On the wagon...

Options
Hey all, I've recently made the decision to quit drinking! Some background;
I'm 23, live in the US (currently in Egypt), have been drinking for quite a good time. It is beginning to interfere with EVERYTHING!
I'm now married, have quit smoking, lost weight, but can't seem to kick this habit. It has always been somewhat of an issue, but more-so now in that I can't seem to just have 1 or 2. My goal is to be able to have a beer socially and be able to stop.
So, any suggestions from anyone out there? Before anyone asks, I do not have access to AA here, so cannot go there for help.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• Twilightsunflower
    Twilightsunflower Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking when i got married. my husband doesnt drink and i cant bring my self to drink alone.
    in social situtaions i would want to drink and would feel odd having something when he wasnt. it has been almost three years now and i still have days when i wouldnt mind a drink at the end of the day.

my advice would be to get your wife on board. if she drinks ask her to quite with you or not drink around you. if she doesnt then ask her be that little voice in your ear when you have had one or two. it works great in a social situtaion when you have someone to whisper in your ear "you know that that is your second" it keeps you in check.

i wish you the best of luck on kicking this habit!! you can do it!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Actually you do have something there in Egypt...
    http://alcoholrehab.com/international-rehab/
  • schlange11b
    schlange11b Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Caitlin, my wife (same name actually, weird! ) is one of the reasons I am stopping. She has asked me to, and is supporting me so that I can get through this.
    And Cramer, thank you for the link, I will check it out. :) Any support is definitely appreciated, as a large percentage of the people I work with drink.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Not a problem! We have tons of international patients who go home often.. Egypt one of them. I remember reading about that facility in some documentation while I was doing an appeal with the insurance plan. The patient did work-related travel and wanted to continue with his recovery but had no clue what to do when he went overseas.... This place has several locations world-wide... and Ive heard great things!

8-)
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy activity to replace drinking when you have cravings. The only way someone can be successful at ditching a bad habit is replacing it. This is why a lot of people that give up alochol become "addicted" to AA meetings. So, find something you can do when you have cravings and keep at it until the craving subsides.
    I was a pretty heavy drinker at one point. I would drink a lot on the weekends and have a few a couple nights during the week. I knew I needed to stop the habit, but I wasn't ready. When I joined MFP I naturally decreased my alochol intake. I don't let myself drink anything else until my daily water is done, which helps me push off the craving. Also, seeing the calorie count makes me crazy! I stopped drinking during the week almost immediately and only have 2-3 at most on weekend nights now. I can honestly say, I have not been s***faced since joining MFP over 60 days ago.

BTW, just wanted to tell you that I work with mental health patients with drug and alochol issues, so I'm not just some random person spouting junk, I have learned the replacement method throughout my time working where I do. Good Luck!
  • cramernh
    Options
    Find a healthy activity to replace drinking when you have cravings. The only way someone can be successful at ditching a bad habit is replacing it. This is why a lot of people that give up alochol become "addicted" to AA meetings. So, find something you
    BTW, just wanted to tell you that I work with mental health patients with drug and alochol issues, so I'm not just some random person spouting junk, I have learned the replacement method throughout my time working where I do. Good Luck!

Well hello fellow healthcare worker! 8-D
  • HelloSweetie4
    Options
    Find a healthy activity to replace drinking when you have cravings. The only way someone can be successful at ditching a bad habit is replacing it. This is why a lot of people that give up alochol become "addicted" to AA meetings. So, find something you

Well hello fellow healthcare worker! 8-D

lol Howdy!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I had my last drink the night of January 8th, 1993. The night ended in the local police station, and I was ordered by the court into treatment. Best thing that ever happened to me. I agree with the poster above who says the real "power" of AA is that it gives someone whose life has revolved around alcohol and hanging around fellow drinkers something else to do. I was required to attend AA meetings as part of my treatment ... went for about a year and a half, but found the disease model, the notion that you must forever label yourself an "alcoholic" (a disease that's nowhere to be found in the DSM-IV, by the way) and the emphasis on the "program" being the only way to get and stay sober problematic. Relapses were explained as people not "working their program" 100%: this is BS, relapses happen because getting and staying sober is difficult. Many or most people changing an addictive behavior will relapse, and relapse multiple times (this pattern should BTW sound familiar to all of us who struggle with our relationship to food).

Alternatives to AA include outpatient treatment, Rational Recovery (if you can find it) and the mindfulness approach to recovery. You can find books on mindfulness and recovery as well as Rational Recovery on Amazon. People get sober and stay sober with and without AA, and the evidence doesn't suggest AA's track record is better than other approaches to sobriety. See:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=does-alcoholics-anonymous-work

For those who are in AA and it's working for you, that's great ... just be aware that it's not the only path to sobriety, and it's not for everyone. What keeps me off alcohol?

