Wanting to save my job...

Options
Good afternoon All:

A friend told me about this site a few weeks ago, and like most other things in my life, I procrastinated joining. I am really looking forward to the great, simple tools available to help see the progress of loosing those bothersome pounds. If I'm able to see progress (i.e. numbers, goals, etc), I'm much more motivated to stick to the plan.

I'm in the military so fitness is paramount, but I am currently failing in that area while other areas excel. It's time to take back some time for myself and get my body (and mind) to where it was and where it needs to be. I look forward also to working with y'all towards our individual goals. Good luck, everyone!

Respectfully,
~ Misty

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome Misty.

You will love all the information, support, motivation, and encouragement you could want on here. Don't forget about the 'Reports' section if you like to loo at charts and graphs. The food and fitness trackers are GREAT too.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Misty -

I understand where you are coming from..... I wear a military uniform as well.

So is your fitness test - 50% 1.5 mile run, 20% waist measurement w/ 29.5" for women regardless of age & height, 10% 1 min push-ups and 10% 1 min sit-ups.

If so, I REALLY know where you're coming from.

I just took my fitness test today. I knew my waist measurement would not give me high marks so I knew I had to run really really really fast. After my run, I nearly puked up my protein shake. Barely passed the test. Do I feel proud, hell no, I have to lose more around my waist for the new Jan standards.

And don't you just hate seeing those you really wonder how they passed the fitness test be promoted to the next rank!

Keep in touch -- perhaps we can motivate/inspire/encourage each other.

Barb
    147642.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ashleylmonk
    Options
    I just love your post and your quote
  • MistyLynne
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement - I'm planning to start tomorrow out with a nice 2mile jog with the dog. :o)

Barb - my PT test consists of a BCA measurement (since I have not passed the weigh-in portion since 2003) where they measure my hips, natural waist, and neck [add the hips + waist - neck, compare to height and it's suppose to give an accurate body mass index]. The second portion is a 12-minute elliptical trip (in lieu of the run), 2min push-up session, and 2min sit-up session. The past few years, I've consistently scored outstanding, but when I did the mock a few weeks ago, I was only satisfactory - due to the year of medical issues. I've never had issues with the physical portion of the test; it's always been the weight/measurement portion that stresses me out. :o( I'd love to continue to motivate/inspire each other.

~ Misty
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hi Misty! Your first step was admitting you want to lose weight :flowerforyou: I went from 189 pounds to 172.8 (I weigh myself every 15th of the month). I work for the Army/Civilian so don't salute me :laugh: I power walk 3 miles during my lunch hour (M/W/F), and I've added weights. Since we have a gym on post that is FREE, I do weights on Tuesdays (during lunch time, too) and I sit in the hot tub for 15 minutes to soothe my achy muscles. If you want to lose weight here are MY tips for you:

I KNOW you have restaurants on post and it's quick for ya'll to stop by for a quick bite to eat. No worries. Have your salad with NO dressing, or ask for a hamburger kid's/happy meal with NO cheese, and sub the french fries with apple dips, drink a diet Coke. When you go to subway ask for the chicken 6" sub, with NO dressing, on toasted wheat toast, NO cheese, and ask for all the fixings (including jalapenos), grab a bag of Baked Lays, and get one raisin cookie. If you go to the DFAC, go for the soup of the day and ask for a hot cup of water (to dilute the soup since it will be VERY salty), grab melba toast, your diet Coke, water, wheat bread, go for the fish/chicken (not fried), go for leafy green veggies, stay away from butter/margarine, and for dessert have jello, grab an apple/banana/orange (any fruit).

Drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for an HOUR (ANY cardio vascular exercise), your calorie intake should be 1,250, take your vitamins/supplements (I'm hoping you've seen the doc this year; making sure you're "fit" for PT), use extra virgin olive oil (this is yummy to dip wheat bread when you make your wheat spaghetti); speaking of "wheat" eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc., eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, eat yogurt, eat fish/chicken/turkey/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (ask for extra virgin olive oil @ restaurants/use at home), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, potato chips, etc), try eating Baked Lays, air popped popcorn, buy a pizza stone ($29.99) and you can create your own delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum! You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc). For dessert you can eat a skinny cow chocolate w/peanut butter ice cream sandwich....yummy!

Stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep. I learned from Oprah's Boot Camp you have to STOP eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down (as everything does when you're in a REM (rapid eye movement). So if PT is at 3:00 am, you have to stop eating 12:00 midnight.

Go to www.prevention.com. They have yummy reicpes and is another souce of website for motivation. Did you know that if you pay for your subscription to Prevention they give you a free pedometer? One should walk/step 10,000 steps daily. Check them out! They have a free website w/the magazine there in front of you in case you can't suscribe just yet.

Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all day. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Please, please, please weigh yourself "monthly". We women suffer from PMS, we retain water, mood swings, etc., two week before we mensturate. I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her :heart: ) you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly as alot of women in this site tend to do (weigh themselves daily/weekly and then get discouraged and give up on dieting/exercising).

Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following (check out the OR), one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Stay away from alcoholic drinks (includes wine). I know ya'll go to the Post Club to drink (off post, too). If you want to lose weight and have not, this is a sacrifice on your part by not drinking during the weekend.

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right (the first month WITHOUT cheating), you'll lose 5-6 pounds (mainly water retention weight) because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 4-5 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their :heart: for doing that!!!

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow I just retired from 28 years of Naval service and the good thing about the military is the PFT always kept me motivated so I didn't look bad in front of all the younger folks. I mostly would swim and jog and lift weights but my job was 24/7 so I rarely got military time to work so I would go into the gym at 0500 until I had to be at work that way I got my workout over before going into work. I rarely got lunch time either to PT.
    I loved the motivation of the military family so now I am on my own. Exercising at home. Remember you can always go see a dietician, and gym support staff to keep you on track for free.

Good luck and thanks for serving.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good intel. I know that feeling of bringing up whatever is in your gut at the end of a race just for the sake of time for the run. I switched to swimming the PFA the last 3 years in the Navy since the times have gotten easier to get an outstanding. Which by the way I taught myself to swim using the life guards at the base pool in my 30's and now I can perform all the strokes and swim the PFA with an outstanding. Before that I always would run the race. You can even bike or use the eliptical for your score now which for some folks has been a life saver. Good Luck :happy:
  • MistyLynne
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thank y'all!!!
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome home Misty.

I've tried costly diet clubs, self-help books, calorie counting (without the cool tools) all just to be dissappointed in the end. I've been at this for 3 months and am down 16 pounds from when I joined (actually down 27 from when I first started by own thing). This is a great website. As I said, the tools are really cool and helpful and are great for keeping you on track. So...welcome and have fun.
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Awesome advice! Thank y'all!!!

YW :wink:

Blessings!

Eva