Tips to a flat tummy

Options
Hey! I was reading an article about working out and how building muscle under fat will actually make you look bigger. I think this is why I'd always stop working out because I'd start to look bloated all the time. Does anyone have tips of how to get a flat tummy? Maybe I'm missing something.

Replies

• Leach1178
    Leach1178 Posts: 1
    Options
    Slim down tips from me

1. Not all diets work for everyone. Try it for 1 month, you should lose an average of 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. If you don't then try something else.

2. If you're trying to lose weight, walk don't run. Walking allows the body to burn fat. Running just builds muscle under the fat. So your weight will not change.

3. No alcoholic beveregs. Alcohol contains empty calories. One shot or mix drink may equal a whole meal in calories. Your body stores those calories instead of burning them.

4. Cut back on sodas. The carbonation adds air/gas to your system causing you to appear bloated. No diet soda's at all. The fake sugar makes your body crave food and you end up eating twice as much to feed that craving.

5. As you lose weight keep your skin moisturized. Put lotion on 3 times a day or more. The moisture allows the skin to shrink faster. The rubbing incourages it to tighten up by increasing circulation.

6. Wear a tight under layer of clothes. walmart has "slimming" tops, bottoms and body suits. The tighter the better but make sure you can breath. The compression on the skin helps it shrink/tighten faster. This will get rid of the droopy skin look people have when loosing weight. I found that panty hose worked best for me. They allow perfect circulation while putting everything in place. New mothers: this will also help stretch marks to shrink just make sure to use lots of lotion.

All of these are from my personal experience. I went from 171 lbs to 137 lbs. I don't have droopy skin anywhere. Not even my tummy. Make sure to walk as much as possible so that your body has to burn stored fat. Once you get down to your ideal weight, then start working out to tone up.

I hope this helps you!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

2. If you're trying to lose weight, walk don't run. Walking allows the body to burn fat. Running just builds muscle under the fat. So your weight will not change.

I totally disagree.
  • LittleRedBoots
    LittleRedBoots Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This advice is the biggest load of bull**** I have ever seen.
  • hennyben
    hennyben Posts: 317
    Options

I totally disagree.

Me too.
    And lotion? To shrink it? I need the name of that...
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I find running fantastic for weight loss - if you check out marathon runners they're usually like bean poles, not muscular with fat on top so not sure where that tip really comes from. Maybe that whole 'fat burning' HR zone thing?
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    Leach, STFU. What you are saying is a MAJOR exaggeration. So a shot of voddy (50cals) is a whole meal for you? So burning more calories by running will result in less fat loss? So drinking a diet soda will make you DOUBLE hungry?! Get your facts right please before posting where naive people will take this shizz seriously!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There were generally good tips but sprinkled with a bit of fanciful fairy dust
    1. Not all diets work for everyone. Try it for 1 month, you should lose an average of 1.5 to 2 lbs a week. If you don't then try something else.
    Very true, but average weekly weight loss will depend on your calorie deficit against your TDEE (as well as personal circumstances)
    Walking is certainly an excellent way to exercise, especially if you are very heavy and perhaps also have issues with your joints that could be exacerbated by the impact of running. Finding an exercise that suits you and which you enjoy is one of the most important things.
    3. No alcoholic beveregs. Alcohol contains empty calories. One shot or mix drink may equal a whole meal in calories. Your body stores those calories instead of burning them.
    Haven't yet had a meal that's only been 40-150 Calories. Alcohol, like everything else, can be enjoyed in moderation. If you enjoy a glass of wine or a jack daniels & diet coke, then why not have one - just build it into your calorie plan.

