Anyone else limited due to back problems?

Options
shankylmor
shankylmor Posts: 19 Member
Hi,
I've been on here for awhile now and felt shy to introduce myself. I've lost 15 lbs so far and can notice a change in my clothing which feels wonderful!! But, It feels as though it's taking me forever to reach my goal. Unfortunately, I am very limited with exercise due to back problems from a severe vehicle accident years ago.
Is there anyone else here in a similar situation where you are trying to loose weight but can't really work out much?

Height 5ft 4
SW 168.4 lbs
CW 153.4 lbs
GW 140 lb

Replies

• Flygirl214
    Flygirl214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not limited by back problems, but I am limited by a bad right knee and left shoulder. Trust me, any injury can take its toll on your workout. What type of workout program are you doing? I was a personal trainer for a long time. I might be able to give you ideas on how you can safely modify the exercises so you can do them still. Add me as a friend if you like. I'm happy to help.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery, which at one point limited me. I was told not to run anymore but eventually I resumed. I injured my ankle earlier this year and it's taking forever to heal.

Watch your calorie intake very carefully.

Try to do limited strength training, if possible.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been on here for awhile now and felt shy to introduce myself. I've lost 15 lbs so far and can notice a change in my clothing which feels wonderful!! But, It feels as though it's taking me forever to reach my goal. Unfortunately, I am very limited with exercise due to back problems from a severe vehicle accident years ago.
    Is there anyone else here in a similar situation where you are trying to loose weight but can't really work out much?

Height 5ft 4
    SW 168.4 lbs
    CW 153.4 lbs
    GW 140 lb

Are you able to swim?
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not sure how bad your pain is. I do live with mine. I have been in a number of cars accidents and the last one about a year ago took me out worse than the others.

I had an MRI taken of my spine and found out that my neck has about 4 bulging and/or herniated discs. My lower back has about 5 bulging and/or herniated discs. The muscle spasms I had were unbelievable. I tried different activities until I found one that hurt the least. I ended up with cycling. Now I know, if I fall or get it, it'll throw me into a downward spiral, but I needed to do something,

Along with the bike riding and weight training at the gym(light weights, high reps), I have managed to go from 210lbs to my current weight of around 171lbs. Goal = 165lbs.

Since the drop in weight, I have noticed a HUGE difference in the lack of pain. I do A LOT of stretched that I learned from a physical therapist along with isometric exercises. Its a daily routine along with rolling on foam roller to stretch/crack my back.

When the pain gets to me on some days, I do take a Mobic and just relax. I feel at times if I could go immobile for about 7 days, I bet I'd feel a lot better. Alas, with 3 kids, I don't see that happening anytime soon...lol

Some weeks I'll take Naproxen for about 2 or 3 days with a Mobic at night, but for the most part, the stretching has worked miracles for me.

So mine is probably not as bad as yours, but my doctor did tell me that its more important for me to stay active with my spine the way it is, rather than being sedentary. He did say though as I get older, this will be the cross I have to bear....
  • shankylmor
    Options
    I'm walking 2-3 days per week, doing leg lifts, and stair stepping so far. I do have some free weights at home that I could use if I knew safe of using them without putting strain on my neck or back.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have a dysfunctional sacroiliac joint which has flare ups, so I can only excercise when the joint is in "remission" I have regular physio and she has given me some excercises to loosen and strengthen the joint up which seems to have helped a lot. So I am in a position where I feel strong enough to do a bit more excercise soon. I am terrified I am going to injure it again but the stronger my muscles get the less flare ups I should get so going to give it a try.

During a flare up I have to crawl to the toilet the pain is so bad and the spasms mean I can't stand up, I am hoping losing the weight and the excercises will make a flare up less debilitating.

I have lost 29 pounds through calorie counting and very little excercise.
  • shankylmor
    Options
    I used to jog 5km/day and go to the gym 4 days a week up until 3 years ago. It makes me sad not being able to jog anymore. I have tried a couple times and only last 1/2km before I feel it. Maybe I will build up to it again. I miss it more than anything...except maybe kayaking.
    I've limited my calorie intake to 1200 but most of the time end up below that lately. What I do eat is pretty healthy, usually clean and organic when possible.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't have back problems. However i do have tachycardia and a fainting disorder. I cannot stand long. I limit my rounds of wii fit and walking. I also do my powerspin.
  • poncito
    poncito Posts: 19
    Options
    start biking
  • shankylmor
    Options
    I've stenosis in my lower back with numerous bulged and herniated discs throughout my spine. My neck herniations are the worst right now. My accident caused some compression injuries with crushed vertebras.
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Yep, I can't run or do any kind of jumping thanks to my back. I've been getting by with dancing though ^^
  • shankylmor
    Options
    Swimming sounds awesome. Never thought of it. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
  • shankylmor
    Options
    I so feel for you. I know exactly what you are talking about. There have been periods where I'm in so much pain I can't sit , stand or lay down without pain. Getting up from a sitting position made me yelp and walk hunched over like a little old lady. It can be terrible when acting up.
  • shankylmor
    Options
    I bought the Zumba game for my x-box. Haven't tried it yet though.
  • shankylmor
    Options
    I love to dance.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and I walk (about 25-30 miles a week), swim and lift light weights, garden, mow, etc. . It's hard to swim on my stomach because of the neck/back pain so I usually swim on my back and due to a shoulder problem I cant put one arm above my head while on my back so I just wing it and just get across the pool somehow. lol At least I'm doing something.
    I also do water aerobics twice a week and love it.
    I can't do floor exercises because I have so much pain I can't even sit on the floor. It's hard to describe but fibro feels like you have severe bruises everywhere. I can do situps in bed tho lol.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I had an accident and had a fusion and 3 other back/neck surgeries. I use an elliptical at the gym because it has zero stress to back and knees. I also started using a total gym to work out. I find the cables and body weight easier on my back than weights. I am trying yoga this week..........pray for me lol!
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    Options
    Similar situation. I was involved in a major accident that has left me 10% use of my left foot. Even walking causes me pain. But I grit my teeth and do it any way. I figure if lose the weight and get more fit my body has less of a chance of getting worse.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    I have similar back problems but mine were caused by sports versus an accident. I use walking as my exercise and try to get in a couple of miles per day. Having the weight under control makes a huge difference in pressure on the spine.

Keep going - you are doing really terrific.
  • Bogz8
    Bogz8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just joined here as a result of gaining a lot of weight from a bad car accident I was in about 6 months ago. I used to be extremely active, and now I'm also limited in movement because of the 6 herniated discs, whiplash, and nerve damage I was left with from this accident. Good for you for losing 15 pounds! That's inspirational -- knowing that it's hard for me to do much, it helps to know that I'm not alone and it can be done. I hope that you start feeling better.....I hope I do to...I think that the added weight does not help for any injury, no less the back. Keep up the good work.....