Can stress alone cause weight gain ?

Options
My brother passed away this week and it has been horribly sad, stressful etc.... I wasnt even eating alot of food but was up almost 4 pounds !!!!!!!!!!! what the heck ?

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My deepest condolences on the loss of your brother!

Stress can cause sodium and water retention which would likely account for the weight gain that you are experiencing.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes it can, I am in cosmetology school and have gained a little weight just from all the stress I have been under. I still stick to my calories, it's just the fact that I'm super stressed.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes it can, but right now, I'd suggest not worrying about it at all. Focus on mourning with your family. You can always come back to your weight loss later. Don't let the scale beat you up right now. It is not worth it.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • sandrarollins8100
    sandrarollins8100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m convinced stress can cause instant weight gain! A roofer came out to check a small leak on our covered patio. He found it & asked to go in our attic to check up there - great, until he stepped on a water pipe & broke it, flooded the bathroom & ceiling fell in. When the plumber came, the roofer went back in the attic & promptly fell through the kitchen ceiling! My nerves were shot and overnight my scale jumped up 3.5 lbs. I’m staying under my recommended calorie count, but the scale isn’t coming down! 😵‍💫
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I’m convinced stress can cause instant weight gain! A roofer came out to check a small leak on our covered patio. He found it & asked to go in our attic to check up there - great, until he stepped on a water pipe & broke it, flooded the bathroom & ceiling fell in. When the plumber came, the roofer went back in the attic & promptly fell through the kitchen ceiling! My nerves were shot and overnight my scale jumped up 3.5 lbs. I’m staying under my recommended calorie count, but the scale isn’t coming down! 😵‍💫

Stress increases cortisol levels (the "stress hormone") in your body and inflammation which leads to excess water retention. High cortisol levels also increase appetite. In and of itself, stress doesn't cause weight (fat) gain, though increased appetite can...otherwise it's water. You don't gain fat overnight, it's biologically impossible.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Also OP posted this in 2012.

Given it was about the loss of her brother, perhaps we should be posting in a new thread, doesnt seem right to piggyback on to this one.