what o do with strawberries

Options
leomom72
leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
yesterday we bought around 5 lbs of local strawberries, and i want to use them all before they go bad. what are your favorite ways to use strawberries, and can you post the recipes as well ? thanks i look forward to some ideas:happy:

Replies

• vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, ice and Greek yogurt in the blender for a smoothie!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, ice and Greek yogurt in the blender for a smoothie!

i use regular yogurt and put pineapple and a splash of oj too:love:
  • runuma
    runuma Posts: 6
    Options
    I just heard a new tip, make up a rinse of 1 Part vinegar to 10 parts Vinegar. Gently swirl the berries around the rinse and scoop them out, drain and air dry well, pack loosely in paper towel lined containers and refrigerate, though they will lose some flavor so I only refrigerate what I'm going to store, what I can eat in. The first two days gets spaced out on paper towels.

My two favorite quickies are sour cream dip, 2 tbsp sour cream, one tsp brown sugar, a few grains kosher salt,, a dash of vanilla. That is enough dip for me and the kids, it's a very nice dessert.

Fondue is insanely easy, in a Pyrex glass measuring cup melt 1tbsp of butter, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 2 oz milk for 40 seconds in a microwave. Add half cup toll house or dark chocolate morsels. Heat for 40 more seconds, stir, reheat again, continue until chocolate is melted and smooth. Add a dash of vanilla, a few grains of salt, and I like half an ounce of sherry. Thin with milk to desired consistency.

That sauce goes great on chocolate shortcake, or even regular strawberry shortcake.

Really, if they are peak berries, I eat them fresh before I can do anything else with them. :)
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Cut the tops off and lay on a cookie sheet to flash freeze. Then bag up and use for smoothies.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Use them in salads, for example, mixed greens with grilled chicken, strawberries, feta cheese and almonds with a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

I also like to toast a bagel thin and spread on 1 Tbsp of peanut butter and then a layer of sliced strawberries. Yum.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I love sliced strawberries in my cereal (Kashi go lean, or my new favorite, Fiber One honey squares).

Edited to add: you can probably dice them and use them in the banana protein pancake recipe floating around, too!
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    vanilla greek yogurt mixed with strawberries, blueberries and granola. yum.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/gXX6Z-k3TZo

lol. BUT you can make yummy little mini cakes with them, OR, buy some cream cheese and blend them together to make a nice bagel spread. Or you can use them to make a smoothie, or in cereal...I loooove strawberries.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/stuffed-strawberries/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=strawberries&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • VTMudRunner
    VTMudRunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sliced strawberries with chopped mint over vanilla greek frozen yogurt.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a low-cal recipe, but I cut them up and soak them overnight in 1 cup of hot water and 1/2 cup of sugar. Then, I use the syrup on shortcake dessert shells and top with Cool whip. Makes a yummy fast dessert!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Also, strawberries go bad very quickly. I would recommend that you freeze whatever you won't be using right away. They could spoil in days.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Also, strawberries go bad very quickly. I would recommend that you freeze whatever you won't be using right away. They could spoil in days.

Yes, this! I just cut the stems off a bunch and put in the freezer for a smoothie.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    1. open mouth
    2. insert strawberries
    3. open and close mouth vigorously
    4. swallow
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You can also hull them and then freeze them. That way you can enjoy them longer without feeling the need to eat them up before they spoil.

ETA - OOPS....didnt see someone posted the same thing. Sorry. :)
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    ETON MESS!!!!

4707715487_ccb8b217cd.jpg
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Drizzled with balsamic vinegar
    Blended with greek yogurt
    Dipped in truvia/stevia
    Topped with some fat free whipped cream
    In a whole wheat crepe with a couple dark chocolate chips
    With a side of cottage cheese
    Dipped in a tablespoon of nutella
    Cut up over Special K or another cereal
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Drizzled with balsamic vinegar
    Blended with greek yogurt
    Dipped in truvia/stevia
    Topped with some fat free whipped cream
    In a whole wheat crepe with a couple dark chocolate chips
    With a side of cottage cheese
    Dipped in a tablespoon of nutella
    Cut up over Special K or another cereal

While reading this...I read it as an entire recipe...and was like "Wait...what? WHY?!" lol took me a minute to realize they were separate suggestions ><!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I remember reading somewhere on this site that if you wash your strawberries in apple cider vinegar, then they will keep longer. I haven't tried it though.
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Spinich Strawberry Salad! It sounds strange, buts tastes so yummy. Microwave a few slices of bacon on a paper towel and crumble. Add to a bag of spinich with sliced strawberries. Toss. Take a few strawberries and blend with a splash of vinagar to make a dressing. I think some people add sliced almonds too.

I also love to make my own strawberry jelly/jam and syrup. Buy a pack of pectin and it will have the directions for jelly/jam in the box. To make syrup do the same thing, just add 1/3 of the pectin. Can it or freeze it in portion sized baggies. You can also make it with less sugar or splenda, stevia, etc, so it's healthier and less calories then store bought.