encourage those who "don't need to lose"...

Options
Any encouragement for the ones who are always told they "don't need to lose" even if they do... even if they are twenty pounds more than ideal body weight...?
What if they are already eating "good foods" and not "bad foods" but just too much food and too much stress and too much sitting down... and gained ten of those twenty pounds in the last 3 months...?
Clearly this is not good...
Some posts for people like me would be welcome

Replies

• czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I was told "you don't need to lose" 33 pounds ago! you have to look at yourself, look hard, are you happy with what you see? If not fix it. My therapy is stand fully naked in front of a mirror, decide if I like what I see and work accordingly.

Besides, who is going to tell anyone they care about," wow you sure have packed it on in the last 3 months!" Those same people will be telling you how great you look in a few months after you peel it off. You have to like the skin you are in. The beauty of it is, you get to say when enough is where you land.

And even if 2 pounds over ideal body weight is not where you want to be, listen to your heart, use healthy choices and you will get there. one more thing, watch out for sabotage! misery loves company!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    You are taking a very pro-active stance to prevent any health problems down the road. From experiance, I know that 20 pounds turns in to 30, then you need to lose 50 and the next thing you know, you are trying to lose 100 pounds or more. :grumble:

Even a few extra pounds affects your heart and joints.

The bottom line is that you are doing this for YOU. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    And taking care of those 20 lbs will never be easier than now. Your matabolism slows down, and your muscle mass shrinks as you get older....without proper excersise.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Ug! I hate that I'm still 5 lbs from healthy bmi and people have been telling me for the last 20 pounds I shouldn't lose anymore! If NOTHING else I am going to make it to a healthy weight!
  • kokonutmama
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Here's to being the best you can be! I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by people who know how important (and smart) it is for me personally to loose weight now and generally keep their mouths shut about it. Sending some of supportive energy your way :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I'm losing weight for myself not for my well meaning (or jealous) friends who say I'm thin enough and don't need to lose weight.

I spent too many years crying in fitting rooms at the store while trying on clothes that made me look fat because I was.

I am in charge of my health and my body and I'll know when I'm at the right weight.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    You are the ownly person that knows how you feel and whether or not you need or even just want to lose weight. Do what you feel you need to do and we will all support you along the way. Be happy with who you are and the decisions you make concerning your own body. God Bless, Brenda
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I'm losing weight for myself not for my well meaning (or jealous) friends who say I'm thin enough and don't need to lose weight.

I spent too many years crying in fitting rooms at the store while trying on clothes that made me look fat because I was.

I am in charge of my health and my body and I'll know when I'm at the right weight.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I agree 100% you are so correct. I fully understand where you are coming from. God Bless, Brenda
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I heard the same thing, because I wasn't "overweight," but I was inching closer and closer to the upper limit of the ideal BMI. You've got to really not engage those people - or say, it's about health. I also only ate healthy foods, as a vegetarian, but I ate too much of them. Remember that eating less, just what your body needs, also delays signs of aging, including disease and wrinkles. You're doing it for your health so that you can live a long life in your already beautiful body!
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I actually would have been happy at my starting weight, but the fact is that it was going up, not staying the same or going down. I knew I needed to jump on it while it was 18 lbs and not when it was 30 or 50 or more. It's never too soon to start.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    And taking care of those 20 lbs will never be easier than now. Your matabolism slows down, and your muscle mass shrinks as you get older....without proper excersise.

Boy you are talkin MY story! It gets TOUGHER every year but I perservere!!!
    Verda
  • jvgbay
    jvgbay Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks. This is a kind and helpful reply.
  • jvgbay
    jvgbay Posts: 3
    Options
    Ah.... HEALTHY but TOO MUCH seems to be exactly my problem.
    I really am striving for ultimate health (so there is no fear of unwise choices), not beauty, although I know that comes along.
    I thank all the posters here for their kind and helpful replies. I am touched by them and will try to turn this support into positive energy. My best wishes to all of you.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    The closer I get to my goal the more I hear it! So many people are afraid I will become a "bag of bones"! UGH!

I take the compliment that I am looking better.

Recognize that others are not used to seeing me like this...heck...I am not used to seeing me like this. I find myself occasionally stopping in front of a full length mirror and asking my kids if I really look like that.

Next, I know what my doctor says. I know what my joints say.

Someone posted a link for your "happyweight" I don't remember it but you could probably google it. (if someone resposted...sorry, I am not sure I have carefully read each response)

My happy weight is heavier than my goal weight and as I get closer I will keep that in mind.

I know that I need to keep going! Excercise helps my stress level so much that I cannot imagine not doing it anymore and when I eat junky if feel sick.

For now...if you know you still need to lose more then just plow forward!

Good Luck!!!
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people... more so now than before. About 3 years ago I was 180 and over then next two years I lost 30lbs using diet and exercise and at my low I was 148. Then over the next year I put about 15lbs back on and was 162. And while everyone who looked at me said I looked fine and didn't need to loose weight. I KNEW I could be healthier and take those pounds back off. So I'm back on the diet and exercise wagon. Of course my boyfriend can't possibly believe I've gained 12 pounds, and he also doesn't believe me when I tell him what I weigh. I've told he's more than welcome to watch me get on the scale when he gets home from deployment lol. I very much have an hourglass figure which tends to mask those few extra pounds which doesn't help my "cause " at all and when I do loose weight I get small through my waist before any other parts. Either way he's excited that I'm toning up lol.

You have to do what you want and know you need for yourself. If you don't like how you look or feel, then you should do something about it. I don't follow a "diet"... I'm a calorie counter, although I try to make them the right kind of calories. The most important thing for me is portion control.. you really need to read labels and make sure you're not eating more than you've allotted yourself. I also try to eat every few hours that way I'm never really hungry.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    try to find exercise you like - good for the body AND mind. Less stress = Less eating, at least for me.

Good luck and listen to your own voice.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options

Someone posted a link for your "happyweight" I don't remember it but you could probably google it. (if someone resposted...sorry, I am not sure I have carefully read each response)

My happy weight is heavier than my goal weight and as I get closer I will keep that in mind.

I know that I need to keep going! Excercise helps my stress level so much that I cannot imagine not doing it anymore and when I eat junky if feel sick.

For now...if you know you still need to lose more then just plow forward!

Good Luck!!!

I tried that Happy Weight link - It had me at five pounds above what I started at - yuck!
    I trust my doctor and my nutritionist best.
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Any encouragement for the ones who are always told they "don't need to lose" even if they do... even if they are twenty pounds more than ideal body weight...?
    What if they are already eating "good foods" and not "bad foods" but just too much food and too much stress and too much sitting down... and gained ten of those twenty pounds in the last 3 months...?
    Clearly this is not good...
    Some posts for people like me would be welcome

Also, think about your sugar level, your blood pressure, your BMI (body mass index), your cholesterol count, diabetes, hypertension, etc. I'm sorry, but allot of women I know have husbands that tell them they, "Want a little meat on their bones". That's horse pucks! :bigsmile: If you want to live longer you have to exercise and watch what you eat. I have had women at work where I joined a weight partners group tell me, "I can eat from Burger King during lunch time because I go work it off after work with my trainer". Uh, yeah, but the calories you INTAKE should be worked off by the amount of time you spend exercising and the exericse you do is burning so many calories. Can you imagine TRYING to work off lunch from Burger King in a hour? Impossible!

Blessings! :flowerforyou:

Eva
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!