Anyone taken abilify?

My psychiatrist just added 2.5mg abilify to my daily wellbutrin and zonegran and I'm noticing that I'm losing my appetite like crazy. Seems like an atypical side effect... has anyone else who has taken it experienced this?

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    I had a similar effect from the Abilify, though I did notice that the carb cravings (a known side effect) were pretty much the only time I got hungry. It should balance out after it's in your system for a few weeks; I suggest keeping a "journal" (really just jotting down a note before you go to bed at night) of how you're feeling on it that you can show to your doctor on your next visit. That might help get your meds under control.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    I suggest keeping a "journal" (really just jotting down a note before you go to bed at night) of how you're feeling on it that you can show to your doctor on your next visit. That might help get your meds under control.

Absolutely - keep a diary, detail everything.... you will need a consistent log of information taken down. Building a threshhold on new meds is always going to be a challenge.. so document well!
  • Journaling is a great idea, thanks! I hope the abilify will help me.
  • cwollman
    cwollman Posts: 4
    I also added it to my Wellbutrin and it worked amazing. However, after two months on it my appetite went out of control and I started gaining a pound a week. This on top of the weight I had gained before I started taking it. After 6 weeks of gaining a pound I stopped taking it. I'm still trying to lose the weight, but I continue to feel good without taking the ability, thankfully. I wish you better luck!
  • I also added it to my Wellbutrin and it worked amazing. However, after two months on it my appetite went out of control and I started gaining a pound a week. This on top of the weight I had gained before I started taking it. After 6 weeks of gaining a pound I stopped taking it. I'm still trying to lose the weight, but I continue to feel good without taking the ability, thankfully. I wish you better luck!

That's what's happening to me! It's like I'm experiencing the "honeymoon period" with the wellbutrin all over again! Is that what you felt? I do find myself somewhat anxious around 3-5 PM so I need to be careful and not freak out and do calming and self soothing activities.

So are you saying that it will backfire on me?