Most Frequently questions.... ANSWERED!

Options
So, I know that there are a lot of newbies out there on MFP that are really confused as to what to do, how to exercise, what to eat ect.... well I thought I would write a post and answer some frequently asked questions. I am just writing the answers from how I understand. I am not an expert but I have been on MFP for over 6 months and have lost 70lbs.I have gone from 210lbs to 140lbs. (I am 5' 8 btw)

Question #1- How many calories should I really be eating because MFP tells me I should be eating 1200?

It is all based on what works for your body but you should really be netting your BMR or base rate metabolism. MFP sets everyone at the generic 1200 calories for a two pound loss a week whether you are 5' 1 or 6' and this is starving your body. I would suggest going onto one of the websites I have linked below and figuring out your TDEE (another commonly known expression standing for Total Daily Energy Expenditure). If you want to lose weight at a comfortable amount of calories then all you need to do is take your TDEE and subtract – 500 a day to lost 1lb a week.
Example;
I am 5'8 very active and have a BMR of 1508 calories per day.... I should NEVER net below this but if you are going to net below this please do not net below 1200. So basically what this means is this is how many calories I would have to eat per day if I layed in bed all day and did absolutely nothing.
Use this website to find your BMR http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
BMR= 1508
TDEE= 2337
TDEE= how many calories you burn per day with activity counted in.
What I like to do is take my tdee subtract -500
2337 – 500= 1837
So I would eat 1837 calories a day to see a loss of 1 lb per week. Try to net this number but if you can't then atleast net what your BMR is.
Very basic TDEE calculator here... http://www.bestdallaspersonaltrainer.com/energy-expenditure-calculator.html

2) Okay now I have my TDEE and subtracted -500 and got _____ amount of calories now do I eat back my exercise calories?

I personally only eat back my exercise calories if I net below my BMR of 1508 but there is a lot of controversy on MFP of whether to eat them or not. Try eating them and try not eating them for one week at a time and see which week you a)feel most comfortable with or b) lose the most weight with. Just make sure you are fueling your body accurately.
Interesting topic posts on this subject...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539912-why-eating-exercise-calories-is-so-important?hl=eating+exercise+calories&page=19#posts-7810015

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/504899-do-you-eat-exercise-calories?hl=eating+exercise+calories&page=1#posts-7029659

Just do what works for you....

3) My weight loss has stalled and I don't know what to do.... HELP?!?!?!
A plateau in weight loss is usually caused by a) your body just wanting to stay at that weight because it is comfortable there or b) because your body has gotten use to your routine. To break a plateau try a combination of things. I think the best way to break a plateau is to up your calories a little bit and see what happens. Sometimes a plateau is just a way for your body to communicate with you that you are not feeding it enough and that it needs more fuel so it is just going to hold onto whatever fuel it does get and store it as fat. Also try switching up your exercise routines by incorporating new things. For me my weight loss has stalled and I think it is just my body telling me that “hey I have been losing weight for 10 months, I am tired and I am ready to stop now” so instead of pushing my body further I have begun to lift heavy weights (which I strongly suggest if you are on a plateau)

4) I am a women though, should I lift heavy?
Absolutely!!! I have noticed more change in my body composition in the last two months of heavy lifting then I have in the 10 months where I did straight cardio. Cardio has its place in a good well rounded routine but lifting is essential to maintain a nice lean form. I lift 2-3x week and I usually have cardio 4-5 x a week since I am in my last year of high school and we still have P.E everyday which is a lot of running. Women do not get “bulky if they lift” and don't be scared to go into the weights section... I know there are a lot of guys in there (actually it is more like testosterone central!) but just get your butt in there and do it. Not to mention guys find it so bad *kitten* when women lift!

Here is a basic routine for beginner lifting... do 4 sets of 8 reps (rest 45 seconds- 1 minute between sets)
Squats
Bench Press
Bent over Rows
Overhead barbell press
Stiff-legged dead lift
Chest Press
Leg Press
This is a full body circuit. For the first set of 8 use a weight that is pretty light and you are comfortable lifting. For the second set of 8 use a weight up that you feel you could do 8 reps of but it would still burn. Then for the last 2 sets use a weight that really challenges you. A weight that you can barely get 6-8 reps out.
Here is a good workout for women aswell using the machines
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html
This is an awesome site for body building stuff like workouts, diet plans, tips ect...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm?sel=Getting-Started#getting-started

