BodyMedia Vs. Bodybugg

Options
I'm currently researching bodymedia and really like it because it has everything the bodybugg has but less expensive. Anyone have one or the other and what are your thoughts?

Replies

• thelandofwin
    Options
    I haven't tried BodyBugg, but I can say that BodyMedia is a pain the *** to use compared to fitbit (different devices I know). I ended up going with a HRM. The biggest issue I have with BodyMedia is that you have to get a subscription service to see the data. The website is horrific and difficult to use. The device is fine, and I have an app on my phone to look at the data, but it always loses the bluetooth connection so I have to reset the sync before I can see the results. I prefer using Fitbit and a HRM for a daily count of activity levels.
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Link, and I absolutely LOVE it! It connects easily with my Android phone, it can tell you how effecient your sleep is, and can also report back moderate and vigorous activity. I find the website quite intuitive, and not difficult to use at all. I got mine in October, and it has helped me a lot!
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Link, and I absolutely LOVE it! It connects easily with my Android phone, it can tell you how effecient your sleep is, and can also report back moderate and vigorous activity. I find the website quite intuitive, and not difficult to use at all. I got mine in October, and it has helped me a lot!

That's the one I'm looking into getting!!! I'm glad to hear you love it. That helps!!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    i was thinking about BodyMedia too... Would love to hear more feedback on this

BodyMedia vs Fitbit vs Bodybugg.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media and love it. I don't have any problems with the website. It is very easy to use as far as I am concerned. The food database sucks, but I log my food here so that's fine by me.
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    Everyone who doesn't have a problem with the website. Are you using the original BodyMedia website or the integrated Jillian Michaels 360 program? I'm using the latter and it has been a royal pain in the butt to navigate around. Even finding my dashboard is a pain and I'm a fairly savvy tech user.
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    i was thinking about BodyMedia too... Would love to hear more feedback on this

BodyMedia vs Fitbit vs Bodybugg.

For a present, I got both the Fitbit and BodyMedia device. I wore both of them for a couple of days nonstop. I found that in comparision to Fitbit, it was difficult to see the benefits of BodyMedia. There was considerable overlap in the type of information that was reported. Both look at sleep efficiency (although bodymedia figures out your sleep time automatically) and tell you the amount of calories that have been burned. Fitbit tells you how many steps and floors you've climbed which is very motivating. Bodymedia just breaks it down by types of activity levels.

FitBit Pros:
    Syncs with MFP and auto-updates your exercise calories through wireless syncing
    Small and easily carried around. It looks like a USB stick
    Auto-syncs wirelessly when in range of the USB device
    Very easy to see data, you just log into the fitbit website and have easy access to your dashboard

Cons:
    Not accurate for activities that aren't step based (biking for example)
    Not quite as accurate when compared to a HRM
    Can be too addictive for obsessive people who like to compete with themselves on the number of steps or floors climbed
    You have to add the times that you went to bed and got up in the morning manually on the website

BodyMedia Pros:
    Automatically figures out your sleeping patterns
    Breaks activity level down by vigorous, moderate, and light based on minutes
    Has a plug in on the website that syncs with your Garmin HRM

Cons:
    Large and bulky arm band
    Doesn't accurately record calories and only seems to record vigorous activities as running. Does not accurately record activity level such as tennis
    Subscription based meaning the only way you can see your data is by paying 6.00-24.00 a month
    Jillian Michaels website is incredibly difficult to use
    Manual syncing. You have to plug in your device into your USB port to get data uploaded
    Doesn't integrate with MFP which means you have to track your calories burned on a separate website
    Doesn't maintain bluetooth connection with the iPhone so when you want to see your progress on the iPhone app, you have to reset the connection and resync each time
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i have the body media fit core ( uses the USB instead of the wireless to sync). i also have the fitbit. i thought i was going to prefer the fitbit to the BMF, but i don't . i prefer the BMF.

i wear it 24/7 minus showers. it always syncs, where my fitbit would just NOT sync at times! no matter what i did. sure you can see it all the time, but most people don't comment on it or they simply ask what it is.

i record my food at MFP, and plug the BMF in at night and see how many calories it says i burned that day. if i am going to work out more than walking/ running, i use my HRM. i wish that there was a way to combine the HRM with the BMF!!! that would be my IDEAL! but, i am not interested in wearing a chest strap 24/7 :-)