Supplement Crazy :)

Options
schustc
schustc Posts: 428 Member
Beginning to think I'm going crazy with all the supplements. And what's worse, I don't think I am taking enough -here's my rundown this evening (all at once, and a lot of PILLS)...

L- Glutamine 2 pills (to keep my immunity up while weight training)
Glucosomine/chondrotin - 3 pills (to help my sorry knees that crunch with nearly every flexing movement)
Biotin - 1 pill (to - well - a hopeful attempt to keep my skin in good condition as I drop the next 90 pounds :( )
multi-vitamin 1 pill (well that's self explanatory)
B complex vitamin 1 pill (to help with a variety of things, including prepping for a pregnancy in the next few months)
Royal Jelly 2 pills ( strictly for fertility enhancement)

that's 10. I haven't added the omega one that I know a lot of people are taking yet.

Does this seem excessive?

what's everyone else out there doing?

Replies

• sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Excessive? From my point of view, yes. It's also largely a waste of money.

Glucosamine/chondroitin has been debunked some time ago. It really doesn't help--and I know that from experience, having severe osteoarthritis and no cartilage left in both knees.

L-Glutamine I can't comment on, but in my experience one of the best and cheapest (and most delicious) immune system boosters is fresh ginger.

Recent studies have cast doubt on multivitamins. The consensus now seems to be that they're surplus to requirements if you're eating a balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh produce.

Biotin--personal experience? Did nothing for me. Again, a balanced diet should do the trick.

As for the pregnancy-prep, I can't comment.

Having said all that, of course it's a personal decision what you do and don't take. I can't see any harm in it (except to your wallet) as long as you don't overdo it.

The only supplements I'm taking are a complex of digestive enzymes and 4000 mg of fish oil, because I'm hypothyroid and the enzymes and oil are the one thing that keeps me regular.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I read somewhere, the best supplements are Omega 3 Fish Oil and Vitamin B 12. Everything else would not be neccessary. I take both and Berberine.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It does seem a little excessive, though to be fair I do take a multi due to my being a competitive athlete, so for general support - especially with the stresses my body goes through
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    This is what I take while Im on a cut. It is different if I am bulking but here goes. I take L-Argentine, NO Explode, Cell Mass, Protein Powder, Multivitamin, CLA, Ripped Fuel. Fish Oil, Amino X. I think thats it.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I don't take a lot of supplements
    I do a prenatal vitamin
    and D-3
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't take the glucosamine/chrondroitin tablets... but my dog does! He was born with severe hip dysplasia in both hips and was scheduled for surgery when he turned 18 months. During this time, we added the glucosamine tablets to his dinner every night because the vet suggested it would help with the joint inflammation -- and it did. He went from hobbling to jumping up on his back legs within 2 weeks. When we finally went in for the surgery, the surgeon said he was no longer clinical -- he still had dysplasia, but it no longer warranted the surgery. He suggested we continue with the supplements!

As for me: I take Omega 3 + D3 as needed for inflammation (2-6 capsules a day), B complex with folic acid (I tablet a day), vitamin C (1,000mg day, up to 10,000mg/day if I feel a cold coming on), also acidophilus and papaya enzyme with each meal.

My philosophy is that it generally doesn't hurt to try something, but if I don't see a truly noticeable difference, I drop it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Well, I take a multi-vit, an additional Vitamin D supplement and a Probiotic supplement. 3 caps total. But there was a time I was taking 18(!) a day. I trimmed what I didn't think was actually helping and was left with the above :)
  • Kayjaybee88
    Kayjaybee88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Doesn't seem excessive to me. I used to take many more than that. I've scaled it down quite a bit. I also used to take glucosamine for my bad hip, but just had that replaced =) so quit taking that. I am now going to try taking things to help with metabolism and appetite suppression. I just ordered these things so haven't started taking them yet:
    Macha tea 3x/day for metabolism
    Fennel Tea in the evening for hunger
    Probiotic
    Chitosan to absorb the fat you eat
    GLA (borage oil) to help with belly fat
    African Mango to help appetite suppression
    Chia Seeds before meals to help you feel full so you eat less
    Prickly Pear Cactus for blood sugar and to help feel full
    Vitamin D, just because I am deficient
    Iron and vitamin c together, again deficient in iron
    milk thistle for liver function
    fenugreek seed for blood sugar and carb metabolism
    I'll probably find a few more that I feel like I absolutely must have too at some point -). Not really sure how good any of them really are.
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My diet is quite restrictive (yes, I know....) but I eat clean and aim high on the protein, I'm also veggie...
    So here goes:

B-complex for energy, immune and metabolism (I have noticed a distinct improvement in energy levels)
    Calcium w/ vitamin D
    Multi-vit + Iron
    Hemp Protein containing fibre, vits and essential amino acids usually found in meats

I am also considering introducing a zinc supplement although I used to take this and it failed to make much difference....
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as far as how much. I take 3 fish oils, 2 glutamines (not everyday), 4 leukic, 2 BCAA pills, along with my protein powders and pre-workout drinks. I've also got cla pills and creatine coming in tuesday.. But some of it wasn't out of my pocket so it isn't so bad. I'll probably cut a little out when I run out of it all.
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    Kayjaybee... You must watch Dr. Oz!! All those have been mentioned on his show!! Do you have anything to say about any of these? Which ones work? Any success??
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    multivitamin, beta alanine, jack3d OR AC3d for preworkout, lots of whey protein, createine monohydrate.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I disagree. My family and I take a lot of supplements and it helps keep us healthy from excessive doctor trips, antibiotics and unnatural medicine.