5) What can I do to make my tummy go flatter?
The tummy and thigh areas are always the last to go it seems like and I hate to say it but you really cannot target one certain area. Yes you can do ab exercises that will tighten up the muscles underneath but 100 crunches a day is going to next to nothing unless you burn the fat that is layering over top of it. This is where a good balanced routine comes into place. Make sure you do your cardio, weight lifting and body resistance exercises. Eventually your tummy will flatten out. The fat around your stomach is there to protect vital organs and that is why it is usually the last to go.
Good workouts to do to help your stomach go flatter...
Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (so many people have tried this DVD and it is truly an awesome workout)
Beach Body DVDs (P90X, Insanity, Turbofire ect...)(advanced routines not really suggested for someone just getting started)
Actually any Jillian Michaels routine is good LOL
The 25 circuit-
25 crunches
25 situps
25 bicycle crunches
25 reverse crunches
25 pushups (you can break this into like 5 sets of 5 pushups if you can't do pushups or do lady pushups) and no pushups are not just an arm exercise they are a whole body exercise....:grumble:
Plank (as long as you can but try for over 1 min)
You can try pilates for stubborn stomach fat

6) I am just getting started and I have no idea what to eat???
I am going to keep this simple since this explanation could go on for an hour... Try to follow the food guide roughly and if it is not on the food guide then you probably should not eat it.
Grains- 5-7 servings: stick to whole grains and do not eat anything white (white means enriched and unnatural) choose brown bread, rice, pasta ect... Whole wheat and whole grain bread are very similar but I personally like whole grain because that means that they have literally ground up the entire grain and you will get the most fiber and vitamins out of it. As for cereal try to stick to a cereal with as little sugar as possible and as much fiber as possible. I personally do not really find boxed cereal very healthy so I only eat it once in a while I tend to stick to oatmeal. Oatmeal is awesome and I would highly suggest it! For us low carbers out there getting in 5-7 servings is a lot but try to get at least 3-4 servings.
One serving= 1 slice of bread, 0.75 cup of oatmeal or half a cup of brown rice
Vegetables and Fruit: Eat as many vegetables as you want personally I do not even count them into my calorie intake (some may find this wrong but I honestly don't care) vegetables help keep me regular if you know what I mean:blushing: and I don't think there should be a limit on them (with this rule though I do count higher calorie or starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes.) Try to get in 5-10 servings of fruit and vegetables a day ( limit your fruit to no more than 2 pieces of fruit per day due to their sugar levels, yes it is natural sugar but it is still sugar)
One serving= 1 medium fruit or vegetable, half a cup of juice, 1 cup salad
Milk and dairy : Stick to low fat or skim milk (1%). Try for 2-4 servings.
One serving= 1 cup milk, 50g of cheese, 175 ml of yogurt
Meat and Alternatives: Eat 2-4 servings per day. Do not eat red meat too often. Stick to lean meats and fishes like salmon, tilapia, chicken and turkey.
A serving should be 100g or the size of your palm without your fingers. (deck of cards) Eat lots of protein it is what builds your muscles plus it takes way more calories to break down 1 ounce of protein vs 1 ounce of fat
You should also include at least 1 tbsp of olive oil or sunflower oil into your cooking. It is a source of healthy fat and it naturally lubricates your digestive system. The fats in olive oil are mono-saturated fat and help with a healthy cardiovascular system and digestive system.
For healthy recipes try this website; http://www.skinnytaste.com/
As for water get AT LEAST 8 cups of water a day.... I truly believe it helps with weight loss. :drinker: I count plain green tea (no milk or sugar) as water but some people do not.

7) Should I have rest days off from exercise?
Another controversial topic on MFP. I believe that yes you definitely need to let your body rest. I have 1-2 rest days per week. I have a scheduled day where I do not workout but I usually still manage to do something light like walking. Do not just take a day off because your body is a little sore you need to push through that... No pain no gain. In respect to that though, if you cannot move and it feels more like an injury than just muscle soreness let yourself rest as long as you need too. Do not burn yourself out by over training just do what makes you comfortable.

