I KEEP slipping up by dinner time HELP!!!

Options
I start each day out with " ok Im going to do this" but by dinner time, I feel Ive failed and then my confidence is shot and so is the day so I just give up. HELP!!

Replies

• maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried breaking up your total calories per day into the number of meals you plan to have each day including snacks? I plan my breakfast lunch and dinner as I'm eating breakfast and pack up two snacks and my lunch to carry to work w me. I don't eat meals I don't make myself. And my snacks are always 100 calories ish. Try planning your day out in advance so you don't fall victim to the oops factor. Good luck, and be patient.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Have you tried breaking up your total calories per day into the number of meals you plan to have each day including snacks? I plan my breakfast lunch and dinner as I'm eating breakfast and pack up two snacks and my lunch to carry to work w me. I don't eat meals I don't make myself. And my snacks are always 100 calories ish. Try planning your day out in advance so you don't fall victim to the oops factor. Good luck, and be patient.

This. Plan it out and stick to what you've planned.

Also keep in mind that if you exercise you can eat more.

Plus make sure that the deficit you've picked for yourself is the proper one for your body and how much you want to lose.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • HolllyBot
    HolllyBot Posts: 33
    Options
    Maybe eat allow yourself to eat more? It's kind of hard to tell, we can't see your diary. Be glad to give some tips though, feel free to add me!
  • SnSweet
    SnSweet Posts: 3
    Options
    Try to only eat when you are hungry. Pay attention to your belly (body) if your tummy is not subtly rumbling don't even consider eating. Once it starts to rumble, start to contemplate what you have set aside to eat or what you plan to eat. Try to add a piece of fruit to every meal for fiber and as a filler. Eat it first then the rest. As you get stronger, start to stop eating by paying attention to your tummy, am I still hungry or is my tummy o.k.? Pay attention to your body. Hope this helps!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It would help to be able to see your food log. But, here goes:

-How many calories is your goal? Are you eating back exercise calories? (Do! You earned them and it will help). Maybe you need to lower your goal to 1/2 pound lost per week for a while and get yourself into the habit before jumping to a higher loss goal.

-What do you snack on? Snacks can be a good way to fend off hunger, but it's easy to go overboard. Lowfat yogurt, a granola bar, or a boiled egg are all good choices (they have about the same calories). Or fruit or veggies. I love munching on celery, cauliflower, and red bell peppers with salsa or even a bit of ranch dressing (measure out 1T, that's only about 70 cal). A handful of nuts has a satisfying crunch and are good for you if they are dry & unsalted (not the canned kind) but measure your servings!

-Do you eat breakfast? While I don't subscribe to the whole "jump start your metabolism" theory, I know that on days when I miss breakfast I am much hungrier later and go overboard. Something sensible - a couple of eggs, or whole grain cereal (I love Cheerios or Bite-Size frosted mini wheats), or instant oatmeal or creamy wheat.

-What do you drink? I would avoid drinking calories as much as possible. Cut out soda and alcohol except for the occasional treat. Limit juice to 6 oz a day. Go with skim milk, and have only 8 oz at a time (and only 2-3 a day). Gatorade and other similar drinks are totally unnecessary unless you are working out heavily for over an hour. Same with protein drinks, in general (lots of them have extra sugar anyway).

-When you want to eat, stop and ask yourself if you're really hungry or if it's something else. Identify your triggers (I tend to eat when I'm nervous or upset, if other people are eating, or when I'm studying). Have a glass of water first - sometimes thirst disguises itself as cravings for sweets. Try chewing gum.

