Heel Pain

Options
chatonx
chatonx Posts: 32 Member
So this isn't your normal pain-related post. This is not a workout related injury. My exercise lately has consisted of very low impact work outs (think yoga and swimming). Also, this pain does not have any relationship to how hard I work out. Let me explain.

Every few weeks I will wake up with my left heel swollen and in so much pain I can barely walk. After about 24-48 hours the pain will suddenly go away.

My boyfriend and I were going over what the cause could be and he jokingly said, "Oh it's gout!" Before anyone says that, I don't eat red meat nor do I drink.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences issues like this?

Also, before anyone suggests going to a doctor, I am working with my employer to get insurance but.. that won't be for several weeks so..

Replies

• Flygirl214
    Flygirl214 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My friend had a similar issue, although hers came from working on her feet the whole day. She had developed bone spurs in both heels. The pain she described sounds exactly like yours. I understand that you need to wait for your insurance, but this is definitely not normal and you have to get it checked out as soon as you're able. In the meantime, soak your feet, ice them if they swell and avoid excessive periods of standing if you can.
  • chatonx
    Options
    My friend had a similar issue, although hers came from working on her feet the whole day. She had developed bone spurs in both heels. The pain she described sounds exactly like yours. I understand that you need to wait for your insurance, but this is definitely not normal and you have to get it checked out as soon as you're able. In the meantime, soak your feet, ice them if they swell and avoid excessive periods of standing if you can.

I was thinking it might be that. The pain originally started when I began working as a cashier (standing for 8-10 hours) last summer so.. it may very well be heel spurs.

Thanks for the input.
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Sonds like plantar fasciitis. Look it up and see if it sound like what you have.

I have this from time to time. Flat shoes make it worse for me. I got some Dr. Scolls gel insoles and that made it better for when i have to wear flats. Also some anti inflamatories, like Motrin.

It comes and goes and seems to be for no reason, but twice now it has been so bad that it hurt to even stand up. I have also had a lot of luck using a tennis ball unde my foot and rolling it back and forth as soon as it starts and that helps it from getting worse.

I hope this help you

edited to add: also wedge shoes seem to be the only ones i can now wear for long periods of time
  • TJamesChristensen
    Options
    Try looking into plantar fasciitis (damage to ligament on bottom of foot). Some of your symptoms sound similar.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sonds like plantar fasciitis. Look it up and see if it sound like what you have.

I have this from time to time. Flat shoes make it worse for me. I got some Dr. Scolls gel insoles and that made it better for when i have to wear flats. Also some anti inflamatories, like Motrin.

It comes and goes and seems to be for no reason, but twice now it has been so bad that it hurt to even stand up. I have also had a lot of luck using a tennis ball unde my foot and rolling it back and forth as soon as it starts and that helps it from getting worse.

I hope this help you

edited to add: also wedge shoes seem to be the only ones i can now wear for long periods of time

I think it sounds like plantar fasciitis, too.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I hope this help you

Also, calf stretches seem to work if it is plantar fascitis. There is also a contraption, like an ankle brace looking thing, that holds the foot at a 90 degree angle while you sleep. Weird until you get used to it, but it did help. Obviously, comfortable shoes are a MUST.
  • chatonx
    Options
    Hm. That might be it actually. Everything sounds familiar.. Time to get better shoes I believe.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So this isn't your normal pain-related post. This is not a workout related injury. My exercise lately has consisted of very low impact work outs (think yoga and swimming). Also, this pain does not have any relationship to how hard I work out. Let me explain.

Every few weeks I will wake up with my left heel swollen and in so much pain I can barely walk. After about 24-48 hours the pain will suddenly go away.

My boyfriend and I were going over what the cause could be and he jokingly said, "Oh it's gout!" Before anyone says that, I don't eat red meat nor do I drink.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences issues like this?

Also, before anyone suggests going to a doctor, I am working with my employer to get insurance but.. that won't be for several weeks so..

I had the same problem with my right heel. I went to the chiropodist and he told me I had bursitis. He drained the fluid and said it might come back, get smaller or just go away. In your case it could be a heel burr.