PLEASE HELP - Plantar Fascitis and cardio!!

Options
Hi All,

I have had this for months and only recently got diagnoised ( thinking it would go away!) I have been strapping my foot for this, using my orthodics and taking voltran to help ease it, but I also am suffering pain under my little toe and down the outside of the same foot.
So basically when I go walking - thinking "oh it feels nnot to bad today" (like great your heart rate up walking) within 2 mins I'm in a fair bit of pain and end up cutting my walk short and hobbling home!!!!
I think I have been walking differently because of the pain. In saying this I have been to the Dr's, podiatrist and am getting an xray done. But I CAN"T really excersice!!! and I NEED to!!!
I have a crosstrainer at home which is OK but the same foot gets badly strained up the side of my ankle/ up my calf and I have to stop.
I'm not really looking to spend more money on equpiment walking/ running was free and great to get outside. Does anyone else have or had this and does anyone have any suggestions.
I was also doing some pilates which if OK for toning ect but I need to sweat to drop this weight?? Any help would be great :-)
I have heard swimming is good - but it's currently coming into winter ( I'm in Brissie Aust.) and don't have access to a heated pool.
Thanks
Sally

Replies

• w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    When I had it, I walked on my treadmill (slowly and leaning forward with my elbows propped on the console). It made my foot feel better in just a couple of days, and within a couple of weeks all of the symptoms were gone. Admittedly I had a mild case, but I had been trying various things for a couple of months at that point. It seemed to help to stretch everything out and soon I was able to walk faster and for longer periods of time.
  • ldritc
    ldritc Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been dealing with a much more minor version of this. I went to a running store and they recommended some shoe inserts for me. "powerstep pinnacle". In the store- they were $44, but on ebay, I got a second pair for 20. They also told me to stand away from the wall and do push ups 5 times a day keeping my heels on the floor to stretch the calf muscles more. I also stretch my calves whenever I am on stairs. Just those minor changes helped me significantly. For the first couple of weeks, I wore the inserts non stop. Hope that helps, at least a little bit. Also, the Runners World web site has extensive info on this condition.

Lisa
  • Davincimel
    Davincimel Posts: 3
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis and I know how debillitating it can be. I started the cardio with cycling and didn't have a problem at all. go out, do some hills and you do get the sweat up in a way that doesn't significantly hurt your foot. you could start out by borrowing / hiring a bike and seeing how you take to it? then pick up a cheap one on ebay? my pain has eased with time, i massage the foot most evenings using a tennis ball and rolling it, seams to stretch it a bit and makes it easier for me to walk further. I now have no probs walking my dog for an hour.
  • Mamasutra
    Mamasutra Posts: 9
    Options
    Perhaps a soft shoe insert of some kind (like memory foam) would help you until your plantar's is cleared up. Even some soft slippers like Dearfoam might work for in the house cardio. Swimming is the only cardio I can think of that has no impact on your feet. I have a bad hip, lower back pain, and sciatica but, my elliptical machine works well for me because it's low impact since your foot never leaves the pedals. Best of luck to you!
  • LittleLightShine
    LittleLightShine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had terrible plantar fascitis after wearing flats and walking all over Europe. Three things I did: 1) Bought these shoes and wore them as much as possible. ASICS GEL-Tech Walker Neo™ 2 W 2) My trainer used a thumper massager on my heals. There is little circulation in the heals and the thumper improved the blood flow to help the healing. I was always pain free for hours after the thumper. 3) Reflexology. Found a good place and this also helped with blood flow and relieved pain.

It took about six months for mine to go away but it did and I am pain free!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Couple exercises that helped me ~

Sit on the floor with both legs extended. Use a towel or band and stretch across bottom part of toes. Gently pull the towel towards you as you stretch out bottom of foot.

Place handtowel on floors and scrunch it up the best that you can using your toes.

Like others have said, a good insole will help with that as well.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. What has helped the most was wearing a night splint to keep the plantar facia stretched all night. That way it heals in a stretched position and doesn't get restrained every morning.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    OMG. I get it. I have it too along with bone spurs in both heals. Stretching is the key along with really good shoes. I also got cordazone shots in both heals. It helps a lot. Good luck with your journey.
  • shartso
    shartso Posts: 12
    Options
    I too used the splint at night and it helped tremendously. I also was fitted for inserts and used a frozen plastic water/pop bottle to roll under my foot. I wish you the best in your quest for success!!
  • denisekh88
    denisekh88 Posts: 53
    Options
    An easy stretch I do for mine is to freeze a bottle of water 3/4s full and roll my foot across it...I also roll it across my calf...it makes it feel so much better...good luck!
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had this pretty bad about 10 years ago and tried all the typical things to no avail, but what finally worked fpr me was a thing they gave me made of straps and velcro that I put on my feet where you bend your foot back, pull up on straps that support your arch and velcro them to the sides of the part that goes around the ankle. This keeps your foot from spreading out and holds the arch up, keeping the pressure off so it can heal. Whatever treatment you do, I wouldn't do extensive walking until it heals up, or you will just keep re-injuring them.

Until they heal, you can do stuff like cycling/exercise bike. I saw where one person was able to use the stepper machine without it causing problems. Once the inflammation subsides, before that even, do the stretching exercises (basically calf/achilles tendon stretches) every day to keep it from happening again. I always do them and it works.
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I get them pretty badly myself. I use water aerobics, swimming and spinning during severe flare ups. I also try t use a rubber band and do some resistance training.

I wish you luck.
  • mdianne58
    mdianne58 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have also dealt with this. I work in a hospital and am on my feet a lot.
    The best thing I found was a shoe called MBT. They r pricey but the best investment I ever made.
    When u walk all your weight is on the middle of your foot. Your heel never touches the ground. They take a little getting used to as they rock, but a few seconds and your good to go.
    My feet no longer hurt, even in heels or flip flops.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You do not need to sweat to lose weight. I lost over 75 lbs in 6 months by following my prescribed eating plan and not cheating. You do NOT lose weight by exercising. Exercise tones and it allows you to eat more calories.

If you are relying on exercise to lose the weight you will not succeed. You must change your diet first.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I got plantar fasciitis once - I was told it was caused by walking on concrete too much. (it came on after a 10 mile sponsored walk through London, all on concrete, and I walked everywhere when I lived in the UK, mainly on concrete, though not usually 10 miles in one go)

I stayed off my feet while it healed, (I struggled to even walk short distances the pain was that bad) I was less exercise focused then so resting wasn't really an issue. But based on what I know, keeping on running (especially on concrete) could be making it worse, so maybe you could try cycling or something else that doesn't have the impact on the soles of your feet? Or maybe get some shoes with better cushioning in the heels and stick to running on grass for a while, if that's possible where you live.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have it pretty bad, been about 6 months for me, (maybe more) night splint, 150 dollar new balance shoes.. (that I can't even wear!), walking cast thingy.. It always gets just well enough for me to think I can do something then BAM.. severe pain again. I'm going to make a doctors appt and request surgery. I'd rather go through the single pain of healing correctly once than years of this to only end up needing surgery anyways.

I hope yours isnt this severe.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering for 8 months now. It is a nightmare. I had shots have custom inserts and nothing is working. I did the exercises for a while nothing. I have the boot but can't seem to sleep with it on. It is heavy and disturbs me. I live on advils and try to workout first thing in the morning before it hurts to much. I am at the end of my rope. I hate swimming so it's not for me.