It's a process of changing your habits. I like to eat a lot in the afternoon & evening, so I have had to find ways to distract myself. I also have lighter breakfasts and lunches so that the evening snacking is possible within my calorie range. YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • mroot87
    mroot87 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips and encouragement :) this website is awesome!! I just started and have like 3 days in my food log, but how do i open it like make it public?
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I can't see you food diary so it is tough to give you advice. Are you eating enough protein, do you eat every few hours, like fruit or veggies, etc? If you allow us to see diary, we might be able to give you ideas, but don't quit!!!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with planning. I do the same thing and that way I KNOW just how many calories I am going to use and if I have any left over. One thing I like about MFP is that you can put all the food you are going to eat ahead of time if you want. I used to HATE writing down my food intake by hand so much so that I rarely did it. Now its no problem at all.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I plan the next days meals before going to bed and as I go through the day I change as needed for example if I don't eat something because I was full or not hungry I use that later for another meal, or sometimes I combine my snacks with my meals if I don't get a chance to eat them when I normally should, also I leave any junk food off until the end of the day, I have to eat the good stuff before I can add the junk, like cookies etc. We can be our own worst enemies so planning helps us give a line to follow and less room to screw up. Good luck you can do this!!
  • ilovesmak
    ilovesmak Posts: 9
    Options
    This journey is a process, not only physically, but mentally. Try to remind yourself that you are eating less now than you did before the journey started. Eventually you will get the calories down. I am currently seeing a doctor that helps with weight loss before people have gastric bypass surgery - I'm not a candidate for the surgery, but have fatty liver disease. She's given me some tips that I'm trying to share with others. She told me to push for closer to 1200, but definitlely don't go over 1500. Really helps in the mental department - don't feel like I'm a "failure" if I go over the 1200 calorie mark for one day, as long as I stayed under 1500, and continually aim for 1200 all other days. And given how I use to eat, I'm still eating a lot less calories at 1500!
  • micandme
    micandme Posts: 7
    Options
    It would help to be able to see your food log. But, here goes:

-How many calories is your goal? Are you eating back exercise calories? (Do! You earned them and it will help). Maybe you need to lower your goal to 1/2 pound lost per week for a while and get yourself into the habit before jumping to a higher loss goal.

-What do you snack on? Snacks can be a good way to fend off hunger, but it's easy to go overboard. Lowfat yogurt, a granola bar, or a boiled egg are all good choices (they have about the same calories). Or fruit or veggies. I love munching on celery, cauliflower, and red bell peppers with salsa or even a bit of ranch dressing (measure out 1T, that's only about 70 cal). A handful of nuts has a satisfying crunch and are good for you if they are dry & unsalted (not the canned kind) but measure your servings!

-Do you eat breakfast? While I don't subscribe to the whole "jump start your metabolism" theory, I know that on days when I miss breakfast I am much hungrier later and go overboard. Something sensible - a couple of eggs, or whole grain cereal (I love Cheerios or Bite-Size frosted mini wheats), or instant oatmeal or creamy wheat.

-What do you drink? I would avoid drinking calories as much as possible. Cut out soda and alcohol except for the occasional treat. Limit juice to 6 oz a day. Go with skim milk, and have only 8 oz at a time (and only 2-3 a day). Gatorade and other similar drinks are totally unnecessary unless you are working out heavily for over an hour. Same with protein drinks, in general (lots of them have extra sugar anyway).

-When you want to eat, stop and ask yourself if you're really hungry or if it's something else. Identify your triggers (I tend to eat when I'm nervous or upset, if other people are eating, or when I'm studying). Have a glass of water first - sometimes thirst disguises itself as cravings for sweets. Try chewing gum.

It's a process of changing your habits. I like to eat a lot in the afternoon & evening, so I have had to find ways to distract myself. I also have lighter breakfasts and lunches so that the evening snacking is possible within my calorie range. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

I appreciate this... lots of good advice. I have problems with my blood sugar dropping, and that's when I'm in bad shape and likely to frantically eat everything in sight. I have to be very careful catch it before I'm shaky and starving. And to remember that I don't HAVE to eat everything in sight... it takes a while for the blood sugar to start to go back up and if I just have a small snack, sit down with a glass of water and wait, I'll feel better soon. Without having to mess up my entire day of calories!

And just drinking water saves calories AND money!

