NEAT calorie burn!

Options
I have read that NEAT is where you can really make a difference in the calories burned. I exrcise intensely & also lift heavy weights but I need to consciously incorporate more NEAT calorie burn each day. It doesn't come naturally to me so in the past I have added walking in each day (as my neat activity). on top of my vigorous exercise. I haven't been walking as much lately and need to get back on track & burn more neat calories.

Neat I have heard is where you can make a huge difference in your deficit!

Do you have any tips to increase neat burn? Do you consciously go out and try to ramp up your activity?

How important do you think neat is in helping you to lose fat?

I'm off now to get some neat dog walking! Cya. :)

Oh I have an idea! At work I'm going to start walking every couple oh hours for 15 minutes at a time! That will add up a lot by the end of the day

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I hear numbers in the 200-700 calorie range for NEAT. Some people are actual couch potatoes and others just say they are, but in reality, they're not. This particular fact of the many unknowns that effect the out side of the energy balance equation has contributed to endless discussion on why people can't lose weight.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Since I started wearing a bodybugg, I've found that on a typical day, I burn 200-300 calories more than calculated for me as sedentary. I try to do things like volunteering to go get things from other buildings instead of having them delivered or walkign over instead of calling. Stairs instead of elevator, walking to the water fountain instead of a water bottle, I pretty much make up any excuse I can to get up more. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's something.
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I used a reg pedometer, I try to plan 3 walks per day around the building, which takes about 10 minutes. Sometime my schedule does not allow.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have read that NEAT is where you can really make a difference in the calories burned. I exrcise intensely & also lift heavy weights but I need to consciously incorporate more NEAT calorie burn each day. It doesn't come naturally to me so in the past I have added walking in each day (as my neat activity). on top of my vigorous exercise. I haven't been walking as much lately and need to get back on track & burn more neat calories.

Neat I have heard is where you can make a huge difference in your deficit!

Do you have any tips to increase neat burn? Do you consciously go out and try to ramp up your activity?

How important do you think neat is in helping you to lose fat?

I'm off now to get some neat dog walking! Cya. :)

Oh I have an idea! At work I'm going to start walking every couple oh hours for 15 minutes at a time! That will add up a lot by the end of the day

Could someone define how "NEAT" is meant in this context?
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Well in this context. What I mean is because I sometimes forget to move/fidget doing regular type neat activities I consciously work enforced activities such as walking into my routine & I call that walking my neat exercise. Otherwise I'm quite lazy & don't neat much!

Award30 I think you might underestimate the difference it makes! Ie it could mean the difference in an extra 100 - 200 daily calorie deficit. Interesting topic hey! :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Have to remember to go for my walks at work tomorrow. Will try for 10 minutes every 60 minutes! I'll go for a longer walk at lunchtime to! I'll set an alarm on my phone so I dont forget. :). Will be able to eat more too & it won't be too taxing on the body :)
  • TamTamW
    TamTamW Posts: 27
    Options
    I just Googled it. Very interesting information!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have a neurological condition that means I get involuntary muscle twitches at rest and get intention tremor when trying to use hands to do stuff. I have noticed that I dropped the weight quicker in the last year than when it first started and they weren't present (2002) when reached 16st.. took about 4yrs to get to 11st7 but this last year then have been more noticeable and lost 3stone in one year.

I definitely think there's something in it as I know others who've had similar conditions from birth and never got overweight as they burn huge amounts of calories despite the fact they've never been to a gym and spend all day in wheelchair.. so forget the gym.. get fidgeting!! :laugh:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I just Googled it. Very interesting information!

Yeah! There's an interesting study by Levine :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I definitely think there's something in it as I know others who've had similar conditions from birth and never got overweight as they burn huge amounts of calories despite the fact they've never been to a gym and spend all day in wheelchair.. so forget the gym.. get fidgeting!! :laugh:

Yeah even things like chewing gum apparently. Your moving your muscles. It's kinda like fidgeting and things like listening to music tapping your foot or bopping to the beat in your chair. Apparently a study showed the more you consciously work neat into your day the more it becomes a habit. You'll keep doing it.

A while back I read if you vigorously exercise the you can sometimes get lazy the rest of the day & do less neat cos u are too tired. U just want to relax after your hard work & of course u believe u deserve to. If I can change my patterns and behavior to include mote neat in onto something here!! Something good. I'm excited about this now! :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    where did you see the study that showed the more you work NEAT into daily life the more it becomes automatic (habit)?