These are the most common questions I can think of for now but if I think of anymore I will just edit this post. If you guys have anymore questions feel free to post them and if I don't answer your question then hopefully someone in the forum will. Hope this gives some help to some confused people out there. Again these are my personal opinions and what I have comprehended after many months of research and of my new lifestyle. If anybody has anything too add feel free too :smile:

Replies

• rpfitness6
    rpfitness6 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. My BMR is 1326 and TDEE is 1591 so that means eat 1091(1591-500) calories a day to lose one pound per week? Thanks.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My TDEE -500 is 1200 so I always get confused by this!
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    @ rpfitness6- no... you have probably calculated your TDEE wrong. That calculator is a very simple calculator... Do not net below your BMR of 1326. You should probably eat around 1500 calories a day.
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    @ leopard_barbi What is your BMR?
  • pnut80
    pnut80 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great post - I am just starting out, and even advice from "non-experts" is greatly appreciated! :)
  • Mar1l1ze
    Mar1l1ze Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for this :)
  • valeriekay23
    valeriekay23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    BMR- 1430
    TDEE- 2494

So I should be eating 1996 calories a day everyday, even without exercise?
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BRM: 1818
    TDEE: 2818

Does that mean I should be eating 2300 calories? That seems a LOT to me. I want to lose more than 1lb a week, at least now that I'm at my heaviest. Can I eat 2000cals and still be okay?
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    @ MUByM- I would eat somewhere between your BMR and your TDEE... I think a good starting point for you would be to eat 1700 and eat your exercise calories. Everyone is different and you might need to eat more or less than this to see a loss but never net below 1430.
    @hanneberries- If you want to lose more than lb a week then subtract -1000 calories a day for 2lbs per week
    2818-1000=1818=BMR So i would suggest to net your BMR.
  • rpfitness6
    rpfitness6 Posts: 8
    Options
    Please help
    I calculated the TDEE using the website you said. My BMR is 1326 and combined with sedentary life style and then clicking on
    "Calculate BMR" ( Iguess this is a typo on the website?) it comes back with 1591. So that would mean 1091 calories. The mfp calculation comes to 1200.

I am 45, 5' 0" and need to lose 20-25 pounds.

Thanks
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

It is all based on what works for your body but you should really be netting your BMR or base rate metabolism. MFP sets everyone at the generic 1200 calories for a two pound loss a week whether you are 5' 1 or 6' and this is starving your body. :

Not true. I'm 5'2", and asked for the easy plan, which is something like a 0.5 pound weekly pound loss and I also got 1,200. It turned out to be too high. I assure you that 1100 to 1150 is not "starving [my] body."
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    Please help
    I calculated the TDEE using the website you said. My BMR is 1326 and combined with sedentary life style and then clicking on
    "Calculate BMR" ( Iguess this is a typo on the website?) it comes back with 1591. So that would mean 1091 calories. The mfp calculation comes to 1200.

I am 45, 5' 0" and need to lose 20-25 pounds.

Thanks

Be aware that BMR is an estimate and there are different formulae used to calculate it. Some sites provide different versions and explain the limitations or assumptions of each one. For example, one is best if you have a good idea of your body fat percentage. This is not an exact science, especially with the kind of free tools that are available on the web (not that they aren't better than nothing). But there is a lot of trial and error involved.
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    BRM: 1818
    TDEE: 2818

Does that mean I should be eating 2300 calories? That seems a LOT to me. I want to lose more than 1lb a week, at least now that I'm at my heaviest. Can I eat 2000cals and still be okay?

Yes. And if you don't feel well, eat a little more. Make sure you measure everything carefully. Food companies are allowed to underestimate the amount of calories in food by as much as 15% (or maybe it's 20%, I need to look it up.) You could do everything right and still be eating more than you thought. Calories burned estimates are often too high.
  • leighjam
    leighjam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did the math for my BRM and TDEE and the numbers seem REALLY WACKY
    I'm 6'1"
    Weight is 274
    BMR 2428.12
    Which makes me look at TDEE of 2914
    Subtracting 500 puts me at 2400 calories a day with the "sitting on my butt all day" exercise

Seems like a LOT am I crazy, my math is off or should I be eating more than my goal of 2000 calories a day?

I'm not starving and barely hungry at meal times (partially due to me thinking MUST LOOSE WEIGHT) and trying to eat GOOD things (avoiding prepared foods, and cooking more myself)

Every weekend I work which is EXTREMELY ACTIVE (i.e. hike 5 - 10 miles) so my overall net calories a week is really low.
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    @leighjam- if you are struggling to meet 2000 try incorparating calorie dense things like nuts. I would say try to eat atleast 2400... try to meet your macros too (fat, protein, carbs ect...) if you are not meeting those then you know what you need to incorporate more of. Just be cautious that if your body starts sending you warning signs of being too hungry (ex: pale skin, not being able to get through a workout that you have done a million times, hair loss ect...)
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump to read later when I have time