slim down/tone up legs/cellulite

Options
Hello everyone, I just learned of this website last week and LOVE it!! The information has been very helpful and useful. I have been watching my calories and working out regularly since February. I'm only 5 ft tall, and I seem to have a REALLY difficult time losing weight. What others could eat and never have a problem with, I seem to gain immediately. My thyroid has been cleared because my mom has a history of issues.

Right now, I'm at a discouraging point and could really use some help. Basically, my legs are my biggest trouble area. I've always worked out to some extent, but they really look "cellulitey" (for lack of a better word). I've been doing boot camp classes, lunges, squats, leg magic, and I am just not seeing much of an improvement. Wondering if any of you have had this issue. Do I need to clean up my diet even more, are there other exercises that might target and tone better? I tried spin class once, and will go back to it, if someone thinks that might target the area better.

I've already cut out all soda, from regular to diet, and I only have about 1/2 cup of coffee every other Saturday. Occasionally, I'll allow myself lemonade or tea, but otherwise, I don't drink carbonated beverages, or sugar-laden beverages.

I hope someone can help!!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

skipper

Replies

• jigglybits
    jigglybits Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i owuld love to know the answer to this as well
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • mspj
    mspj Posts: 3
    Options
    Try a stationary bike if you have one. I started riding mine for about 10 minutes everyother day and that helped my legs/thighs. Still not at toned as would like but improvement is good!
  • sjflack
    sjflack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls for the encouragement, I'll start trying the bike. I've been primarily doing stairs, running and elliptical.
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    I too am 5 ft. tall and my problem areas are my bum and thighs. I would definitely recommend running and Pilates with small equipment. It took several months of regular (3-4 times/week) running and cross-training (mostly Pilates) on the off days, before I noticed a difference, but my cellulite is really disappearing finally. Good luck!
  • lissmiller
    Options
    A few years ago I started doing a set of exercises from a Pilates book I read - sorry I don't remember the name. I ended up with the best legs I've ever had - from a set of 4 exercises, done everyday; it took about 4 weeks before I was seeing truly noticeable results, and it was well worth it!

I started with 10 reps each leg and worked up to 25.

1) The "clam shell" - lie down on floor, legs bent about 45 degrees. Lift leg from upper KNEE to the natural stopping point , keeping upper foot on top of lower foot.- don't push too far, and don't use momentum to go higher - then lower knee to starting position.

2) The clam shelll again, but starting with feet together, only raised about 6-8 inches off the floor. Do the clam shell from there.

3) Reclining bicycle - Still lying on your side, knees bent at about 45 degees. Lift upper leg slightly and make a large circle with your upper leg - knee toward chest, leg out to front, leg around to back, knee toward chest, making a big circle.

4) The classic leg lift: lie on your side, lower leg slightly forward of upper leg. Lift upper leg gently toward the ceilling and lower slowly to starting position.

These really helped with hips, thighs, and the dreaded cellulite! (No, I didn't keep up with them, am regretting it, and am now back to using these exercises!)

These may be from Brooke Siler's book, Pilates Body, but I'm not sure - that is, however, and excellent book! Good pictures, clear instructions, and proven exercise concepts.
  • sjflack
    sjflack Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok, I'll give those a try as well, THANKS for the detailed info. Greatly appreciated!!
  • lissmiller
    Options
    i haven't checked this thread in awhile - glad my post was helpful at least to consider.

I'm struggling to keep that set of exercises in place - and realized that with all the walking/running I'm doing (for me, it's a lot just to be going out 2 times 7 days a week (5-6 miles total) I'm tightening up and need to stretch a bit before doing this set of exercises. They feel really good, though, when I stretch first. I've added some basic over all stretching postures from yoga, and it's helped a lot.

When my oldest child was young I useed to ride my bike 4-5 milers a day with him - that was tremendous for my thighs and cellulite.

For those of us who are middle age or so, like me, I think we need to get our body fat way down, which should be a longish process to preserve health, in order to see significant change in the cellulite. At least it looks smaller as legs are more toned! I'm not giving up, just trying to be realistic so I don't get discouraged!!

Hope you're having some luck with whatever thigh -conquering exercises you chose!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My best results come when I drink half my body weight in water, every day, do some form of exercise(my choices are bikes, stationery or mountain when weather permits)logging everything I eat and staying within my alotted calories. Also I learned if I exercise and burn 300 calories and my daily intake is to be 1200, I have subtracted 300 by exercising. It is important, from personal experience to replace at least half those burned calories as that is your body fuel and you gotta have it to burn off the unwanted fat and feed all your organs:) I don't focus on any one area of my bod. I just do the burn and know that eventually, just as it came on, it will come off. Keep your chin up, you are on the best site for losing weight and leading a healthy lifestyle;) denise

PS balanced, nutritious meals, rarely eat sugar and I don't do low-fat or anything that might be processed or have "chemicals" in it. I mean I do try my best when shopping for nutritious foods.

Hello everyone, I just learned of this website last week and LOVE it!! The information has been very helpful and useful. I have been watching my calories and working out regularly since February. I'm only 5 ft tall, and I seem to have a REALLY difficult time losing weight. What others could eat and never have a problem with, I seem to gain immediately. My thyroid has been cleared because my mom has a history of issues.

Right now, I'm at a discouraging point and could really use some help. Basically, my legs are my biggest trouble area. I've always worked out to some extent, but they really look "cellulitey" (for lack of a better word). I've been doing boot camp classes, lunges, squats, leg magic, and I am just not seeing much of an improvement. Wondering if any of you have had this issue. Do I need to clean up my diet even more, are there other exercises that might target and tone better? I tried spin class once, and will go back to it, if someone thinks that might target the area better.

I've already cut out all soda, from regular to diet, and I only have about 1/2 cup of coffee every other Saturday. Occasionally, I'll allow myself lemonade or tea, but otherwise, I don't drink carbonated beverages, or sugar-laden beverages.

I hope someone can help!!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

skipper