Sweet potatos, what to do ?

Options
Been meaning to buy some for a while now, got round to it the other day and now I have no idea what to do!

I may try roasting some for my tea but is there anything that is really nice with them? My first time trying them!

Thanks

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I like them baked or grilled with butter and cinnamon. Goes well with a steak, salad and asparagus or other green vegetable.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    slice them thin, sprinkle on some olive oil, salt, and cinnamon and bake

Mash them as you would regular potatoes

bake one, fry an egg and eat it altogether for breakfast.

Shred and make a hash with onions and some breakfast sausage
  • Ironbeak88
    Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can a couple for about 8-12 mins (depending on the size). Sometimes I mix them with other veggies, salads, a little bit is good smeared on a sandwich too.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I used to hate them with the syrup and marshmellow like they made in school. I like them savory--I chop them into small pieces, then microwave for about 5 minutes to soften. Put them on a cookie sheet with a thin coating of coconut oil (or for reduced fat, cooking spray).Toss in some chopped green pepper, onion, mushrooms if you like those. Sprinkle on seasoning to taste (we use seasoning salt, garlic powder, parsley, or other savory herbs) Broil 5-10 minutes, toss and broil some more until lightly browned. They taste like hash browns, only much better!
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    slice them thin, sprinkle on some olive oil, salt, and cinnamon and bake

Mash them as you would regular potatoes

bake one, fry an egg and eat it altogether for breakfast.

Shred and make a hash with onions and some breakfast sausage

Ooooh all of these sound good, I'm going to have to try them. Thanks!!!
  • midgetio
    midgetio Posts: 57
    Options
    Mash them, mash them with veggies, bake them, there's LOADS you can do with them and they are super tasty! Have fun! :)
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I cut them up, skin and all, pop them in the microwave until soft, then put them in a pan with butter, salt and pepper - so good!
  • marydee72
    marydee72 Posts: 51
    Options
    I cut mine into cubes, spray my cooking sheet with pam or whatever,
    I mix soy sauce, a little bit of sugar, olive oil and usually chili spice.
    Throw the cubes into the liquid mix, coat them and throw them on the sheet and broil

Or just chili powder on the cubes and broil.

Sometimes I add cheese on top.

I love sweet potatoes
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was given a bunch of sweet potatos and have been thinking of trying a sweet potato salad (instead of regular potato salad). There are some good recipes out there to try, One (cooks.com) sounds almost like a waldor salad, has pineapple, apples, celery, pecans, mayo, and sour cream. Of course you could use low-fat versions for the mayo and nonfat sour cream.