Friendships?

Options
Have you ever had a friendship that was built primarily on you eating together? Since High School all there is to do in the place that I live is eat. Skip school and go to lunch, hang out at restaurants on the weekends, late night 24-Hour Diner runs. What happens when you take food out of a relationship where food was your major thing in common? Just wondering if anyone has ever been through it the way I'm going through it now. I get asked every day to go out to eat, and sometimes I do, but I dont eat much, and people look at me questioningly. I dont want everyone in my life to know I'm dieting. It puts too much pressure on me when they ask about it all the time. I'm drifting from my close friends and it bothers me. Almost makes me just want to eat with them again so that things dont all change at once. Little rant... sorry! :)

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I only have a few friends and my best friend we get together almost once a week. We met at work and started taking lunches and breaks together. While we normally eat I wouldn't say that if you take food out of it we wouldn't have anything to do. We can eat lunch and sit and tak for 3 hours. I also have been inviting her to use my free passes at the Y. Good luck with your friendships.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I've noticed now that really the only activity I do with friends involves food or watching movies. This has made me more creative in thinking up new activities to do with them like going for walks, doing our nails, just sitting and chatting, etc.

I wish you luck! It certainly has been a pain for me.
  • lisars135
    lisars135 Posts: 19
    Options
    You don't have to let them know and you can still go out with them. Just order a healthier option and if they comment on it just tell them your taste is changing or that you are wanting to eat healthier. That takes the pressure off of the word "diet", and it's no one's business but yours.
    With that being said, to answer your question yes I have those friendships as well and had someone just given me the advice that I just have you I may still have those friendships.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It's hard, because it seems like most societal recreation revolves around food. We celebrate every victory and milestone with a party that usually involves food and drink. It makes one wonder what else there is. There are sports. I like to go to baseball games with my friends. You could ask your friends to take walks with you. Even walking around the mall is a good diversion from food--as long as you stay away from the food court. Ask your friends if they are interested in taking up a hobby--like bird watching, knitting, or jogging. But above all, don't stop enjoying lunches and dinners with them. Just do your best to make healthy choices. You shouldn't have to explain why you want to eat healthier. Good luck!
  • Child369
    Child369 Posts: 11
    Options
    Some realize too late but your so young that you have the power to make all your choices work for you. Decide the type of life you want and ditch the breakfast, lunch and dinner dates. People inviting you to lunch are not doing it to make you fail, they like many people socialize while eatting, its pretty normal. You don't need to tell everyone your latest attempt to get your life back in control, trust me they will figure it out themselves when you are not able to make your regular restaurant meetings. They will either find someone else or you might even impower them by being a great role model.
    Pick one challenge you have and don't do it anymore for one month and see how it doesn't kill you but impowers you to take back control. The people you go out to eat with are going to be the ones you meet maybe for the rest of your life, unless you change the outcome. Be proud of yourself and take baby steps. If that means saying your going to start eatting a healthy breakfast only, do it. Focus on nothing more than that at first. You will see that giving yourself the respect you deserve a little at a time will lead to some big daily challenges that will seem not that big of a deal anymore. Start with the easiest goal and pick a time frame, then add another. Each challenge you take on will seem easier and easier. Good luck and respect yourself, you're worth it!