I try to save a really yummy snack for after supper... even a york peppermint patty ice cream bar. :) Then I know if I can make it through supper, I have a really good reward waiting. :)

Hang in there, everyone!
  • ElizaGeorge
    ElizaGeorge Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't eat something that was so good for you earlier in the day does not mean you should give up! Make up for it by having a delicious, healthy dinner! A couple of times this week, even though my meals fit within my calories, I could have definitely made better choices. I didn't give up! I ate better for the rest of the day and made sure to exercise! I still lost 2 lbs ;) It's all about getting used to portion sizes and filling up on low calorie, healthy foods (fruits and veggies). Good luck and message me if you need any help!
  • maryaroy32
    maryaroy32 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My friends tell me I've made this a full time job. But it's really not. I have a cabinet full of portion sized snacks, Like pretzels, baked chips, sugar free cookies, nuts, u name it. I buy salad goods on Saturdays and make them all up on Sunday for grab and go ease through the week. I have perfected the 57 calorie salad, don't know why restaurants can't do that. I bake an entire tray of chicken breasts on the weekends and cut it up in to bites to make stir fries w during the week, I scan the grocery shelves reading everything which btw i gotta say if the box clains its healthy weight blah blah w/e bank on it being horribly over priced and not the best choice for ones precious calories.

The other day at work a guy in the canteen was examining his apple and says I wonder how many calories an apple has. I looked at it for a minute and said it looks about 89. He looked it up and says hmm how do u know that? This food diary stuff is hard at first but trust me it becomes no brainer when u plan. I eat breakfast Btn 6-8 depending on the day of the week, snack at 10 & 3, lunch Btn 12-12:30 and dinner when I finally get to eat. Traffic in Orlando is a bear. Lol. Basically I have programmed my body to know that I don't need to store anything. You can do this too. It's easy!
  • Ripcode
    Ripcode Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Will giving up get you to your goal?
  • fernanda78
    fernanda78 Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok..I was the same way. I work all day (mostly sitting) and not ate much through out the day. Basically coffee all day and work thru lunch and EAT at night. Drank soda and no water. So here's my tip.... green tea, yogurt, bananas and oranges help get rid off belly fat. First I started A 1200 calorie daily count.

Start off with a banana/yogurt in the morning.
    ***also...drink a glass of water before any meal or snack. Helps lose weight and tricks ur mind and stomach.
    Through out the day..eat an orange as a snack. Sometimes peanuts.

Then for lunch..be creative. Try to eat the most (but not over 400 calories)
    Because ur body is moving more during this time) moderately but moving

I take 30 minutes of my lunch to jog up and down stairs(even walking). Which creates more calories to play with for dinner

At dinner..u can have anything u want as long as I don't exceed ur daily calorie goal.
    I'm new at this but I've lost 32lbs in 1month without even really noticing.
  • CarrieEly
    CarrieEly Posts: 8
    Options
    Are you making sure you are eating enough during the day? If you get too hungry then it will be harder to stick to the calories at night. Also make sure you are getting enough protein that will help keep your full longer.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'll make a suggestion that you can take or reject. But you're describing hunger. And if you eat lots of protein and more good fats, less carbs, you won't be as hungry throughout the day. There's a decent book called The Low Glycemic Diet that you can get on Amazon or wherever you shop for books, maybe even the library. It has all the main details. I try to stay around 40/30/30 and I just don't get hungry between meals and really enjoy what I do eat. You might give it a shot. Nothing to lose --- but weight.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I plan a mouthwatering dinner every night so i have something to look forward to..
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Click 'My Home' Tab. Click 'Settings" Tab.
    Scroll down and you will see the topic for how you want your MFP to be viewed(private, public, friends, etc)

I started 7 weeks ago. To lose weight along with exercising, I found my body needed almost-balanced 3 calorie meals, and 2-3 small snacks depending on my exercise. Before I preferred more food later in the day. Now that I am exercising and eating well my metabolism says no to that pattern and I do not lose weight.

*Plan out your meals and snacks as everyone suggests. It is a little more time consuming and work in the beginning. However, after awhile you will get the hang of it and planning will become a natural habit.
    Our metabolisms are different but everyone needs to spread their calories out in some fashion. Planning is an important tool of weight loss.

We need the fuel so we can burn our fat and not our muscle. Try 40% Protein, 40% Carbohydrates, 20% Fat and 12 glasses of water, or some of the suggested books on the post and board.

Give yourself one free day. My free day is Sunday. I am now trying Saturday night - Sunday afternoon.
    Try not to go completely overboard on your free day. If you do just climb back up to a well place.

You can do it, we know you can.