B's help with stress hormones
    I could not live without my B12 for energy, I do not do caffeine and it's non-jittery energy.
    Biotin is for hair/nails and it will make them grow faster, helps people who have had hair loss from things like thyroid issues, etc.
    Glucosamine- I cannot comment on.
    L-Glutamine does two things, it helps muscles so when I workout super hard, I do not feel it at all the next few days. It also repairs the stomach lining for people with stomach issues like in Crohn's, Colitis, gluten allergies, IBS, Leaky Gut Syndrome, etc and I take it for both reasons.

C helps with stress, energy, and helps keep me from colds, I do not get enough citrus.
    A lot of women need iron because of that time of the month, and because of low iron stores which can cause hair loss, fatigue, tiredness, hormonal issues, pale skin, sallow eyes, to get sick a lot, etc.
    I take Eve Primrose Oil because it helps with PMS symptoms and helps with breast tenderness, etc and I know it does because when I don't take it, I notice the difference.
    I take wild salmon oil, good for brain, heart, skin, good omegas, depression and you name it.
    Probiotic because our guts suffer from foods having too much sugar in them, processed, empty carbs, etc.
    Vitamin D because I live in the Northwest, it's a given. Many people get tired and depression without it, hair loss, fatigue, and you name it.
    Calcium for hormonal balance- I am dairy-free so it makes sense and balances out other minerals/vitamins.
    Magnesium regulates the heart/heart beat/heart rate, it's good for people with thyroid conditions, it helps stress and to calm you.
    Zinc- helps you not get sick, helps thyroid, etc.
    Multivitamin- the jury's out on that.
    Amino Acids- help for a number of reasons, energy, metabolism, sleep well at night, fuel your body, depression, etc.

I guess it depends on how much you get from your diet, which is not much especially with food nowadays.

Excessive? From my point of view, yes. It's also largely a waste of money.

Glucosamine/chondroitin has been debunked some time ago. It really doesn't help--and I know that from experience, having severe osteoarthritis and no cartilage left in both knees.

L-Glutamine I can't comment on, but in my experience one of the best and cheapest (and most delicious) immune system boosters is fresh ginger.

Recent studies have cast doubt on multivitamins. The consensus now seems to be that they're surplus to requirements if you're eating a balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh produce.

Biotin--personal experience? Did nothing for me. Again, a balanced diet should do the trick.

As for the pregnancy-prep, I can't comment.

Having said all that, of course it's a personal decision what you do and don't take. I can't see any harm in it (except to your wallet) as long as you don't overdo it.

The only supplements I'm taking are a complex of digestive enzymes and 4000 mg of fish oil, because I'm hypothyroid and the enzymes and oil are the one thing that keeps me regular.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i only take a pre-workout (jack3d, pre-ignition, etc) before workouts, and only if I am tired since I go at midnight after work

and a scoop of whey after i work out, or with a low protein meal

If i feel a cold coming on i pop some vit-c for a few days
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be trying to conceive in the next couple months I would recommend you swap out your muli vitamin and b vitamin for a prenatal vitamin. That will definately have the extra folic acid in it. Really all women of child baring age should take a supplement formulated for women which contain folic acid because it is most needed at the very beginning of pregnancy before most women even know they have conceived. Also I would highly recommend you start taking the Omega 3 supplement now too as they are super beneficial to a baby's brain development. Good Luck :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You don't need any of that. Waste of money. These people that recommend otherwise clearly do not have a Nutrition Science degree, which I can tell you is FAR different from all the hear say on the internet (even on seemingly legitimate sites like livestrong) and even from what doctors with their little nutrition education may tell you.

Amino acid supplements are especially dangerous. You don't want to throw off your bodies natural ratio of the different types of aas.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I love all the doctors in here and all the " blah blah has recently been debunked". Two years from now that debunking will be debunked and so on and so forth.

What is much more helpful is to hear from people who have actual experience with their own bodies and the results. Otherwise, shut up.

If it makes you happy, take them. It worked for Kurt Cobain.

Edit: Maybe I should practice what I preach. I have had good results with creatine monohydrate and N0Xplode (caffeine free) for pre-workout, as well as whey protein or various protein mixes. I'm trying BCAAs now as well, but don't have anything to report so far.
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    You don't need any of that. Waste of money. These people that recommend otherwise clearly do not have a Nutrition Science degree, which I can tell you is FAR different from all the hear say on the internet (even on seemingly legitimate sites like livestrong) and even from what doctors with their little nutrition education may tell you.

Amino acid supplements are especially dangerous. You don't want to throw off your bodies natural ratio of the different types of aas.

lol@ nutrition sciences.
    Also, aas means anabolic androgenic steroids. Your body only produces one of them, testosterone. It's created from fat, not amino acids.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Are you eating well on top of all that?

It is easy to read about all the benefits of this pill/supplement etc... and feel it is important.

At the very least add one at a time and give it time to see if it works for you.

Could be placebo too

My knees make a lot of noises. From what I have read it is pretty common and not harmful in most cases.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    lol guess i woould say its not...

Seeing as i take quite a few too

CLA's 3x a day
    Multivitamin 1x a day
    Omega-3 3x a day
    Green Tea Extract 2x a day
    Vitamin D3 3x a day (blood test came in low on this so dr said to bump up my intake)

BCAA's throughout the day