Fit enough for Kickboxing?

Options
Ok, my concern is that I'm going to go to class and end up looking like an idiot. I'm a heavy woman, but I carry myself well and I'm super flexible. I'm capable of about an hour on the elliptical at moderate intensity (50 RPM), but I feel like I'm really not getting a lot out of it, and I want to incorporate something I actually... you know, have FUN doing, as opposed to just listening to music and day dreaming. I also want something that's going to help build muscle. I know it's an intense workout but I have really good stamina.

So, I'm 5'8, about 300lbs, not diabetic, no heart issues. I can keep a moderate cardio pace but I can't really do proper push-ups or sit-ups.

I don't need an ego boost, I need to know the truth. Am I fit enough to start a kickboxing routine? Am I not giving aerobic exercise enough credit?

(PS, I did a Zumba class once and it was the most god-awful, boring, girly thing I've ever done in my life. Please don't suggest it. I'm looking for something to get my aggression out.)

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    At your weight you are capable of doing kickboxing. A lot of exercise have a person doing a modify version and if they don't have a person doing the modify version, you do your own modify version. A person's weight is nothing but a number. A person doesn't have to be a certain scale weight number, in order to do a workout. Believe in yourself and always do a workout at your level.
  • Hummingbird26
    Options
    Ok, I've recently taken up kick boxing and I'm loving it! .... I'm finding that the most difficult thing is my balance, which has already improved!
    If you can do an hour on the cross trainer then you'll have no problem, I still don;t have that kind of stamina!
    Kick boxing will help with everything, my instructor has taught me some core exercises too which only take about 5 mins a few times a week.
    Give it a go, you'll enjoy it :-)
  • mlapanowski
    mlapanowski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are doing aerobic exercise for an hour, you should be fine for kickboxing. I do kickboxing 4 times a week and the only people I see who have serious issues with it are those who don't have the ability to keep moving. YOu're going to be a beginner so don't be hard on yourself, but in terms of ability, you seem to be in a good place for it :)
  • KathieSwenson
    KathieSwenson Posts: 179
    Options
    Ok, I've recently taken up kick boxing and I'm loving it! .... I'm finding that the most difficult thing is my balance, which has already improved!
    If you can do an hour on the cross trainer then you'll have no problem, I still don;t have that kind of stamina!
    Kick boxing will help with everything, my instructor has taught me some core exercises too which only take about 5 mins a few times a week.
    Give it a go, you'll enjoy it :-)

I agree with this. IF you can do moderate exercises on a machine that is a cardio machine IE Eliptical, treadmill for an hour you can do kickboxing. I am a martial artist and even did the jumps and everything at my heaviest 220. IT is very possible to do this. HOWEVER, I want to advise you to go ahead and see you physician and get your yearly physical and talk to him about it. Kickboxing is a very stressful high demand physical exercise. It includes punching and kicking and as one has already said balance will be an issue. Even for light people balance is an issue. HOWEVER, If you can endure it. You will be fine. Like i said IT can be a very demanding exercise so go ahead and see your physician, let him know what you are planning and talk to him about it first. You need to talk to him about it not to us.

Thanks Kathie
    1st degree red belt TAE KWON DO
  • Liss416
    Liss416 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Now mind you, I've never taken a kickboxing class - but have done several different kickboxing videos/on-demand shows... In all the different kickboxing programs I've seen, there is always someone who does the low impact/intensity version of the exercise. You know your body. Pay attention to form and slow down if you need to... if you're unsure, try a video at home (on-demand has some)... or if you're thinking about buying a dvd - I'm a HUGE fan of Chris Fretag's 10lb slimdown xtreme - it has several different exercise programs including kickboxing. In fact, her kickboxing dvd is the best I've seen yet - shows low impact - fun and yet intense routines - not dancy (did I just make up a word?) and she explains correct form.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yes! I was about 200lbs (5'1") and extremeley sedentary and i jumped into kickboxing classes in November. I was uncoordinated and couldnt move as fast at first, but i still did it. Now i go 3x a week love it!
  • cndraycott
    cndraycott Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, such great replies! I love this community.

I remember talking to my doctor a couple years ago about starting a jogging routine, and he said that I should have no a problem at all. I'm only 25, so I imagine there hasn't been a tonne of change in my body since then. I'll call and ask, but other than that, I'm getting a good feeling I'll be OK.

Generally my balance is pretty good. I can ice skate, and usually only find myself a little wobbly in the morning ^_~!

THANKS GUYS!! I'll give it a go!
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message =)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I started Muay Thai (like kickboxing, but harder and with more strikes) with a fitness level of about 0... it wsa fine.
  • cndraycott
    cndraycott Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. The MMA gym I plan on going to actually specializes in Muay Thai. Some of the trainers there look stupidly intimidating though. That just another reason I'm afraid to go.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    That's amazing. The MMA gym I plan on going to actually specializes in Muay Thai. Some of the trainers there look stupidly intimidating though. That just another reason I'm afraid to go.

Usually they are totally laid back. Just be super careful with the elbows and knees at first.
  • KathieSwenson
    KathieSwenson Posts: 179
    Options

Don't be afraid of the instructors in martial arts. They ate there to train you and make sure you learn what you are supposed to do. The instructors know how to control there movements and will work to make sur e you don't get hurt as long as they are a good school. I train under a guy who breaks bats with his legs so I know intimidating, but once you get to know him he's one of the sweetest people out there and will bend over backward to make sure you learn with out getting hurt.