4. Cut back on sodas. The carbonation adds air/gas to your system causing you to appear bloated. No diet soda's at all. The fake sugar makes your body crave food and you end up eating twice as much to feed that craving.
    Again, if you enjoy a soft drink, then there's no harm and no scientific evidence that diet or zero sodas impede weight loss. I've lost 60 lbs and drink at least 3-4 glasses a day.
    5. As you lose weight keep your skin moisturized. Put lotion on 3 times a day or more. The moisture allows the skin to shrink faster. The rubbing incourages it to tighten up by increasing circulation.
    Although there is no magic cream that will suddenly give your skin back its elasticity or eradicate stretch marks, it just feels nice to have nice skin and it will aid its recovery.
    6. Wear a tight under layer of clothes. walmart has "slimming" tops, bottoms and body suits. The tighter the better but make sure you can breath. The compression on the skin helps it shrink/tighten faster. This will get rid of the droopy skin look people have when loosing weight. I found that panty hose worked best for me. They allow perfect circulation while putting everything in place. New mothers: this will also help stretch marks to shrink just make sure to use lots of lotion.
    Compression garments only push in what's hanging loose - they don't magic away the fat, sadly, but when doing a cardio workout they can stop things from jiggling about and help your posture.

For a flat tummy, you really have to be lean and do regular exercise to improve core strength and help tighten your abdominal muscles. It's dedication that pays off. I wish I had as much as some of the folks on here who have the most amazing abs and obliques. Perhaps when I've halved my body fat % I'll be more inclined to work on the bodywork :happy:
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I totally disagree.

Double disagree.........Running is what got me over the plateau I was experiencing and allowed me to move within 4 lbs of my goal weight!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Slim down tips from me

All of these are from my personal experience. I went from 171 lbs to 137 lbs. I don't have droopy skin anywhere. Not even my tummy. Make sure to walk as much as possible so that your body has to burn stored fat. Once you get down to your ideal weight, then start working out to tone up.

I hope this helps you!

Yikes, some of these are way out there, where are you getting your info? #2, #3 and #5 are just plain wrong. First of all 1 alcoholic drink only has 80 cals, at least mine does (run and diet) and even a high cal margarita only has about 300, who eats only 300 cals a day?
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brandneweyesnd
    Options
    Yaa... pretty much all of that first comment was either ridiculously exaggerated or complete BS.
    LOL. Especially the running/walking 'tip'.

This is why we shouldn't listen to everything people say on here :laugh:
  • limbopanto
    limbopanto Posts: 25
    Options
    To OP- I've found that doing ab exercises has tightened my stomach area, but losing fat has made it flatter. You'll lose fat by eating at a deficit and exercising, so just keep at it :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

6. Wear a tight under layer of clothes. walmart has "slimming" tops, bottoms and body suits. The tighter the better but make sure you can breath.

awesome advice! I agree, breathing is important! Everyone to Wal Mart!
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I totally disagree.

Me too.
    And lotion? To shrink it? I need the name of that...
    Same........!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I totally disagree.

i agree to a point walk does burn fat but its not the walking its your heart rate the lower the heart rate fat burns more efficiently.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Slim down tips from me

I hope this helps you!

Thanks for sharing personal experience. I tend to agree with 1 to 4.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    To OP- I've found that doing ab exercises has tightened my stomach area, but losing fat has made it flatter. You'll lose fat by eating at a deficit and exercising, so just keep at it :)
    ^^^This, OP.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

I totally disagree.
    [/quote

Ok so the low calorie booze exceeding nutritional intake, fine, concede that is an inaccurate portrayal. But the rest of it is not so far off and the disclaimer "personal experience" was included. Am I going to don a man-girdle for skin compression? No, but In my view the OP does not deserve insulting messages.

i agree to a point walk does burn fat but its not the walking its your heart rate the lower the heart rate fat burns more efficiently.
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    The ONLY way to have a flat tummy is to lose body fat. There is nothing else.

Slash your carbohydrates, read "Life without bread" by Dr. Lutz.

Exercise is absolutely irrelevant to a flat tummy. You can only achieve a flat tummy in the kitchen. Fortunately it is easy to do.

I went from "Alfred Hitchcock" to "incredibly ripped tummy" in less than a year - anyone can do it (I was almost 50 years old).

it's very simply a matter of eating 72 grams of carbs per day. Read the book!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Most likely you aren't building muscle if you are on deficit.

If you want to burn body fat lift weights. It isn't all crunches and situps or cardio. Also eat a good diet.