fearing the unknown

Options
Hello everyone out there,
I have been reading on how to help myself for the last few months. I have to first admit that I am a perfectionist and very self motivating, so when i ask for help of any kind, it's because I have come to the conclusion that i am really no longer able to really help myself.
Today I came across the Eat More to weigh less article and really agree with everything is says, but like many of the people who responded to it, I am having a hard time accepting that this is what I ultimately have to do in order to lose weight.
This is my situation....
I started this weight loss journey about 5 weeks ago, vowing to myself (and sticking to it) that I would work out as hard as I can and eat properly. I work out 5 days a week doing various Jillian Michaels DVDs and taking my dog for long walks during the day.
In the beginning, I started doing Jillian's Extream Shed and Shred, and found that after a few weeks I had gained a few pounds ( starting at 158). Feeling a little discouraged, i decided to truck on and try doing some more cardio based workouts. I started doing more of her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD.
After this week (being week 5) I have gained 2 pounds as well as an inch in my bust, waist and hips.
I had a complete emotional breakdown the other day, and will probably be having another one shortly because I am so discouraged by the results, or lack there of in comparison to all my efforts.
I am asking for any help. any at all.
I have a job that does not allow me to eat often, and I find that I have a hard time reaching my calories for the day without feeling like I have over eaten.
Has anyone else had this problem? Please help me. :(

Replies

• Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging all of your food? If so, you should make your diary public so people can get a better idea of what you're eating. :)
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Read are you training for a weight or a look - article topic I posted on page

This might help! :)
  • maybe its water weight or sodum levels I dont think its propoer weight or is it time for TOM im really not good with this kind of stuff but its what ive read on the forms when others have commented so hope it helps.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I bumped it to page 1 for you
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Do you know your BMR and TDEE?

Note that the TDEE MFP gives you does not factor in exercise, just daily activity. Other sites will give you TDEE based on your exercise.

Make sure you are eating at least your BMR and eat the calories MFP tells you to or take your TDEE with exercise factored in and eat about 10-20% less. Adjust after a few weeks if it isn't working (as you are doing now). Hope that makes sense.
  • jessper1572
    jessper1572 Posts: 16
    Options
    I can understand where you are coming from when I first started doing this I hardly lost anything then I lost a little and since I have stuck it out I have seen the scale go down more and yes some inches have come off and some inches have gone on due to muscle build up:) I currently go to the gym 6 days a week. I do cardio 3 days and I do weight training 3 days....just stick to it, your body has to have time to adjust and gaining is normal because you are building muscle and also your muscles will retain water for a little bit! as for the not being able to eat at your job I was in a similar situation and I got around some of that by using protien powder or maybe you can prepack some fruit or veggies then you have something to snack on when you can ,also nuts like almonds or pistachios:) here is a quote that also helped me at first it takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing,8 weeks for your friends to notice,and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. give it 12 weeks don't quit!! sorry it is long I hope it helps though and feel free to add me:)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    I bumped it to page 1 for you

I would post the link but I can't as I'm on my mobile atm
  • melpmusic
    melpmusic Posts: 11
    Options
    i found the article, but i couldn't read it. It had the word strong written all over it. Weird.
    Thanks for trying though. :(
  • melpmusic
    Options
    Im not sure what BMR and TDEE are or even stand for??
  • melpmusic
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate it.
    I don't plan on quitting, because regardless if I am seeing the results I am feeling better knowing that I am or will be doing good things for my body.
    I am not sure how to open up my diary to the public....do you know how to do that?
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Go to "home" and look for "settings" below the main tabs. Click on it, then "diary settings" and scroll down to find the bit where you select who can see your diaries. If you choose "public" then anyone can see them and may be able to help with an opinion.

Sorry you're not losing like you hoped, I hope someone can give you some advice or tips.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. I'm sorry you're freaking out about it. Try to relax. It's a journey, and there are bumps in the road. it WILL get better. I promise. Hang tough.

It's hard to give advice though, without knowing a whole lot more. A few generic suggestions :

Are you eating ENOUGH?
    Are you logging accurately?
    Are you honest with your portions?
    Is that time of the month approaching?
    Are you sleeping?
    Are you getting enough fiber & water?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what BMR and TDEE are or even stand for??

BMR is basal metabolic rate, the amount they would feed you if you were in a coma.
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure or the amount you need to maintain your weight at your current activity level. This usually includes exercise although as I mentioned MFP's value does not.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can find a million places to figure it out online based on your age, height and weight, including the link above.

MFP calculated it for you when you entered your activity level (sedentery, lightly active, etc) and then subtracted a deficit based on how fast you said you wanted to lose (1 lb per week, etc).

If you're not meeting your calorie goals MFP has set and not losing weight, you might not be eating enough because you are creating too large a deficit. A lot depends on your weight and how much you have to lose in the first place, so of you have a lot to lose this might be ok for awhile.

Another way to try it is to eat at 10-20% less than your TDEE but above your BMR. This will ensure you are meeting your metabolic needs while still creating a deficit because eating at anything under your TDEE, if calculated correctly, should lead to weight loss.