Meal Plans

Options
melcasa
melcasa Posts: 60 Member
Hello all you delightful MFPalers,

I'm looking to build weekly menus for my family and I. We are serving roughly 5 people a night (all over 18yrs old). Everyone eats meat and we typically have chicken 3 nights out of the week, lean pork one night, beef another, and at least one vegetarian meal (Meatless Monday woot-woot), the remaining day is usually a pasta dish (Italians eating pasta, go figure)

So my questions to the community are as follows:
1) What is your favorite meal
2) What are some of your favorite healthy chicken dishes?
3) What is something new and exciting I can make for dinner?!
4) Best balanced meal options (as in the meals has: veggies, protein, fiber, carbs, lower fat, preferably lower sodium as well)

Just looking for some healthy options that I can bring to the table.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• abayj11787
    abayj11787 Posts: 5
    Options
    First I would recommenced this blog, she is wonderful and I have found a lot of great food here. Skinnytaste.com. Haven't tried a bad recipe yet and there are a lot of options here.

And I don't eat a lot of pork or vegetarian recipes, mostly because I grew up with a meat and potato every night kinda family. But back to your questions. My goal each night is to have a FILLING meal under 600 cals. my limit for dinner. 400 for breakfast and 350 for lunch. I like a big breakfast.

What is your favorite meal:

My FAVORITE MEAL!

Flat Bread Pizza W/ Turkey pepperoni

Per person:

1.1 Light Flatout Flat Bread [90 calories]
    2.¼ cup of pizza sauce (jar or homemade. I usually use the jar and use less than a fourth of a cup but depends on taste.) [30 calories]
    3.7 – 14 slices of Turkey Pepperoni (Hormel) [35 – 70 calories]
    4.½ cup of Reduced Fat Kraft Mozzarella Cheese [90 calories]
    5.1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese [25 calories]
    6.Veggies, any kind you like. I like onion and red peppers. Average of 36 calories

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. On baking sheet, line with foil (for easy clean up) and spray with no fat cooking spray. Place flat bread on it. Top with sauce, leaving a inch to half inch “crust”. Top with pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and veggies. Finally top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and it is crisped to how you like.

For the side, I usually do seasoned steak fries

1.1 russet potato [110 calories]
    2.1/2 tsp of olive oil [20 calories]
    3.½ tsp of garlic powder
    4.½ tsp of seasoned salt
    5.½ tsp of ground black pepper
    6.½ tsp of dried parsley
    7.2 tbsp of light sour cream for dipping (optional) [35 calories]

Pre-Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut potatoes (don't peel) into ¼ inch sticks (or thicker) and place in large bowl. Add olive oil, spices, and toss until coated. On foil lined baking sheet (for ease of clean up) place out in even layer. Place in oven for 25 minutes or until soft and crispy. Toss halfway through cooking time.

What are some of your favorite healthy chicken dishes?

I have a ton of healthy chicken recipes I use but this is my favorite and my family (whom besides my sister is not on a diet) LOVE!

Per person:

1.1 thin cut chicken breast [120 calories]
    2.¼ tsp of seasoned salt
    3.¼ tsp of garlic powder
    4.¼ tsp of ground crack black pepper
    5.¼ tsp of onion powder
    6.3 tbsp of Light BBQ sauce [30 calories]
    7.1 russet potato [110 calories]
    8.2 Nibblet ears of Corn [100 calroies]
    9.1 tbsp of Bestlife Buttery Spread [50 calroies]
    10.Non-Cook cooking spray
    11.Low calories Sarah Lee Wheat Bun [110]
    12.2 tbsp of Light Sour Cream [35 calroies]
    13.Shredded Icebery Lettuce [5 calroies]

Heat skillet on medium, spray with non fat cooking spray. In another pot, cook ears of corn according to directions on back of packages. In microwave, bake the potato. Seasoned chicken with seasons, add to pan and cook until done. Shred chicken and add to bowel. Add BBQ sauce. Toss until chicken is coated well. Put on bun and add lettuce. Drain corn and top with ½ tbsp of butter and salt. Top baked potato with other ½ tbsp of butter and sour cream. Serve.

All my family loves and all left table full and under 600 calories. 560 calories actually!

What is something new and exciting I can make for dinner?!

For me, I like to try different soups and stir fries for something different. You can add all sorts of things into soups and stir fries you haven't had before. I love stuffed green peppers, but found a recipe for stuffed green peppers soups. It was delish. Also something I had never tried before was crab quesodillas. It was beyond amazing and low calories. It's actually a recipe on Skinnytaste.com but would be happy to give it to you if you need!
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The pizza, fries, and chicken sound great! Since I'm a big sweet potato fan I will also try subing the russet for myself (since no one else likes sweet potatoes).

Excellent information thank you!