Struggling setting goals and rewards

Options
Ok, so 90 pounds down and halfway there, I finally decided to make some small goals and rewards. I am really struggling with this. Does anyone have suggestions on how they derived their goals and rewards? I don't want to give myself "deadlines" because that just seems self-defeating. I have lost these 90 over 7 months, to the day exactly, so a good pace in my opinion but I would probably have put tighter deadlines on myself if I had been so bold in the beginning of this.

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never set mini-goals or rewards, because like you said, it seemed so self-defeating. I'd rather just take it one day at a time and keep moving forward in the process. Less pressure that way, and less temptation to quit if I happened to not make a goal. My rewards have been better physical health, better mental health, better-tasting food, and knowing that I'm extending my natural life by making these changes. I know that rewards work for a LOT of people, and I'm not bashing them. I'm just saying that if rewards and goals don't feel right for you, there's no need to feel pressure to make them. Do what works for YOU in this regard.
  • willchaf
    willchaf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well first off, Theresa, CONGRATS!!!! I'm speechless and (I know I tell you this every time) inspired by your progress. Secondly, from the outside looking in, I'd say you are doing a heck of a good job doing what you're doing. Is there anything you are unhappy with that makes you want to change it up? Why fix it if it ain't broke? But again, that's just my take on how awesome of a job you are already doing.

I'm big on setting goals, making lists, that type of deal, but with weight loss, I don't have a timeline or a deadline. Rather than set weight loss goals, I set fitness goals, knowing that by meeting fitness goals, I will also be achieving weight loss goals gradually.

Regarding rewards, don't make it food. I'm slowly realizing that rewarding myself with a cheat day is like rewarding a recovering addict "all he can take drugs for a day" to reward his three months of being clean! It defeats the purpose. The best reward I have from my personal experience is going shopping for new clothes, but it wasn't in relation to achieving a goal although I guess I could have done that.

I'm glad for this forum and for MFP. It gives me the needed boost to take it one day at a time and not get too discouraged when things aren't going so smoothly. Since the baby has been born, our routine is upside down, so MY routine is upside down. I'm not eating like I should, and I'm not exercising like I should. But I dare not stop tracking. I've done that before (November - February) and I gained 20lb back.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!