder somehow :D

I would just ask that you wear real clothes. I have some young and impressionable boys and I would be uncomfy if you were in just a sports bra and little tiny shorts. (not that the boys don't see that on the mags at the grocery store :S) ... sorry, just my preference for young eyes.
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    I would not even think twice about seeing a woman doing pull ups on the monkey bars. Go for it.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If I see you doing a pull up, I'll just think "damn, I wish I could do that."

This!

Plus I agree with the poster who suggested modest clothing.
    I really don't think people will mind at all!
    Go For It!!
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Just do it! As long as you play nice, who cares what other people think?
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Our park back in Texas has equipment spaced along the walking trail to encourage people to take breaks for strength training, so I wouldn't think anything of it. I would say go for it. =)
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My big things would be that the kids are able to play without worrying of getting in the way, and that the person was in appropriate clothing.

I also wouldnt do it at a school playground during school times. Apparently the schools have the right to ask people to leave.

Other than that, think its great. I was just at the playground yesterday trying to find some exercises while my kids played
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "I hope she doesn't catch me staring at her." (not in a creepy way but in a I SO want to be able to do that way)
  • btb079
    btb079 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "I hope she doesn't catch me staring at her." (not in a creepy way but in a I SO want to be able to do that way)