Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

Options
OMG! I made this soup for dinner tonight and it was SO good! It was creamy and rich; I felt like I was eating something sinful! When I make it again, I will probably use two apples instead of only one. Hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
Squash - Butternut, raw, 3 cup, cubes
Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium
Lipton Recipe Secrets - Onion Recipe Soup & Dip Mix, 4 tbsp (one packet)
Philadelphia Cream Cheese - Neufchatel 1/3 Less Fat, 4 oz
Instant Bouillion Chicken Cubes, 2 Cubes
Frank's Red Hot Sauce, 1 tsp. (could be omitted)

Boil 4 cups water, bouillion cubes and onion soup mix. Add squash and apples and boil on med. high for about 20 minutes. Puree mixture in food processor or blender. Return to pot and add neufchatel cheese and hot sauce (if desired). Stir until cheese is melted.

Makes about 6 cups for a total of 631 calories; about 105 calories/cup

Replies

• ldbenincasa
    Options
    Oops, I forgot to add to peel the squash and cut into 1 inch cubes. Also core and slice the apples.
  • meisen1116
    Options
    This sounds so good. How do you enter this into your daily food count on this site?
    I have made two recipes this weekend - both of which I could easily add up the calories of the ingredients and divide by portion to get the calories per portion - but couldn't just enter that in...any suggestions?
  • johanna978
    Options
    hi iam new my name johanna978 i never heard of this i love all kinds of soups so i am going to try it and i will let you know in a few days ok
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    I'm not sure of the best way, but I enter all of the ingredients (total amounts) into the meal that I am having it for, i.e. dinner. Then I click on "remember my meal" (or whatever is says). I rename it and save it. I see the total calories for the entire dish and decide how much of the dish I am going to eat. Then I delete all of the individual ingredients from my food log and record the food as the name I gave it and the desired fraction of the meal that I am eating. Tonight I ate 1/3 of the total soup (2 cups), so I just logged .33 of the meal I had saved. Not sure if that makes any sense, but that is the best way I have figured out to do it. Hopefully someone else has a better way!
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sounds super yummy! Thanks for sharing!
  • ZuzanaFan
    Options
    I made this today and it was AMAZING!!! A GREAT soup. I took a bowl to 3 different neighbors (we like to share recipes) and they were all in heaven just as I was! Easy recipe! However, if you are new to peeling and slicing butternut squash, the trick is to cut off the top and bottom ends and then to place it upright on a cutting board and use a potato peeler to peel it! This is actually very easy surprisenly enough. Then once it is peeled, slice it in the middle from top to bottom and then spoon out the seeded area. Then cut into slices and cube the slices. Actually very easy. You can also peel the apples using the potato peeler too! Works great! I ate the soup with one of my tuna melt sandwiches (search for Tuna Melt - 4 servings in the food bank for the recipe). This was a great dinner! Thank you so much for the wonderful soup recipe!
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous! I made it with fat-free cream cheese. I entered the recipe into sparkrecipes.com and this is the nutritional info they gave per 1-cup serving: 86.3 calories, 0.2g fat (0.1g polysaturated), 3.3mg cholesterol, 700.3mg sodium, 318.5mg potassium, 17.9g carbohydrates (3.6g fiber, 1.0g sugars), 4.7g protein. The sodium count does bother me, but I am going to play with it. Maybe use fresh onions instead of the soup mix, maybe try to find low-sodium chicken broth to use instead of the bouillion cubes...

Thanks again for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummo!