Options
I just made my first protein smothie and it was AWFUL. Here is the recipe:

1 scoop JM Vanilla whey protein
1/2 c strawberries
1/2 sm banana
1 c baby spinach
2 oz baby carrots
3 tsp REAL sugar

Normally when I make a smoothie I use above recipe without the powder and I love it. So Im guessing the JM protein powder brought the taste down a bit.

What protein powder would you suggest that has pleasing vanilla taste.
Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I think a good vanilla whey protein powder may be impossible to find.
  • cckellympls
    cckellympls Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the Herbalife vanilla protein shake. Yummy with what ever i use with it.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    body fortress super advanced whey protein vanilla is pretty good.

and yes JM's protein powder is gross!
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just do a simple one to not have too many calories in it.

my recipe is
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein (of course use any flavor u have)
    1 cup almond milk (or any milk u like but almond is super good)
    2 ice cubes

i add the almond milk than the powder and blend in my magic bullet look alike then add the ice and blend more. tastes just like a shake.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I use Amp Vanilla Whey Protein powder by GNC but I mix it with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Tastes good just like that.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    I like EAS. My flavor preference is vanilla. My pops likes Muscle Milk, Chocolate. Both are sold at Costco and/or Sam's Club. I think they both taste pretty good, but the Muscle Milk has twice the amount of kcal per gram of protein. Maybe you just need a different brand, or one w/ a higher/lower sugar content.

My regular protein shakes:
    * Banana+whole milk+cinnamon+EAS vanilla
    * Banana+half an avocado+whole milk+EAS vanilla
    * Banana+strawberries+whole milk+EAS vanilla
    * Banana+whole milk+Muscle Milk chocolate

^all blended with a small (about 1/8 c. crushed ice)
    Obviously, the type of milk doesn't matter. Nonfat typically gives about the same amount of protein per 8 fl.oz. (about 8g).
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of Met RX stuff both chocolate and vanilla. I don't even need to add sugar to it.
  • estheramar
    estheramar Posts: 1
    Options
    I like Visalus Vi-Shape Nutritional Shake Mix...high in protein, low in sugars, and tastes great.
    It's sweet cream flavor...smells and tastes like cake-mix.
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    I though of the following after my first post:

Perhaps you do not like the texture difference. High protein content (of protein powder) translates to high amino acid content, bc proteins are made of amino acids. Amino acids are emulsifiers, the chemistry of which I will not get into. Other emulsifiers? Egg yolks, lecithin and mustard seeds. These are used to give mayonnaises, aiolis and bearnaises their texture. Maybe it is simply a texture issue that does not agree with you. If you want to continue using protein powders but still find that using them in smoothies isn't to your taste, I sugget you might try mixing your powder with just milk or just water and trying it that way.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i have found that vanilla protein powder (in my opinion) sucks in smoothies. i only use it to bake with. for protein shakes i either use chocolate caramel, chocolate, or banana cream.... and they are super YUMMY!!! (i personally use GNC's whey protein)
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    the jillian michaels prtein powder is so gross.. Try Isofemme French Vanilla. Or Weider 100% protein.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like EAS's vanilla protein powder. I've had their whey as well as Myplex and like them both. You might also go to a GNC or some other health store because some of them have open bags in the back and can actually let you sample some. If not, get on some of the sites as some of the companies will send you samples.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I like EAS 100% Whey. If I use chocolate, I just mix with skim milk, but with vanilla I use all kinds of fruits and juices. Usually, I just mix 1 scoop of protein with a banana, half a dozen frozen strawberries, and a cup of orange juice. I've stated using Strawberry Banana Nectar instead of the orange juice, though, and like the taste better. You can pretty much pick any fruits and juices though. I just go with about a cup of fruit (frozen works best) and a cup of juice.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I do chocolate whey with almond milk and peanut butter or cold coffee. I sometimes add cocoa powder for a more dark chocolate taste. I use my blender heavily. Can't stand clumps.
    Or I put the chocolate whey into a serving of plain yogurt. Try using the vanilla and just add cocoa powder to it.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just made my first protein smothie and it was AWFUL. Here is the recipe:

1 scoop JM Vanilla whey protein
    1/2 c strawberries
    1/2 sm banana
    1 c baby spinach
    2 oz baby carrots
    3 tsp REAL sugar

Normally when I make a smoothie I use above recipe without the powder and I love it. So Im guessing the JM protein powder brought the taste down a bit.

What protein powder would you suggest that has pleasing vanilla taste.
    Thanks in advance everyone!

I don't particually like vanilla to begin with, so maybe just try the powder w/another recipe? JM's Chocolate is good, I just started using that one.
  • rsmblue
    Options
    I like EAS's vanilla protein powder. I've had their whey as well as Myplex and like them both. You might also go to a GNC or some other health store because some of them have open bags in the back and can actually let you sample some. If not, get on some of the sites as some of the companies will send you samples.

I like using GNC too, bcs of their Refund/Exchange policy. If you purchase one from there and don't like it, you usually have 30 days to return/exchange it for another one.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    you have to ease into it. skip the spinach at first. toss the whey protein. add hemp seed protein (i'd skip the sugar too, but that's up to you. maybe go with agave nectar if you need the sweet).
  • rsmblue
    Options
    the jillian michaels prtein powder is so gross.. Try Isofemme French Vanilla. Or Weider 100% protein.

I don't think that's true, at least as far as the Chocolate goes. I'm very picky about protein powder, I usually just drink ready-
    made shakes, and the chocolate is pretty good.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I just had my first protein drink with almond milk and cows milk a few days ago. I agree. It's yuck. I'm now mixing chocolate whey with an egg and making a pancake out of it in the morning...it's delicious. Also, plain greek yogurt with chocolate whey is also delicious.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I like pure protein in vanilla creme