What yummy foods have protein?

Options
Looking at my breakdown over my time here, I have a lot of carbohydrates and barely any protein.

The problem is, I'm not a huge fan of meat, which I know is what a lot of people get their protein from. What are some yummy things that I can get my protein from? I am quite a picky eater, but I have hope that I'll like something you guys mention!

Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Its a pity you don't like meat because beef, chicken, and tuna have great amounts of it, but tofu is pretty high too I believe.. then there's eggs, and egg whites, milk is good , cottage cheeses, yoghurt, just Google it, these plenty of things, though meat will give you the highest, maybe a protein shake would be a better alternative for you.
  • collarbonesfor2011
    Options
    Its a pity you don't like meat because beef, chicken, and tuna have great amounts of it, but tofu is pretty high too I believe.. then there's eggs, and egg whites, milk is good , cottage cheeses, yoghurt, just Google it, these plenty of things, though meat will give you the highest, maybe a protein shake would be a better alternative for you.

I do eat chicken, but I'm not sure what exact kind of chicken... grilled? No skin? I'm not exactly a foodie, haha.

Ohh, eggs sound like a good one! I've been trying to get into yoghurt lately, so let's hope that sticks.

Thank you!
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Before MFP, I was eating about 5% protein a day. I've discovered protein powders and its been much easier. My favorite is max muscle vanilla with various berries and milk smoothie. I also add it to oatmeal and homemade granola. Greek yogurt and quinoa are my other good sources. I've gotten used to All egg whites in a carton so not such a breakfast hassle to have egg whites.
  • collarbonesfor2011
    Options
    I hear ya. Before MFP, I was eating about 5% protein a day. I've discovered protein powders and its been much easier. My favorite is max muscle vanilla with various berries and milk smoothie. I also add it to oatmeal and homemade granola. Greek yogurt and quinoa are my other good sources. I've gotten used to All egg whites in a carton so not such a breakfast hassle to have egg whites.

I think I'm going to try and eat eggs more often, definitely.

Oh, my mom uses BeneFiber for her fiber, so I guess I could do the same for protein. I just kind of want to be able to get it in my food, so that I'm not reliant, you know?

I've heard Greek yoghurt is great! I might have to try it out :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I do eat chicken, but I'm not sure what exact kind of chicken... grilled? No skin? I'm not exactly a foodie, haha.

Ohh, eggs sound like a good one! I've been trying to get into yoghurt lately, so let's hope that sticks.

Thank you!

Skinless chicken breast will be the leanest, you can do just about anything with it, bake it, stir-fry it, poach it...., I like to spray it with a little olive oil and sprinkle on spices and just bake it in a mod hot oven for about 45 min to an hour.
  • collarbonesfor2011
    Options

Thank you!

Skinless chicken breast will be the leanest, you can do just about anything with it, bake it, stir-fry it, poach it...., I like to spray it with a little olive oil and sprinkle on spices and just bake it in a mod hot oven for about 45 min to an hour.

Sounds delicious! Definitely going to try that one out. Thank you so much :)
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Chicken breast white meat is the leanest, but there's not a whole lot of difference between that and the rest of the bird so any part should be okay for you to eat. Skip the skin because that adds a lot of fat (unless you're fond of it, in which case go right ahead!) It doesn't really matter how you cook your meat, just be sure to include any cooking fats you use to your diary.

Greek yogurt is pretty high protein. So are oats, eggs, I think... broccoli? Or peas. I can't remember. Also beans! Cheeses as well. Pretty much any kind of dairy. I recommend skim milk and cottage cheese! But I know a lot of people don't like cottage cheese so if you're not into that I understand haha.
  • jgodbier
    jgodbier Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try a good quality protein shake with low carbs, you can have that between meals as a snack. it boosts your protein intake for the day, and doesn't spike you insulin levels too high.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, edamame, eggs.. you can even get protein powder and add it to oatmeal or something :)
  • rumpusparable
    rumpusparable Posts: 160
    Options
    TVP can be made on it's own with whatever type of broth you like. It's about 12g protein per 1/4cup.

Vegan Dream jerkies are good and portable. 13g protein per 1oz package.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bacon