Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Looking for suggestions for healthy snack foods

Hi all, I'm new to the forums so here goes. I'm on MFP like everyone else to loose weight and improve my health but I'm finding the weight loss very slow even though I'm putting in steady workouts. I am putting it down to my diet and low calorie intake which from what I've read on here and elsewhere has a huge bearing on slow weight loss. I eat when I'm hungry and don't starve myself so I can only admit to myself that it must be that I'm not eating the right foods then. I'm looking for suggestions as to what healthy snacks or foods people use to supplement their main meals or for the dreaded afternoon hunger. Along with fruit and nuts, I have tried "Kind" Protein bars and Gold Standard "Whey" shakes but have not found them very appealing. Are there any nice tasting snacks or shakes out there that people can recommend. I must add that I live in Ireland where the un-healthy snacks are delicious and it's difficult to get a nice tasting healthy replacement other than fruit. Any suggestions welcome, Thanks.

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    If they are available there, the Fiber One brownies are really good and only 90 calories each. Yogurt is also a good choice.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    What about Greek yogurt? I love it. You can get it plain or with fruit.....very filling for only 130 cals or so.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    what about some cheese like babybel snack bites and a few crackers?
  • lbannon24
    lbannon24 Posts: 4 Member
    I love the Vitatops brownies & muffin tops. They are only 100 calories & have lots of protein & fiber. You can find them in the frozen food section of the supermarket.
  • pinkleah456
    pinkleah456 Posts: 34
    Apples, nuts, yogurts, bananas, nakd bars, oat cakes, rice cakes...
  • krown89
    krown89 Posts: 1
    Hey swoopdj for your shakes look into getting PB2, it is a powdered peanut product that you can add to your shakes. I also add truvia sugar that is only 5 calories per 1/2 tsp. Greek Yoghurt is also a good choice, tuna if you like that, I also like string cheese low in fat of course. Try also adding almond milk to your shakes.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 968 Member
    My favourite healthy snacks are

Babybel Light Cheese
    Cucumber batons
    Cherry tomatoes
    Lettuce gem leaves
    Weight Watchers cereal/snack bars
    Grapes
    Satsumas
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    carrot batons and low fat houmous
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    I usually snack on
    popcorn
    mini rice cakes
    fruit
    frozen fruit bars
    skinny cow ice cream bars
    seneca apple chips
    nonfat yogurt
    special K or fiber onegranola bars
    popchips
    baked lays
    oatmeal or cream of wheat
    baked sweet potatoe
    baked apple with cinnamon
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    laughing cow cheese wedges they are really yummy. 35 calories a wedge. I spread it on crackers

raw veggies with ranch dressing

apples slices with peanut butter

air popped corn with light butter

do a tray of your favorite fruits with a slice of cheese

nuts
    raisins
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    I slice up a apple so it takes longer to eat.
    Also strawberries, cucumbers,
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Spinach salads! Baby carrots and hummus, broccoli and hummus, red/yellow/orange pepper and hummus - lol, pretty much veggies and hummus :)

I'm big on fresh fruit - mango, apple, grapefruit, strawberries. I keep everything pre-cleaned and prepared so its easy to portion for on the go.

Almonds are great too :)

Or I make a huge veggie stir fry (massive amounts of vegetables, no oil, just hoisin sauce) and have small portions as a snack.
  • punkybrewster88
    punkybrewster88 Posts: 11 Member
    I really like the BSN Lean Dessert Protein shakes (particularly the chocolate pudding flavor as I am a chocholic). They are a whey/egg combo, very low carb and taste yummy!! Another snack I like is a banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, that will usually hold me for a couple of hours. Good luck!!
  • roger9
    roger9 Posts: 30
    yasso frozen greek yogurt bars and angie's kettle corn!
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    snack food to me mean picky stuff... no major cooking required... i loved dried cherrys (i hated the idea of dried fruit til i found those. theyre sticky and sweet and yum!!) and i also love toasted sumflower seeds.... seems to cure my craving for crisps. i just chuck em in a dry saucepan on the hob til they brown..... not much cooking x
  • whodatwhodat
    whodatwhodat Posts: 1 Member
    This has saved me several times.
    1/2 Cup of cottage cheese
    Small apple cut up
    Sprinkle with truvia and Cinnamon
    Around 160 calories and so yummy!!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Raw carrots. Eat as many as you like. Cucumber also raw, cut in big blocks and with salt and pepper - those are nice because they're pretty juicy to begin with so you don't want to grab that dip sauce with loads of calories. Dried fruit, like apple, is also good. Beef jerky is pretty good as long as you wash it down with water, not soda!

STAY AWAY FROM NUTS! They are a hidden calorie pitfall. First of all they contain a lot of calories. Secondly they're dry so they make you grab that soda and consume even more calories.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    when I am hungry I go and workout instead. It gets my mind off of food. You need another distraction because it might not be real hunger to begin with, just bored hunger. I love having a bunch of fresh veggies cut up at all times waiting for me so I choose that instead of something unhealthy. I also keep all easy snacks out of my house. Nuts are also proving to be a problem. Fresh fruits and veggies for me because you can eat a lot of them and if the hunger isn't real, just the chewing on something can be satisfying. Gum also helps tide me over as well as warm tea with a splash of milk :)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Nature Valley has a fairly new protein bar out that is yummy. Not low calorie (around 190), but 10g protein, only about 5-6g sugar and filling. I am a fan of cheese sticks and cottage doubles as well...
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    I don't do dairy much anymore, so yogurts are out, but there are still plenty of options. I pack several servings of fruit with me, lightly roasted unsalted almonds, protein bar, etc.
    Sometimes a piece of dark bitter chocolate is a nice "pick me up" too :)