? About High Intensity Workouts

Options
So, I have read several comments on here about people getting on the elliptical and raising the resistance levels to crazy numbers. Here's my thing ... I am 5"5 and I weigh 211 currently. When I get on the elliptical I cannot raise any levels and my heart rate will be up to 150 depending on how fast I'm moving. How can people increase resistance without heart rate going way high? Is it because you are moving slower due to the added resistance? I just want to make sure that I am getting the best workout possible on the elliptical. I prefer to lift weights or walk but I am also trying to vary my workouts as much as possible.

Thanks!

Replies

• daaamon
    daaamon Posts: 25
    Options
    ... but thats what you WANT, isn't it? a tougher workout?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    When I do HIIT on the Eliptical, my intervals consist of increasing the resistance say from 6 to 8-10 but I also increase my speed to get my heart rate up, that's what you want. I pretty much go full out as hard and fast as I can or for about 45 seconds. Then I lower it back down to a lower resistance and speed for about 90 seconds and I repeat variations of this for about 20 mins. I love my workout; it's kicked my butt many times. That's the whole idea behind HIIT.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    When doing cardio you want your heart rate to get up there. Find your maximum heart rate and aim for around 85 percent of it to increase yourV02 and burn the most calories.
  • littlemissfatty701
    Options
    Ive been doing HIT workouts along with circuit training and its been amazing! You'll definitely feel the burn and see results. You can compare the moderate speed to moderate/brisk jogging at 3.5-4 and then amp it up to 6 and then go from there. You should be aiming for 1 min at 3.5-4 and then running at 6. The speed at the higher (6-7) should allow you to feel tired because you are utilizing your short twitch muscles, aka the muscles you use when you need to sprint to the bus stop! From there, you can move up in speed as your body gets more used to HIT. Hope this helps!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I tend to use the treadmill and do speed/sprint workouts. However, sometimes I will use the arctrainer. There are two types of interval workouts I do with the arctrainer. For one I do a moderate increase in the incline and resistance and go hard/fast; for recovery I then reduce incline, resistance, and speed. The other workout I do is essentially all about the resistance. I inrease the incline and resistance as high as it will go (10 inclince 100 resistance) and go as fast as I can; however, this results in a decrease in my speed. The resistance really gets my heart rate going, even though I am go slower. It is hard, but it feels sooo good. For recovery I then decrease the incline and resistance, and bring my speed up to a moderate/comfortable pace.
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your responses. Working out at home today but hitting the elliptical at the gym and will try your suggestions! I am looking for results fast! LOL (aren't we all). But I'm willing to do the hard work to get it!