Kill the Cravings?!?!

Options
Jordant107
Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
I've been doing pretty good with what I eat up until the past week or so- I've begun to have really bad cravings that I've given into all too many times!!! I regret it so much afterwards, but I still can't stop the next time!!
It's mostly late at night, and I'll be wanting peanut butter (not in small doses), breads, chocolate, etc...............!!! :(
Anyone have any tips of how to control the cravings, and how to have the right mindset to overcome them?!?

Replies

• bpientok
    bpientok Posts: 14
    Options
    Well night time is my bad time as well! I got a few protien shakes they are only about 120 calories by EAS. I went to GNC and asked the guy the exact same question! They are not real cheap but I am sick of looking at my belly over my pants!!!!!
  • robertniccum
    Options
    This is a daily struggle for me. Have you tried planning a splurge once a week or so? Pick something you really love, like a favorite dessert or pasta dish or something, and plan it. Make an event out of it, and remember it everytime you want to go eat something you know isn't going to help your goals.

Then when you do eat that splurge, enjoy it. Eat it slowly, one bite at a time. For me, looking forward to something has been known to help me resist urges at other times.

Also, are you keeping this stuff at home? Throw it out. If you go seek it on your own, say, on the way to/from work or something, keep on moving until you reach your destination. And remember how bad you'll feel after eating it. I hope this helps!
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    This is a daily struggle for me. Have you tried planning a splurge once a week or so? Pick something you really love, like a favorite dessert or pasta dish or something, and plan it. Make an event out of it, and remember it everytime you want to go eat something you know isn't going to help your goals.

Then when you do eat that splurge, enjoy it. Eat it slowly, one bite at a time. For me, looking forward to something has been known to help me resist urges at other times.

Also, are you keeping this stuff at home? Throw it out. If you go seek it on your own, say, on the way to/from work or something, keep on moving until you reach your destination. And remember how bad you'll feel after eating it. I hope this helps!

Sorry, the above post was from me. I was doing something on my DH's account and forgot to log him out!
  • cazzy147
    cazzy147 Posts: 47
    Options
    I have been having the exact same things. Especially when it comes down to chocolate. Last night was the same.
    Though i have found many ways to overcome it.
    I either think, 'if i dont have any tonight i can have it tomorrow and that way i wont go over my calories and ill apritiate it more'
    or an idea some people suggest is to brush your teeth as you dont normally want to eat once you have done because it makes food taste horrible.
    also hiding food away can help or making yourself have something healthy instead.
    its always a battle, but they might help.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I find if I don't keep the food in the house it helps with the cravings. And if the cravings are real bad, i know I have to go out and get it and I'll have to walk to the shop.

Last night it was pretty bad, so I made a weightwatchers microwave cake. I didn't have any marge so used butter, so it was 217 cals per slice, but if I'd used marge it would've been 170. And it was within my calorie budget and one slice satisfied the 'chocolate need'.

Another way to help is have a glass of water, that sometimes help. Also, try fruit teas. I normally drink redbush tea, with no sugar or milk, but if i feel the need for something sweet i go for a raspberry tea or a lemon and ginger tea.

I also discovered rakusens herb and onion crackers. The crackers are 18 cals each and are quite nice eaten on their own, but can be topped with light philly cheese or light cottage cheese.

But perhaps the best way is not to have those trigger foods in the house and then when you crave, you'll make do with other things which might be lighter in calories.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys! I have got some whey protein thats about 110 calories (I usually mix it with yoghurt and other foods to get my protein intake up) but I'll consider having a shake if I get the cravings!!
    I'd rather not have anything though- I'd feel much better if I could just say 'no' and that be the end of it!! I feel a lot less guilty about liquid calories though, so I guess a protein shake is the lesser of the evils!!!
    I'll also have to try brushing my teeth when I get hungry.................................I guess it's true that you don't like food as much after you've brushed them!!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I chew a ton of sugar free gum and it helps....2 sticks at a time...and drink lots of crystal light.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    To kill the cravings, you have to stay away from the trigger foods just like a drug addict or an alcoholic must stay away from drugs or alcohol to break their addiction.

The majority of cravings, especially those that result in eating a bunch of refined and processed food is a form of addiction.
  • bpientok
    bpientok Posts: 14
    Options
    I tried this too, crystal light, but found the body is also not interested in aspartame. It is less calories but still sugar which will still mess with hormones, which can lead to cravings and possible weight gain. Just something I read in the Perfect 10 Diet. Sorry.
  • damnedlady
    damnedlady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have had good periods where I'm able to actually restrain myself, but now I'm where I can't have anything in the house. Like today: Had chocolate that I bought for something on Tuesday, but now I ate it all ... :(

Apart from not having anything in the house, I try to eat something healthy instead. If I crave sugar, I can have a smoothie or berries, and if I crave some refined carbs, I eat dark bread with cheese or avocado and vegetables.

Tea helps too, but NOT artificial sweeteners. They tend to just increase the cravings. Good luck! :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I had horrible cravings when I first started MFP! I think it was withdrawal from all the junk I was eating! I had to get rid of the bad stuff in the house and boil a dozen eggs at a time, eat just the whites (17 cals each) and it would fill me up. I'd eat maybe 2 or 3. I still add those to salads. I also would drink a full 16oz glass of water and that helps a lot. Flavored water and/or Crystal light or the generic kinds are a little more satisfying than plain water. And NO I don't fear sugar substitutes. I've been using them since they were invented, with no problems. If they bother you, don't use them.
    Also, find something to do to keep you busy and distract you. Sometimes the craving will pass after getting your mind set on something else.
    Make sure you fit some of your 'crave' foods in your diary each week. What I do is buy a single serving of whatever I'm craving and make it fit into my diary with more exercise, if necessary. If you don't control the portion size now, you certainly wont be able to maintain later.
    Good luck!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty good with what I eat up until the past week or so- I've begun to have really bad cravings that I've given into all too many times!!! I regret it so much afterwards, but I still can't stop the next time!!
    It's mostly late at night, and I'll be wanting peanut butter (not in small doses), breads, chocolate, etc...............!!! :(
    Anyone have any tips of how to control the cravings, and how to have the right mindset to overcome them?!?

Personally I find reevaluating the daily intake is the best thing to do. See if you are balancing out your intake with good proteins, healthy fats, always consuming vegetables, the occasional fruit, staying well hydrated.

Example: this morning I had a two-egg omelet with 1oz Mozzarella, mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach, and three strips of fresh maple bacon. I ate that at 8am. That kept me satisified until 1:30pm today. (Protein, fat, vegetables, dairy).

If I were to take away those vegetables, I know that I would not have made it until 1:30pm... those vegetables contain good sources of fiber. I probably would have been hungry by about 10:00am/10:30am. It has happened before so I went back, looked over everything, and determined where I need to add more vegetables and to what meals... Thats just an example.

2190 calories huh? MMMMMMMMM I see a nice 8oz prime rib, fresh horseradish, garlic butter melted on top with grilled asparagus flavored with freshly squeezed lemon and a nice hearty salad with a full fat homemade dressing...
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    If you are a chocolate fiend-take a bit of chocolate and melt it slowly in the microwave. Then dip some fresh strawberried in it. Let cool--so yummy!!