* I've grown to know myself over the years. I know that if I have a drink, I may get away with it, but in a short period of time there's a good possibility I won't be drinking reasonably any more. Same thing with smoking (which I stopped in 1979).

* The memory of being handcuffed that night to a metal post at the police station, and the knowledge of the personal and financial cost of my dependency on alcohol. That's why I'm unwilling to take the risk of having "just one".

* The knowledge of how much better my life is now without alcohol. Yeah, I was high functioning but my life is immensely better without drinking in it.

I stay away from events that involve a lot of alcohol, and won't hang out with people who would try to get me to drink or "just have one" (and frankly, being around drunks isn't enjoyable or entertaining any more). I stay out of bars. If i'm in a situation or place that doesn't feel right to me, I leave. It probably took a good two years for the thoughts of alcohol to leave ... for a long time, I'd think "I really want a drink" when I was stressed out. I still get stressed, but I have healthier ways of dealing with stress than numbing my circuits. Bottom line is, I decided to stop BSing myself about my problem with alcohol

Can you change your relationship to alcohol and be a controlled drinker? Some people can, but many can't. I cook with alcohol, and have no problem with it ... but that's not a suggestion for everyone. But I stayed completely away from alcohol in all its forms the first year.

I also have a background in a mental health field, BTW, and worked with many chemically dependent folks over the years. :)
  • HelloSweetie4
    Options
    Congrats vingogly on your 19 years of sobriety!

I am glad that you pointed out that relapses are going to happen, I forgot to mention that. It's near impossible to give up an addiction without some relapses along the way.
  • schlange11b
    Options
    I have replaced smoking (in the past) with running and working out, so I am familiar with the replacing of a bad habit with a good one. :) I am just having an issue with finding another habit that is as readily available to me as alcohol is. Caffeine seems to be helping a bit, but I feel I'm going through an awful lot of coffee, green tea, and Monster Zero. I have also recently gotten into SCUBA (Adv cert last weekend), and alcohol does not mix well with this, but it can also cost an exorbitant amount.
    As was mentioned, I have an issue with being labeled an "Alcoholic", but I understand that I may be one (if that makes any sense). Also, attending any meetings with any kind of regularity would be difficult for me, otherwise I definitely think that I would benefit from this.
    Once more, thank you all for your support! I do really want to stick to it this time, and just these words of encouragement are a HUGE help. Ultimately, I think the support from experienced/knowledgeable people is exactly what I need. :)
    What did you guys find to "replace" alcohol?
  • HelloSweetie4
    Options
    It's pretty common to replace alochol with caffine, but you are right, it's not a very healthy replacement. But it might be a good stepping stone to get you towards a healthier life style.
    And you are right, scuba would be too difficult and too costly to replace it with. Are you artistic at all? maybe replace it with drawing, writing, or playing an instrument (all great stress-relievers). This is a good opprotunity for you to explore new hobbies and see what you like!
  • cherylroyle
    Options
    Hi there,

I don't know if this will help, but I too went on the wagon, began on Ash Wednesday this year. Like you I couldn't just have 1 or 2, my background is as a mum of 3, work part-time with little time to myself. I didn't and don't consider myself as having a drink problem as such, but it became an issue in that it was the only way I could relax. I would put the kids to bed then down a bottle of wine every night, maybe two on a weekend.

The first thing you have to do it figure out what the drink is giving you. For me it was instant relaxation after yet another busy day, one glass I was chilled, it was so much more convenient and quicker than having a bath or reading a book.

Once you know that, you can begin to replace it, for me I used lent as a good excuse and gave up cold turkey, but to help relax I started going out for a walk (but without my purse so i couldn't nip into the off licence), I forced myself to sit down and read a chapter of a book the minute I put the kids to bed, before going in the kitchen and being tempted to go in the fridge for the wine. I also let everyone know I wasn't drinking so they wouldn't keep offering me one, and it also meant that the kids would remind me I was doing it for lent.

I hope you can figure out why you drink, if it is just a bad habit, let everyone know your giving it up for a set period of time so that they can support you, but also so you have an achievable goal, so maybe set a goal of a month to start with and see how you feel and find what works for you.

Good luck, sobriety isn't so bad, but after 40 days of lent I did enjoy a drink and I have found it much easier since having some time off from it, to just drink socially and in moderation.

All the best,

Cheryl
  • schlange11b
    Options
    I've never really thought of "why" I drink... I just kind of always have. I guess it stems from low self-esteem, stress relief, and the social aspect of it. All of those which can be solved through other means, now that I think about it.
    As for the artistic thing, I'm not what you would call "talented" by any means, but I have always wanted to get better on the harmonica... :)