Peanut Butter

Options
erm.. this may sound a little odd.. but I can't stop eating it!!

I have to have some every day either in a sandwich or on toast and some days that is really all I want to eat (I'm not doing that, obvisouly) I am eating a varied diet with fruits and vegetables, but I wondered if there is something found in Peanut butter that my body might be lacking and that is driving this craving.

If there is what other foods could I be adding to my diet that would be a bit healthier?

Replies

• Kiaana
    Kiaana Posts: 9
    Options
    erm.. this may sound a little odd.. but I can't stop eating it!!

I have to have some every day either in a sandwich or on toast and some days that is really all I want to eat (I'm not doing that, obvisouly) I am eating a varied diet with fruits and vegetables, but I wondered if there is something found in Peanut butter that my body might be lacking and that is driving this craving.

If there is what other foods could I be adding to my diet that would be a bit healthier?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is healthy.

It's high in unsaturated fat, potassium and protein, and low in carbs.
    It's a calorie dense food, so a small amount will bump up calories quite
    a bit, but other then that, it's generally a very healthy snack. Go for the unsalted
    version if possible. Add an apple to that mix (love apples with peanut butter)
    and you get vitamins, fiber, and good carbs as well.
  • jthill
    jthill Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein in your diet? There's nothing wrong with having peanut butter in moderation everyday. So if that's what you really want, go for it in small doses. Maybe try adding a little protein elsewhere if you want to avoid it though. Having an eggwhite omlet for example. Good luck.
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Mmmm Peanut butter ! This is one of the few things Im glad I haven't had to give up. Especially when Im lacking calories for the day
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is healthy. Just don't get the ones with trans fats. They also sell the reduced fat PB. I buy the natural peanut butter. I eat peanut butter almost every day but limit it to 1 tbs or 1/2 tbsp depending on what I am eating it with. I love it with apples or pears, with celery or on a whole wheat mini bagel with some jelly. Delicious!!!!
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i :heart: :heart: :heart: peanut butter and i pretty much have some every day. I have the all natural stuff though which is just peanuts with no additives etc. so it's much healthier. Took a while to adjust to the taste but now I love it!
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    AMEN Rebecca...Go Natural!

We used to eat Kraft Smooth Light which is 25% less fat than the regular.

I liked it...BUT...the ingredients list says (in the following order and thats important as we all know that those ingredients at the start of the list is what the product contains more of)...

Select Roast Peanuts............Good

Maltodextrin..............................What the heck is that? BAD

Sugar.........................................Not so GOOD

Salt.............................................Iffy depending on the individual & volume eaten

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil ..Keyword "Hydrogenated: BAD, BAD, BAD

At least the natural peanut butter is just PEANUTS and we know what they are!
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    What is Hydrogenation?

http://www.treelight.com/health/nutrition/PartiallyHydrogenatedOils.html

Hydrogenation is the process of heating an oil and passing hydrogen bubbles through it. The fatty acids in the oil then acquire some of the hydrogen, which makes it more dense. If you fully hydrogenate, you create a solid (a fat) out of the oil. But if you stop part way, you a semi-solid partially hydrogenated oil that has a consistency like butter, only it's a lot cheaper.

Because of that consistency, and because it is cheap, it is a big favorite as a butter-substitute among "food" producers. It gives their products a richer flavor and texture, but doesn't cost near as much as it would to add butter.

Note:
    Until the 1970's, food producers used coconut oil to get that buttery flavor and texture. The American obesity epidemic began when it was replaced with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil -- most often soybean oil. For more information, see Coconut Oil and Palm Kernel Oil: Miracle Medicine and Diet Pill.

What are Polysaccharides?

When I googled Polysaccharides Good or Bad? this is what i got

http://www.sissel-online.com/article/simple_sugars.php
  • DianneLynn
    Options
    Maltodextrin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin

For example, maltodextrin either can be moderately sweet or have hardly any flavor at all. Maltodextrin is a polysaccharide that is used as a food additive. It is produced from starch and is usually found as a creamy-white hygroscopic powder. Maltodextrin is easily digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose. The CAS registry number of maltodextrin is 9050-36-6.

Maltodextrin can be derived from any starch. In the US, this starch is usually rice, corn or potato; elsewhere, such as in Europe, it is commonly wheat. This is important for coeliacs, since the wheat-derived maltodextrin can contain traces of gluten. There have been recent reports of coeliac reaction to maltodextrin in the United States. This might be a consequence of the shift of corn to ethanol production and its replacement with wheat in the formulation.

Foods containing maltodextrin may contain traces of amino acids, including glutamic acid as a manufacturing by-product. The amino acids traces would be too small to have any dietary significance.