MFP, people!

Options
Raezor1207
Raezor1207 Posts: 80 Member
Here comes a rant. I reside in Hawaii, and for people out there who have never been here, let me just say, a lot of the population is way over weight! Everywhere I look, I see a person that has trouble walking because of all the weight they have to carry, and what is in their hand? A BUCKET sized fountain drink. I am in the medical field and deal with obisity on a daily basis. It is so hard to take care of diabetic ulcers and encourage the patient to eat right when they do not want to change. I want to walk throughout down and shout at the top of my lungs, "Try MFP people." Am I the only one who now sees how many unhealthy people there are? I never paid attention when I was eating the same crap and not exercising, but now I feel great and I want everone else to feel the same!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Good luck with that. We all get you. But there isn't a lot you can do about it.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ever since starting this I am noticing more and more how many people are overweight and obese. Especially kids, working around them daily it is VERY sad because it honestly looks like the majority of them are getting heavier and heavier each year. It's depressing to see.
  • rcates2424
    rcates2424 Posts: 208
    Options
    I try to tell people about the site politely, if they ask what i have been using. Unfortunately some people dont want to be helped.
  • Raezor1207
    Raezor1207 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ever since starting this I am noticing more and more how many people are overweight and obese. Especially kids, working around them daily it is VERY sad because it honestly looks like the majority of them are getting heavier and heavier each year. It's depressing to see.
    I guess it is one thing to see adults with bad habits, but you are right about the kids. I hate seeing over weight kids :(
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have talked this site up so much, you'd have thought I invented it. Unfortunately it usually falls on deaf ears. :ohwell:
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options

Ditto this! I teach 5th grade, and based on just physical appearance 11 of 18 students appear to be overweight. One told me 1 day that she weighed 130 pds. What?? At age 11? We have a snack time and I encourage parents to send "healthy" snacks and give them suggestions, but the students still show up with Little Debbie cakes, etc. And, I live in the south so that makes it even worse b/c of the types of foods that people eat on a daily.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, obesity and food addiction is just like any other addiction...a person won't change until THEY are ready and not because someone they don't know is suggesting healthy eating to them. Like myself...I had to hit *my* rock bottom before I started my changes.

But like you, I cringe when I see it. Especially an overweight family with overweight kids at fast food restaurants.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I have a 2x4 with MFP written on it it huge black marker I walk around with. Every time I see a fat person I run over and hit them with it. Why hint around?
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, obesity and food addiction is just like any other addiction...a person won't change until THEY are ready and not because someone they don't know is suggesting healthy eating to them. Like myself...I had to hit *my* rock bottom before I started my changes.

But like you, I cringe when I see it. Especially an overweight family with overweight kids at fast food restaurants.

very true - i know personally i ignored all the signs that i needed to make changes until I had to! i mean, it took congestive heart failure, type two diabetes, arthritis in one foot and three broken ankles in the other foot......and the thing that woke me up to make me go 'ok gee i really need to make some change' is being told by a doctor if things didnt improve within a week we would discuss kidney dialysis...i KNOW that nothing good comes from people on dialysis..and that made me stand up straight and get things in control.

the only thing you accomplish by preaching to people is to make them angry/defensive - the best thing all of us can do is set a good example and help them wake up before its too late for them.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    Oh I was at the zoo today and the general public is very overweight. But, what you gonna do? It's pretty clear, too when you watch what's going on: The overweight people are eating fried foods from the zoo and drinking soda.. The skinny folks are drinking water and packing healthy lunches and snacks. That's pretty much the jist of it. What can we do though? It's not like they've been warned! And I say they, but I'm overweight myself... Working on it though!!
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a 2x4 with MFP written on it it huge black marker I walk around with. Every time I see a fat person I run over and hit them with it. Why hint around?

I'M ALREADY HERE!!!! No need to use the 2x4!!! I promise!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oh I was at the zoo today and the general public is very overweight. But, what you gonna do? It's pretty clear, too when you watch what's going on: The overweight people are eating fried foods from the zoo and drinking soda.. The skinny folks are drinking water and packing healthy lunches and snacks. That's pretty much the jist of it. What can we do though? It's not like they've been warned! And I say they, but I'm overweight myself... Working on it though!!

be a good example to others, especially those you love and care about.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and getting healthy is a bit like religion you have to "see the light" in your own personal way. Until that happens to someone they are going to ignore any advice. I know I did for a long time. I was jealous of other peoples success but not prepared or ready to succeed myself.

Then I saw the MFP "light" and here I am. :bigsmile: