how do you lose weight without building muscle at the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    have you been eating back your exercise cals?
    i did the stupid thing of thinking my HRM was right when doing strength training (it's not!) so was eating back 700 cals 3-4 times a week i did not need.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Girl ur doing something but women can not gain like that we are not man every time I change my routine I gain 3lb and after a couple weeks the weight go down for up to 4lb all at once it must be fat what u gaining.
  • kpetty60
    kpetty60 Posts: 14
    Options
    this may be a stupid question but ive been going to the gym now 4-6 times a week for the past 4 months and have gained 9 pounds, which is probably all muscle but im not technically trying to gain muscle. i know that muscle naturally burns fat faster and easier so weight loss will be easier in the future but thats not the question here. I do lots of cardio ex: bike, elliptical, cross trainer.. but am i putting the resistance too high causing muscle gain? how do you just burn fat? lower resistance? :/

according to my trainer, you can't.... but this is a good thing.
    Lean muscle burns calories more efficiently, thus fat burns off more readily. I think I stated this correctly.
    So, your weight might bump up, but only for the short term as you build more lean muscle mass.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen..I gained 14 lbs of muscle since February. I love muscle and I build it really easy but I had to reevaluate what my ultimate goals were. Well seems to me that I want lean and toned. Since decreasing my gym time very dramatically (almost altogether) and eating reasonable calories combined with clean food (diary is public) I am loosing again. I have just been doing my at home videos and plan on going to the gym for a big cardio session only once a week.

Good luck with all your goals!!!!

14 lbs a muscle since feb?LOL...riiiiiiiiight
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    .... Tell me I gained 14 lbs of fat...
    I had the same thing happen..I gained 14 lbs of muscle since February. I love muscle and I build it really easy but I had to reevaluate what my ultimate goals were. Well seems to me that I want lean and toned. Since decreasing my gym time very dramatically (almost altogether) and eating reasonable calories combined with clean food (diary is public) I am loosing again. I have just been doing my at home videos and plan on going to the gym for a big cardio session only once a week.

Good luck with all your goals!!!!

14 lbs a muscle since feb?LOL...riiiiiiiiight

I am a more muscular girl naturally...going to the gym I started to feel too muscular... That is all. Just sharing with the op what my experience was. I went from 118 lbs jan to 132 in april/may. That is a fact. 14 lb gain. Probably not 14lbs of pure muscle. But Probably not 14 lbs of fat either.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to list out the reasons a person may experience such a drastic weight gain to the op...as well as give me a possible better understanding. It can be frustrating to see huge weight gains,especially of gaining is not your goal...muscle or not.
  • annielizstan
    annielizstan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Hi,
    You’ll get good aerobic benefit out of your weight training, Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.Drink more water.
    Do cardio exercise.